Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

moulesy replied on 23/02/2022 08:32

Posted on 19/02/2022 20:11 by nelliethehooker

After the news that they were considering charging for lateral flow test I thought we might get a supply in before it happened. So yesterday I ordered a pack for each of us, and they were posted throughout letter box before 3 pm today. Now that's service for you.

Posted on 23/02/2022 08:32

Wise move, Nellie,  we've done the same. 

And according to this report anyway the sharks are lining up to make big money out of Joe Public over the next few months!  yell

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/22/boots-unveils-lateral-flow-test-prices-as-uk-ends-free-test-packs

RedKite replied on 23/02/2022 09:01

Posted on 23/02/2022 09:01

We have bought some as well because we could get them from larger supermarkets here until 15th February at cost price as now they are only sold again at Pharmacies although they are selling a bit cheaper but not cost price, not had the free give away here.

replied on 23/02/2022 09:17

Posted on 23/02/2022 09:17

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2022 11:03

Posted on 23/02/2022 11:03

We have done same. Ordered a pack online.

(Slightly off topic, but still health related. England government is looking at raising age for free prescriptions to 66. And it will include those who are currently 60-65 and at the moment receiving free prescriptions.) Not sure how it might affect those like my OH who have no option but to take life saving drugs, I know Cancer patients at one time could apply for an exemption certificate. ☹️

Bakers2 replied on 23/02/2022 14:05

Posted on 23/02/2022 11:03 by Takethedogalong

We have done same. Ordered a pack online.

(Slightly off topic, but still health related. England government is looking at raising age for free prescriptions to 66. And it will include those who are currently 60-65 and at the moment receiving free prescriptions.) Not sure how it might affect those like my OH who have no option but to take life saving drugs, I know Cancer patients at one time could apply for an exemption certificate. ☹️

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:05

Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't read or heard about prescription charge change. Luckily we're OK.

I too have never understood, 'free' prescription criteria I got them for an thyroid condition but OH didn't following a heart attack. Bizarre! We used to buy a 'season ticket'. Not sure these days how many items you'd require to make it cost effective.did they ever resolve the HRT prescription conundrum where a course require 2 tablets in the one prescription? They used to charge it as 2 items......

I've just ordered more LFT  but could only order one, I'll do another tomorrow.

Cornersteady replied on 23/02/2022 14:28

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:05 by Bakers2

Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't read or heard about prescription charge change. Luckily we're OK.

I too have never understood, 'free' prescription criteria I got them for an thyroid condition but OH didn't following a heart attack. Bizarre! We used to buy a 'season ticket'. Not sure these days how many items you'd require to make it cost effective.did they ever resolve the HRT prescription conundrum where a course require 2 tablets in the one prescription? They used to charge it as 2 items......

I've just ordered more LFT  but could only order one, I'll do another tomorrow.

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:28

When I used to buy the 'season ticket' it was just over £100, £104 rings a bell? I see now it £108.10 and prescription charges are £9.35 so if you needed a single item monthly prescription  you'd save £4.10 by having it. Of course if you need more than one item then it is certainly a good idea.

Someone said somewhere to me today that you can now only order one LFT pack every three days? 

Tinwheeler replied on 23/02/2022 14:41

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:28 by Cornersteady

When I used to buy the 'season ticket' it was just over £100, £104 rings a bell? I see now it £108.10 and prescription charges are £9.35 so if you needed a single item monthly prescription  you'd save £4.10 by having it. Of course if you need more than one item then it is certainly a good idea.

Someone said somewhere to me today that you can now only order one LFT pack every three days? 

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:41

You can order test packs every 3 days, Corners, and if you do it by means of obtaining a code number which you show to the pharmacist, they usually give out 2 packs in my experience.

With regard to prescription 'season tickets', although they last for 12 months it is possible to obtain 13 repeats in that time by ordering every 4 weeks. Once the ticket expires you can then wait until you need the next lot of pills before buying a new one so, in reality, a ticket can last 14 months or so.

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2022 15:38

Posted on 23/02/2022 15:38

Hope Wales don't follow that trend (prescriptions), although being over the limit so to speak it won't affect either of us.

Wherenext replied on 23/02/2022 15:47

Posted on 23/02/2022 15:47

So the great Panjandrum has declared that we must all take personal responsibilty from now on, presumably like he did. Good luck with that.

Went to B&Q this afternoon which is in England. About 2% of people of the population were wearing masks, yep us idiots. Mix of demographics in there. Called in just over the border at Winfields in Wales and all of the customers and staff were wearing masks. In fact the staff turned 2 people away who refused to wear them.

OH did ask me how long we would continue with them, meaning us two personally not Wales as a country. If we feel safe we won't, if we don't feel safe then we'll try to avoid going into places. Don't know how long that will last but we managed it last year on holiday but that was when institutions like NT still insisted on customers and members wearing them. Can't see them continuing for much longer.

Cornersteady replied on 23/02/2022 17:30

Posted on 23/02/2022 14:41 by Tinwheeler

You can order test packs every 3 days, Corners, and if you do it by means of obtaining a code number which you show to the pharmacist, they usually give out 2 packs in my experience.

With regard to prescription 'season tickets', although they last for 12 months it is possible to obtain 13 repeats in that time by ordering every 4 weeks. Once the ticket expires you can then wait until you need the next lot of pills before buying a new one so, in reality, a ticket can last 14 months or so.

Posted on 23/02/2022 17:30

We've never done the pharmacist route, just get them delivered. Also the 'children' get them from work as they're supposed to test twice weekly.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook