Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

JVB66 replied on 20/07/2021 11:34

Posted on 20/07/2021 10:10 by SteveL

There is little difference now with what is happening with Covid 19 except that we now know more or less daily how many are infected, how many need hospitalisation and how many die.

I would disagree. The transmissibility is higher and this is happening in summer. A time when the health service normally gets a bit of a break.

Posted on 20/07/2021 11:34

I wonder if the Delta variant coming from a hot country India is why it is so transmissable at this time of year in this country, as it seems the variat we had last year seemed to be subdued at this time last yearundecided

LLM replied on 20/07/2021 11:55

Posted on 20/07/2021 10:10 by SteveL

There is little difference now with what is happening with Covid 19 except that we now know more or less daily how many are infected, how many need hospitalisation and how many die.

I would disagree. The transmissibility is higher and this is happening in summer. A time when the health service normally gets a bit of a break.

Posted on 20/07/2021 11:55

On what grounds do you disagree with the data published daily?  

ScottyH56 replied on 20/07/2021 16:55

Posted on 20/07/2021 16:55

Hello All

The latest guidance issued by the club has landed in my inbox and I see that beyond a recommendation to wear face coverings everything is more or less back to normal in the toilet blocks.

What still confuses me is that the Club still makes no reference to the subject of ventilation and I wonder if any guidance has been sent to sites on the importance of keeping windows open. I don't mind internal spaces as long as I can feel a bit of airflow but on my last visit to a site when I went to the block at 8.45 am I saw all the windows were closed - I went around opening them myself.  I noticed a cleaner actually closed the only window in the disabled loo. It was 18C and sunny outside so hardly a winter's day. 

Patrick Vallance is constantly on about ventilation. Every pub I go to has windows and doors fully open. It seems very strange that the Club is silent on this and again I wonder if advice has gone out to the sites.

Cheers, Scott (first post!)

Rufs replied on 20/07/2021 17:27

Posted on 20/07/2021 17:27

Here we go again yell!!!!!!

UK records 96 Covid deaths in highest daily figure since MARCH as hospitalisations rise by another third - but weekly growth in cases starts to flatten with 46,558 positive tests

brue replied on 20/07/2021 18:41

Posted on 20/07/2021 16:55 by ScottyH56

Hello All

The latest guidance issued by the club has landed in my inbox and I see that beyond a recommendation to wear face coverings everything is more or less back to normal in the toilet blocks.

What still confuses me is that the Club still makes no reference to the subject of ventilation and I wonder if any guidance has been sent to sites on the importance of keeping windows open. I don't mind internal spaces as long as I can feel a bit of airflow but on my last visit to a site when I went to the block at 8.45 am I saw all the windows were closed - I went around opening them myself.  I noticed a cleaner actually closed the only window in the disabled loo. It was 18C and sunny outside so hardly a winter's day. 

Patrick Vallance is constantly on about ventilation. Every pub I go to has windows and doors fully open. It seems very strange that the Club is silent on this and again I wonder if advice has gone out to the sites.

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:41

Good post Scotty, I would open all the windows too. I've noticed many closed ones in facility blocks this year. Get some air flow through!

Takethedogalong replied on 20/07/2021 18:51

Hello All

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:51

It’s a very valid point Scotty (and welcome, by the way😁) However, it would be difficult for Site staff to monitor continuously. Visitors will just do whatever suits them with the doors and windows in facility blocks🤷‍♀️ By far the safest situation is to simply use your onboard facilities as much as possible, but I do realise that not all outfits are equipped with a loo and shower. We saw a good few smaller outfits had a toilet tent on their pitch on some of the Sites we stayed at last year.
I’m afraid that the Club can only do so much, it’s up to individuals now if they don’t feel fully safe using on site facilities. I would add that having to clean loo blocks (and more than usual) might be a factor in both Clubs starting to experience staff shortages.  It wouldn’t be for me in a pandemic situation, no matter how decent the wage. 

JVB66 replied on 21/07/2021 08:23

Hello All

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:23

I take it that when you spoke to the site staff they did not give a reason for having windows closed? ; and if as you say you saw a cleaner? close the window in the disabled toilet was it a cc site as cleaners are not normally employed?

The doors on the toilet showers on this site are left open after cleaning and inspections, but members it seems close them

ScottyH56 replied on 21/07/2021 08:32

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:51 by Takethedogalong

It’s a very valid point Scotty (and welcome, by the way😁) However, it would be difficult for Site staff to monitor continuously. Visitors will just do whatever suits them with the doors and windows in facility blocks🤷‍♀️ By far the safest situation is to simply use your onboard facilities as much as possible, but I do realise that not all outfits are equipped with a loo and shower. We saw a good few smaller outfits had a toilet tent on their pitch on some of the Sites we stayed at last year.
I’m afraid that the Club can only do so much, it’s up to individuals now if they don’t feel fully safe using on site facilities. I would add that having to clean loo blocks (and more than usual) might be a factor in both Clubs starting to experience staff shortages.  It wouldn’t be for me in a pandemic situation, no matter how decent the wage. 

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:32

Thanks for the welcome!

We just have a VW camper so rely somewhat on the toilet blocks but also are pretty confident about manging the situation as regards our own personal safety. But the size of the pandemic as a whole can be affected by if all leisure and hospitality takes sensible measures.

The Club could replace all the existing Covid notices around toilet blocks with little ones next to each window saying "Keep safe - do not close this window" and the country would be safer.

My wife is a 62 year old teaching assistant and the situation in her mask free environment is managed by having the school windows constantly open. She walks into a Club toilet block and is aghast that windows are shut!

ScottyH56 replied on 21/07/2021 08:42

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:23 by JVB66

I take it that when you spoke to the site staff they did not give a reason for having windows closed? ; and if as you say you saw a cleaner? close the window in the disabled toilet was it a cc site as cleaners are not normally employed?

The doors on the toilet showers on this site are left open after cleaning and inspections, but members it seems close them

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:42

It was a big CC site but this cleaner was from outside. Yes, unusual! Maybe a staff illness.

I am sure that the club staff gets lots of advice on how they should implement Covid safety measures, much of which will have little effect, but I strongly suspect that the biggest safety measure (ensuring adequate ventilation) is missing.

RedKite replied on 21/07/2021 09:08

Posted on 21/07/2021 09:08

New Forest has outside cleaning team 6 days a week.  Agree with windows open but sometimes when they are open folk will close them and usually all showers have vents above them to extract steam and air, also some sites have insect screens on them and some make it difficult to open the windows.

I remember my late mum staying at a relative of my late stepfather near Clacton on Sea and she had all the windows screwed down and my mum was afresh air person windows open all year so a screwdriver was found and windows were open for the first time in about 20 years did caused a few grumbles but she accepted my mum needed air coming in and out, we had a few laughs about over the years, we have windows open most the day here with fly screens on.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook