Steamer Quay refurb removal of non EHU pitches

Hja replied on 20/12/2022 21:41

Posted on 20/12/2022 21:41

Just had my copy of the December magazine and noticed that the economy pitches are to be removed at Steamer Quay as part of the refurbishment.  As I understand it, these are the non-EHU pitches.  Isnt this somewhat short sighted in the current climate?  Surely more will be using off grid as a way of saving money?  We certainly will be next year.  Maybe there is some special issue at this site?  I havnt stayed there, just noticed it in the magazine. 

Comment from the Community Team

Due to a number of posts going off topic and numerous reports about posts that contravened the Community Guidelines we have closed this discussion pending review. Thank you to all our members who have commented in a positive and helpful manner and for member's who have provided us with constructive feedback. 

JVB66 replied on 20/12/2022 21:45

Posted on 20/12/2022 21:45

If reports are correct this organisation is going in the metering of ehu pitches so it will mater not what pitch you use if not wanting hookups

Tinwheeler replied on 20/12/2022 21:50

Posted on 20/12/2022 21:41 by Hja

Just had my copy of the December magazine and noticed that the economy pitches are to be removed at Steamer Quay as part of the refurbishment.  As I understand it, these are the non-EHU pitches.  Isnt this somewhat short sighted in the current climate?  Surely more will be using off grid as a way of saving money?  We certainly will be next year.  Maybe there is some special issue at this site?  I havnt stayed there, just noticed it in the magazine. 

Posted on 20/12/2022 21:50

The site formerly had no EHU pitches, HJA, but the refurb encompasses EHU provision for the first time. Whether this is a move forward or a retrograde step is a matter of opinion.🤷🏻‍♂️

nelliethehooker replied on 20/12/2022 22:02

Posted on 20/12/2022 22:02

I wonder if the site will remain as popular after the refurbishment as it seems to have been when it was without EHU? I guess it's location helps but surely a major attraction was the lack of EHU and the price. No doubt it will be a lot more expensive in the future.

DavidKlyne replied on 20/12/2022 22:06

Posted on 20/12/2022 21:41 by Hja

Posted on 20/12/2022 22:06

Clearly the Club have a long enough new lease to warrant them undertaking a major upgrade of the site. Now I appreciate that the current configuration of the site suits some people but clearly a lot of members won't go to a site without EHU. This upgrade will make it an exceptionally popular campsites I imagine. I don't think the Club have any alternative but to refurbish the site in the same fashion as other sites in the network. Leaving pitches without EHU would not maximise the return on investment? However what they could do is for the "new" Steamer Quay to be the first site with electric meters to be installed which would satisfy both those that don't want EHU and those that do. Because it currently has no EHU's it would be easy to justify the meters, if indeed meters need to be justified? Will they be brave enough to do that?

David

JVB66 replied on 20/12/2022 22:13

Posted on 20/12/2022 22:06 by DavidKlyne

Clearly the Club have a long enough new lease to warrant them undertaking a major upgrade of the site. Now I appreciate that the current configuration of the site suits some people but clearly a lot of members won't go to a site without EHU. This upgrade will make it an exceptionally popular campsites I imagine. I don't think the Club have any alternative but to refurbish the site in the same fashion as other sites in the network. Leaving pitches without EHU would not maximise the return on investment? However what they could do is for the "new" Steamer Quay to be the first site with electric meters to be installed which would satisfy both those that don't want EHU and those that do. Because it currently has no EHU's it would be easy to justify the meters, if indeed meters need to be justified? Will they be brave enough to do that?

David

Posted on 20/12/2022 22:13

Quite possible ,although from what I have been advised the "trial"next year? is to be northern sites

Burgundy replied on 20/12/2022 22:37

Posted on 20/12/2022 22:37

From the website:-

Steamer Quay Club Campsite is due to undergo a full redevelopment.

Economy pitches will be converted to 46 new non-awning serviced pitches, while the work will also see new motor van waste points, new service points, a new electric vehicle charging point and a refurbishment of the toilet block. The campsite is currently closed and is expected to reopen during summer 2023 (subject to planning permission, therefore exact details and dates are subject to change).

brue replied on 20/12/2022 23:11

Posted on 20/12/2022 23:11

I can't recall the site being underused even though it was all non ehu, although it could get soggy in bad weather. I think the idea now is to extend the opening season and squeeze in (3?) more pitches. Because all the new pitches will be serviced the prices will no doubt be high. I hope the roadside tarmac pitches will not form part of the new set up but who knows. 

As said before, just a few yards away motorhomes can stay overnight on the council owned riverside car park for a very reasonable fee. 

peedee replied on 21/12/2022 06:49

Posted on 21/12/2022 06:49

I believe a condition of the new lease i(25 years?) is that the Club develop it. It may not be cut and dried until planning permission is given?

peedee

cyberyacht replied on 21/12/2022 06:55

Posted on 20/12/2022 22:13 by JVB66

Quite possible ,although from what I have been advised the "trial"next year? is to be northern sites

Posted on 21/12/2022 06:55

That is interesting, if true. The further north you are the less solar available. Are CAMC deliberately setting up the trial to fail so that they can say "Nobody wants non EHU" ?

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook