Smart Metering Trial

KieranBSMM replied on 05/04/2023 16:17

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:17

Exciting News! At Wyatts Covert Club Campsite we’re trialling Smart Metering, which means you will only pay for the amount of electricity you use during your stay.

The price quoted for bookings at this campsite excludes electricity (with campsite fees reduced accordingly) and we will only charge you for the precise amount of electricity you use during your stay.

This is something many members have been asking for and we’re really pleased to be able to trial it this year! Find out more at https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/smartmetering/ 

JollyKernow replied on 05/04/2023 16:43

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:17 by KieranBSMM

Exciting News! At Wyatts Covert Club Campsite we’re trialling Smart Metering, which means you will only pay for the amount of electricity you use during your stay.

The price quoted for bookings at this campsite excludes electricity (with campsite fees reduced accordingly) and we will only charge you for the precise amount of electricity you use during your stay.

This is something many members have been asking for and we’re really pleased to be able to trial it this year! Find out more at https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/smartmetering/ 

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:43

Hi Kieran

Maybe you'd like to introduce yourself to the members on here?surprised

JK

Tinwheeler replied on 05/04/2023 16:43

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:43

What’s really interesting is to see the reduction in site fees 👍🏻

The gloom and doom folk reckoned there would be no reduction to compensate. 🤷🏻‍♂️

SteveL replied on 05/04/2023 16:50

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:50

Hopefully the club will make a determined effort to communicate to those booking that they will need a smart phone, pad or lap top whilst on site and secure access to the internet, or risk the CC’s unsecured. 

replied on 05/04/2023 17:38

Posted on 05/04/2023 17:38

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 05/04/2023 17:53

Posted on 05/04/2023 17:38 by

I would like to know by how much the pitch fee is reduced and the unit cost of the power in actual £'s&p, but £'s and p would do 😁.

Posted on 05/04/2023 17:53

If you look at the link in the OP it shows price reductions, however I didn’t see any unit cost for the electricity. I would assume they would have to tell you if asked. Perhaps it will be detailed on the App. Although as I am not going to stay there I will await site reviews interest.

replied on 05/04/2023 18:06

Posted on 05/04/2023 17:53 by SteveL

If you look at the link in the OP it shows price reductions, however I didn’t see any unit cost for the electricity. I would assume they would have to tell you if asked. Perhaps it will be detailed on the App. Although as I am not going to stay there I will await site reviews interest.

Posted on 05/04/2023 18:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

KjellNN replied on 05/04/2023 18:12

Posted on 05/04/2023 18:12

I see the reduction in July is stated as only £1, and that the unit price will be more than domestic prices.

From experience abroad, we know that our caravan fridge/freezer on its own uses 3-4 kWh per 24 hours, and at home we pay almost 35 p per kWh, so even at that price we would be spending over £1 without any battery charging, hot water, lights or TV.

A £1 reduction seems very mean!

Wherenext replied on 05/04/2023 18:15

Posted on 05/04/2023 18:15

I'm all for a trial but I'm wondering whether Wyatts Covert is your "average" site to start such a trial.

I've stayed at this site on a number of times, mainly to gain access to London, so tended to be out for most of the day and sometimes well into the night so my consumption of electricity couldn't be treated as normal. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in using the site as a base, more than I would normally. In addition the site is used by a fair few workers who have to be in the London area.

Would the trial have been better at somewhere like Broadway or Chatsworth where members can use the site to return to more regularly through the day, maybe for lunch, etc.?

Just a thought, not trying to rain on anyones parade as I think the trial is needed.

N1805 replied on 05/04/2023 18:32

Posted on 05/04/2023 18:32

I would also be interested to know whom the OP is and feel it would be good manners to introduce themselves as there is no indication as to whom they are employed by.

I would also be interested to know whom the “Smart Meter online account” is with and wonder if different accounts may be needed for different sites if/when it gets rolled to more sites.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook