"Residential status" of C&CC members

replied on 13/03/2023 21:50

Posted on 13/03/2023 21:50

The user and all related content has been deleted

Tinwheeler replied on 13/03/2023 22:09

Posted on 13/03/2023 22:09

I guess that if the club (any club) has a rule stipulating that sites can only be used for leisure and recreational purposes then it can justify querying what it considers to be excess usage. There are folk who live full time on sites and that certainly doesn’t fall within the leisure description. Whether that breaches any licensing or planning term, I have no idea and it may be just an 'in house' rule. 🤷🏻‍♂️

replied on 13/03/2023 22:27

Posted on 13/03/2023 22:27

Tinwheeler replied on 13/03/2023 22:40

Posted on 13/03/2023 22:40

I know what you mean but it depends what terms the members signed up to. If they’re breaking the rules, they must expect consequences. 

However, I think C&CC will have an onerous job proving a breach of their rule. Canny campers will use both clubs and a mix of other sites and, as you said, have a residential address of convenience.

JollyKernow replied on 14/03/2023 08:48

Posted on 14/03/2023 08:48

There is no such rule with this club. If there is a pitch available anyone can stay on a site for up to 28 nights (still 21 on some) and then leave for a minimum of 48 hours. I can understand maybe restricting length of stay at honeypot sites, hence some of our sites are still 21 days max but how does anyone know or even need to know about someone's status, they could for example be taking a year out to tour the country or any of the examples mentioned. I agree with the op, it's none of their business.

The same thing applies for seasonal pitches. If that "rule" was applied how would it look when they are advertised for sale- eg "buy that pitch for 8 months but you can only use it for 4". 

Seems a bit strange

JK

DavidKlyne replied on 14/03/2023 09:03

Posted on 14/03/2023 09:03

I assume the C&CC have put those rules in place for a reason? The more than 60 days in 3 months seems clearly to be aimed at people that live in their vans full time and maybe at some point the Club have experienced problems? Perhaps a report to a local council that people seem to be living on site permanently? The reporter might not be aware of the need to be off site for so many days between stays? If its a relatively new rule it will have probably come into force because somewhere there has been an incident that challenges the site licence?

David

replied on 14/03/2023 09:55

Posted on 14/03/2023 09:55

brue replied on 14/03/2023 10:12

Posted on 14/03/2023 10:12

I think there were local and national gov agreements during Covid just as there are now for some parts of the leisure industry being requisitioned to house people on a temporary basis. Licence rules have to be changed etc. Both clubs will be the subject of licensing rules and local planning. This probably affects insurance too.

It maybe that commercial sites can operate slightly differently if they operate out of the not for profit area?

DavidKlyne replied on 14/03/2023 11:39

Posted on 14/03/2023 11:39

Although I gather, from dipping spasmodically into various van-lifers YouTube channels, on the whole they tend to eschew Club sites (of either persuasion).

Many seem to prefer the term "Stealth Camping" whatever that means? It seems to mean parking in clear sight, like a Tesco car park, but disguised as a work van! Some seem to be on a quest never to pay for a campsite but some are more pragmatic and will use them if that is the best place to get close to where they want to be. 

David

Oneputt replied on 14/03/2023 12:07

Posted on 14/03/2023 12:07

Obviously covid lockdowns were a problem for many life vanners so what rules existed were suspended to provide safe havens. Perhaps the ‘new’ rules are just to redress the balance

Cornersteady replied on 14/03/2023 12:42

Posted on 14/03/2023 12:42

If they are in the T&C then if one uses a CCC site then you are subject to them and could face consequences if broken? Is that too simple?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook