Portsmouth to Fort William trip

PhilDK replied on 09/09/2023 16:50

Posted on 09/09/2023 16:50

Hello,

I'm looking to take our our caravan up to Fort William area next year.

We live near Portsmouth and the distance to drive is around 550 Miles.

I know that I couldn't realistically do this in one trip.

I feel that I could over two days.

Does anyone have a suggestion on an area or caravan site we could use for the stop over going and returning.

Thank You.

Phil.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2023 17:21

Posted on 09/09/2023 17:21

Don’t forget that journeys take longer once you’re north of the border. Granted it’s a longer distance from Cornwall but we used to make 3 stops on the way to the Highlands.

Without knowing your route, it’s difficult to make suggestions for sites but there are plenty to choose from - CAMC, C&CC, CLs/CSs, commercial etc.

KjellNN replied on 09/09/2023 17:32

Posted on 09/09/2023 17:32

It may well be doable in 2 days, depends on how young you are and how long you can drive each day.    Do you have a partner to share  the driving?

For me, at age 81 it could  be a 3 day drive, OH does not tow.

Things do not take longer as soon as you cross the border, only when you get north of Glasgow, so I would look at how far you can sensibly drive on day one, which will presumably be almost all on Motorways?

We reckon on achieving 50mph, possibly 55 on M ways, towing overall, then you need to add stops en route.  We usually have a minimum of 60 minutes for lunch, and a couple of comfort stops, so another 30 minutes minimum.

KjellNN replied on 09/09/2023 17:39

Posted on 09/09/2023 17:39

Once you pass Glasgow I would reckon you should work with a 40mph speed, depending on your route.   You may wish to avoid the upper part of  road up beside Loch Lomond if you have a larger van....we do.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2023 17:39

Posted on 09/09/2023 17:39

"North of the Border" was used as a descriptive term, Kj, but it is possible to crawl as slowly, or even slower, on the M74 or M9 as it is on the M6. 😄

For Phil's info, the further north you go, the longer your journeys will take.

KjellNN replied on 09/09/2023 17:42

Posted on 09/09/2023 17:42

I cannot say we have ever been reduced to a crawl on the M74 or the M9, but then we do not go out much in the school summer holidays.

Usually it is a relief to pass Preston, the roads are so much quieter the further north you go.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2023 21:17

Posted on 09/09/2023 17:42 by KjellNN

I cannot say we have ever been reduced to a crawl on the M74 or the M9, but then we do not go out much in the school summer holidays.

Usually it is a relief to pass Preston, the roads are so much quieter the further north you go.

Posted on 09/09/2023 21:17

Really? I have and I don’t live anywhere near the area, nor have I visited at school hol times.

Takethedogalong replied on 09/09/2023 21:53

Posted on 09/09/2023 16:50 by PhilDK

Hello,

I'm looking to take our our caravan up to Fort William area next year.

We live near Portsmouth and the distance to drive is around 550 Miles.

I know that I couldn't realistically do this in one trip.

I feel that I could over two days.

Does anyone have a suggestion on an area or caravan site we could use for the stop over going and returning.

Thank You.

Phil.

Posted on 09/09/2023 21:53

Without knowing your route, it’s a bit difficult to suggest stopovers, but if you choose to use the M1, into the A1 just before Wetherby, then just before Scotch Corner there’s a good CL we have used at Catterick. It’s around half a mile to Scotch Corner, so not a huge detour from main route. On the plus side, the owners are/were very good about late evening arrivals, providing you give them a call to discuss. I will add name via an edit. You need to let folks know your route though to get some decent suggestions. 

That is a heck of a tow though, even for two days. 

Edit…. CL is called Deepdale, here is link https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/north-yorkshire/richmond/deepdale/

We have used it a few times when heading up to Scotland. Nice stopover👍

Freddy55 replied on 09/09/2023 22:07

Posted on 09/09/2023 22:07

If it were me, I’d be looking for 2 stopovers with a couple of nights at each. That said, I’m retired, so no need to rush.

Tammygirl replied on 09/09/2023 22:15

Posted on 09/09/2023 22:15

Like Kj we live in Scotland. We do the journey down yo Portsmouth usually twice a year then the same back up. 

I'm always more relaxed as Kj says once past Preston the roads do get less busy. 

We live more east of central so when going to Portsmouth we tend to leave home around 10am travel to Kendal and stop the night. Then down to Birmingham area again for another night and complete the journey on day 3, that is because we have all the time in the world and we are usually catching a night ferry.

We have however arrived in Portsmouth at 1m30pm and travelled up to Birmingham area for the night then completed the journey home from there the next day. 

In answer to the OPs question yes you can do it with just 1 overnight stop if you leave early and don't have any hiccups on the way up. However I would factor in a 2 night stop just incase. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook