Pathetic Club Wi Fi

Twos more then one replied on 14/08/2021 16:20

Posted on 14/08/2021 16:20

Spent £30 for a years access to the clubs Wi Fi, and have been swindled 
Out of 8 sites only one had a slow ,but acceptable level of performance, the other Seven where that bad that most of the time the pages timed out ,some times it took ages to simply log on 
When you bought this up to the site managers , you got the same reply. it was members streaming that was the issue 
If that is the case , then the club should block streaming on sites where the Wi Fi is not up to it 

Cornersteady replied on 14/08/2021 16:47

Posted on 14/08/2021 16:47

I think you have been on CT a long enough time to have read all the threads regarding how poor the wifi provided can be and how it can be hit and miss depending upon the site you're on.

The club does grade sites from gold to bronze (see here) and some silver and the bronze ones are sadly not suitable for streaming. 

DavidKlyne replied on 14/08/2021 16:50

Posted on 14/08/2021 16:50

Just returned from Broadway today. The EE signal was pretty non-existent, at least on the part of the site we were on. To save Margaret's data (02) I tried several times to uses this website via the site WiFi which should be free to use. Managed once or twice to get a connection but it didn't last long. My laptop is only a couple of months old and of a good spec so where exactly is the issue? I noticed in Broadway they had Fibre Cabinets so high speed broadband is not far away. I wonder if the equipment on site is getting so old now that it is not reliable enough? If I have a data connection I don't habitually check what the site WiFi is like so perhaps I was just unlucky at Broadway?

David

JVB66 replied on 14/08/2021 16:59

Posted on 14/08/2021 16:59

I have the annual WiFi and depending how far from civilisation the club site remember it is a village  and also whether some are streaming or as found out using equipment that allows more than one device to be used ?yell and the site is still at the end of a copper wire as not many yet have had fibre run to sites ,

I have had slow but not unusable WiFi on the 6 sites so far 7 including the one I am posting on now but as the other thread the booking system has a real problem this week since the last "essential maintainance"t

Twos more then one replied on 14/08/2021 17:06

Posted on 14/08/2021 16:47 by Cornersteady

I think you have been on CT a long enough time to have read all the threads regarding how poor the wifi provided can be and how it can be hit and miss depending upon the site you're on.

The club does grade sites from gold to bronze (see here) and some silver and the bronze ones are sadly not suitable for streaming. 

Posted on 14/08/2021 17:06

Not everyone has been on this forum for ever ,like on all forum, members will bring up issues that have been discussed previously, that is normal ,and no reason to close, or not have the same discussion , for those that have not discussed it before. No one is forcing you to discus the issue, if you do not want to 

SteveL replied on 14/08/2021 17:17

Posted on 14/08/2021 17:17

I always used to find the WiFi reasonable and bought an annual pass four years running. The last one ran out before the pandemic started, so once things started up again I thought I would check out the free club site access before purchasing, given how full the sites were. In most cases the WiFi was poor to very poor and like David, often would not connect. I put it down to two factors, fuller than normal sites for the times we go away and a different demographic to pre pandemic. However, whatever the reason I have decided not to buy and use my 4G. This with a combination of EE and O2 has almost always worked, Clumber Park so far being the only exception. Strangely the C&CC inclusive WiFi, whilst slow did work on the 3 sites we have used. I’m not sure what that says.

Cornersteady replied on 14/08/2021 17:35

Posted on 14/08/2021 17:06 by Twos more then one

Not everyone has been on this forum for ever ,like on all forum, members will bring up issues that have been discussed previously, that is normal ,and no reason to close, or not have the same discussion , for those that have not discussed it before. No one is forcing you to discus the issue, if you do not want to 

Posted on 14/08/2021 17:35

Yes but you certainly have been on long enough to know the score on wifi, if I recall correctly you have contributed to it before, apologies if not of course.

However that aside my post still stands, the club has clearly said it's wifi on silver and bronze sites may not allow streaming and lists those very sites, so have you been swindled?

And yes I do want tosmile

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2021 19:27

Posted on 14/08/2021 19:27

I can see at least 3 threads on the subject of site Wi-fi on the first page of the Club Products section and I know there are many more.

The appalling performance really shouldn't have come as a surprise to you, TMTO. You could ask Air Angel for a refund I suppose.

Hja replied on 14/08/2021 20:39

Posted on 14/08/2021 16:50 by DavidKlyne

Just returned from Broadway today. The EE signal was pretty non-existent, at least on the part of the site we were on. To save Margaret's data (02) I tried several times to uses this website via the site WiFi which should be free to use. Managed once or twice to get a connection but it didn't last long. My laptop is only a couple of months old and of a good spec so where exactly is the issue? I noticed in Broadway they had Fibre Cabinets so high speed broadband is not far away. I wonder if the equipment on site is getting so old now that it is not reliable enough? If I have a data connection I don't habitually check what the site WiFi is like so perhaps I was just unlucky at Broadway?

David

Posted on 14/08/2021 20:39

Whilst agreeing with most of your post, just a note of caution about location of fibre cabinets.

We live in a suburban area, on a main road.  We have no fibre broadband connection to our local cabinet.  We are however, surrounded by houses that do have this facility.  Our "bit" of the main road, and a few streets behind are connected to the same cabinet.  There are no plans to upgrade it, according to Openreach.

The point I am making is that just because parts of Broadway can get high speed internet, does not  necessarily mean that the site may get it in the foreseeable future.

Twos more then one replied on 14/08/2021 21:55

Posted on 14/08/2021 17:35 by Cornersteady

Yes but you certainly have been on long enough to know the score on wifi, if I recall correctly you have contributed to it before, apologies if not of course.

However that aside my post still stands, the club has clearly said it's wifi on silver and bronze sites may not allow streaming and lists those very sites, so have you been swindled?

And yes I do want tosmile

Posted on 14/08/2021 21:55

Your memory is wrong, neither is your false apology accepted  

Cornersteady replied on 14/08/2021 22:00

Posted on 14/08/2021 21:55 by Twos more then one

Your memory is wrong, neither is your false apology accepted  

Posted on 14/08/2021 22:00

well I did try and apologise if I was incorrect, that is all I can do. Your choice on refusal.

But you seem to be dodging the question that with the sites graded with respect to wifi have you been swindled?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook