New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 24/01/2022 20:06

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:06

The weather is going to provide interesting feedback in terms of payback parameters for deposits. Forecasts some 5 days in advance are usually 90 odd% accurate. This drops to below 50% ten days in advance, so having to make a decision to honour a booking three weeks in advance, or lose the deposit, isn’t going to be very accurate weather wise. High winds and storms are an ever present concern for most folks that either drag a big box, or drive a high sided box, so I for one do wonder what the Club’s stance will be on this. Go and risk an accident, or don’t go and forfeit deposit loss? Clarity required I think.

Hja replied on 24/01/2022 20:10

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:00 by babyrhino

Hi question if you have booked already for this year when you turn up on site will you just be put on grass not out to grass tongue-outas later bookings have had the choice  on the new system to book hard standing 

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:10

I understand that all existing bookings will be put onto HS pitches before the new system goes live.  Then people can opt to change their bookings to grass if they want.

I think this is somewhere in the Q & A on the web site, and it was also discussed up thread (a long way up!!)

Tinwheeler replied on 24/01/2022 20:15

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:00 by babyrhino

Hi question if you have booked already for this year when you turn up on site will you just be put on grass not out to grass tongue-outas later bookings have had the choice  on the new system to book hard standing 

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:15

It’s been explained that all old style bookings will be transferred to the new system before it goes live. As far as possible old bookings will be allocated HS pitches within their choice of awning/non-awning/serviced pitch choices. Therefore, new bookers will only have the choice of what’s left.

Edit: sorry, hja, it’s the time lag.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/01/2022 20:23

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:02 by brue

TDA, I doubt whether the club could fill over 200,000 late cancellations at short notice, I'm sure some get taken but this seems an excessive amount to fill. Even if all sites were open 365 days that would require around 548 per day  bookings maybe more to make up the shortfall.

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:23

I don’t disagree Brue, I don’t think they could fill that many either. But it would make inroads into the potential losses, and that’s why quoting the 25% figures to stand alone is actually flawed. 25% of 25% get cancelled, but how many get rebooked/reused is what I am wondering?

One of the reasons I ask is because the Club has never used the tool of discounting close to date of sell pricing. It’s a policy used by many many holiday providers to entice folks into taking up a late booking, and the policy of getting some money in rather than no money does work. Cottage agencies use it, hotels use it, etc…. So it got me wondering, why doesn’t this Club?🤔 If it’s got that many pitches going begging three days before sell by date, why isn’t it doing anything about it before now, when it’s opted to impose a deposit scheme instead? Or is it simply that the Sites are in fact so busy, and that late take up is so good that they don’t need to🤔 I am of course only wondering, not party to any statistics, but it is intriguing.

nelliethehooker replied on 24/01/2022 20:36

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:36

High winds and storms are an ever present concern for most folks that either drag a big box, or drive a high sided box, so I for one do wonder what the Club’s stance will be on this. Go and risk an accident, or don’t go and forfeit deposit loss? Clarity required I think.

Surely the club will follow what other similar organisations do in that respect, if one does not turn up one loses the deposit. They would have to take each and every reason for not arriving separately otherwise, and just think of the work that that would involve for those at HO!

brue replied on 24/01/2022 20:46

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:46

Not quite sure what you mean about the 25% being cancelled out TDA, I just see it as a quarter of the total quoted. As for discounts CAMC will perhaps be freer to offer some generally in the future if they've secured bookings on a stronger basis?

Takethedogalong replied on 24/01/2022 20:49

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:49

TBH, my thoughts as well Nellie. That’s why such a long period between forfeiting deposit, and date of arrival could be a bit controversial. Again, we look at weather before we book most things, and book late. But I know quite a few don’t.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/01/2022 20:53

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:46 by brue

Not quite sure what you mean about the 25% being cancelled out TDA, I just see it as a quarter of the total quoted. As for discounts CAMC will perhaps be freer to offer some generally in the future if they've secured bookings on a stronger basis?

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:53

I meant 25% of the 25% are cancelled in the last four days Brue, not cancelled out by being refilled🙂

I hope it means a bit more creativity on the discounting side might happen. They are certainly creative around upping the prices for school holiday periods😂 (But that’s another thread😂)

DavidKlyne replied on 24/01/2022 20:57

Posted on 24/01/2022 20:57

This is perhaps a question for JK, I have not sure its been discussed thus far but I may have missed it. So the question is what if you leave a site early? Currently if you leave a site early (not to go to a different site) you forfeit one nights site fees but get a refund for any days in excess of the one you forfeit. What happens in future? Logic would suggest that you no longer get any sort of refund. Is this how it will work under the new scheme?

David

PS I posted this in the other discussion in error, probably better here.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook