New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

Arch replied on 24/01/2022 16:34

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:10 by peedee

Has anyone on this thread knowingly been unable to book a site because of speculative booking,

If you consider all bookingw speculative then the answer is yes. I have had reason to complain on previous threads and last year three of my bookings fell foul to the current system. Attempts at bookings were made at least three months in advance only to find all the dates I wanted were not available. On two occasion they did become available closer to the time but the third only became partially available. On all of the occasions I went elsewhere. The Club lost 10 days bookings from me.

peedee

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:34

So because you couldn't book the dates you wanted did you presume someone must have booked them knowing they would cancel ie speculative booking it was more likely another of the many reasons and just tough luck you couldn't get the dates as happens to me sometimes, it seems to me a very emotional term "subject speculative booking" but no certain evidence has been shown for just how common it is.

Twos more then one replied on 24/01/2022 16:35

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:18 by Cornersteady

But on the other side to that they probably resold them and didn't lose any or much income, they just didn't get yours.

Also if deposits are refundable before 21 days, or even transferable within 21 days I think nothing will change apart from now availability will become available at day 22 rather than 4?

Certainly nothing will change for weekends in my view.

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:35

If they resell some or not ,that is not the point 
Members that have abused the present system have caused the club to change the booking system 

Twos more then one replied on 24/01/2022 16:38

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:34 by Arch

So because you couldn't book the dates you wanted did you presume someone must have booked them knowing they would cancel ie speculative booking it was more likely another of the many reasons and just tough luck you couldn't get the dates as happens to me sometimes, it seems to me a very emotional term "subject speculative booking" but no certain evidence has been shown for just how common it is.

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:38

You miss the point entirely, by the clubs own reckoning, at least approx. 25% of those forward bookings are speculative and will be cancelled 

Tinwheeler replied on 24/01/2022 16:46

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:38 by Twos more then one

You miss the point entirely, by the clubs own reckoning, at least approx. 25% of those forward bookings are speculative and will be cancelled 

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:46

"In a normal year, we often see over 25% of all bookings being cancelled"

Where is the word 'speculative'?🤷🏻‍♂️

SteveL replied on 24/01/2022 16:46

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:38 by Twos more then one

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:46

I think you miss the point entirely. Nobody knows how many of those 25% were legitimate cancellations. ( my definition for that is they fully intended to go but unforeseen circumstances intervened)  I also seriously doubt that the £25 deposit that will be required for a weekend will have any affect on cancellations for weather conditions etc. Given the overall cost inc fuel, those with a mind to cancel will still do so.  

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 16:48

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:46 by SteveL

I think you miss the point entirely. Nobody knows how many of those 25% were legitimate cancellations. ( my definition for that is they fully intended to go but unforeseen circumstances intervened)  I also seriously doubt that the £25 deposit that will be required for a weekend will have any affect on cancellations for weather conditions etc. Given the overall cost inc fuel, those with a mind to cancel will still do so.  

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:48

Yes agree on that. 

Cornersteady replied on 24/01/2022 16:52

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:35 by Twos more then one

If they resell some or not ,that is not the point 
Members that have abused the present system have caused the club to change the booking system 

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:52

Maybe, perhaps, but no firm evidence of that is there? We also have no idea of how many members did?

Or perhaps the club liked the idea of all that up-front money either earning interest somewhere for possibly a year in advance or there for more immediate purchases?

But to my mind arguing about what caused the change is academic speculation at best or just a waste of time at worst. It has happened.

Twos more then one replied on 24/01/2022 16:53

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:46 by Tinwheeler

"In a normal year, we often see over 25% of all bookings being cancelled"

Where is the word 'speculative'?🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:53

As you can imagine, a lot of members all cancelling a few times a year soon adds up! After reviewing the market, speaking to members and looking at other campsite providers the best solution to reduce speculative bookings is to introduce a deposit system. This will reduce the number of speculative bookings and create more availability for members.

There it is twice 

TandemTwo replied on 24/01/2022 16:54

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:54

I'm assuming the 25% cancellations referred to incudes amendments ...? Probably worth repeating how the Club defines cancellations ...

brue replied on 24/01/2022 16:54

Posted on 24/01/2022 16:54

Bearing in mind that the 25% who cancel represent 950,000 cancelled nights it doesn't matter whether they are "legitimate" or not, this is a huge amount to deal with especially when the club states that a quarter of these are within four days of arrival.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook