Nc 500

PMurph replied on 06/08/2021 18:44

Posted on 06/08/2021 18:44

Can anyone tell me the best route and sites  to stay on the nc 500 bit of a itinerary for us I have mobile home  thinking of going in 2 weeks time for 10 days.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/08/2021 19:03

Posted on 06/08/2021 19:03

It's massive and very busy. I suggest you do your research and pick out what appeals to you most as I'm afraid your question is very wide  ranging. You'll likely have difficulty booking sites at this late stage, too.

In my opinion 10 days is not nearly long enough and you'll see little more than the tarmac road ahead, thereby missing most of the sights. I'd suggest postponing until next year when things may be a little quieter and you'll have time to plan ahead, and perhaps go for a longer time.

There's loads of info available on line, including numerous threads on here.

Good luck.👍

dave the rave replied on 06/08/2021 19:09

Posted on 06/08/2021 19:09

What Tinwheeler said! I am fed up to the back teeth of the same old questions being asked about what is,after all, a victim of it,s own success with a real lack of infrastructure.There are just as scenic places to visit so why get involved in the rush?

brue replied on 06/08/2021 19:33

Posted on 06/08/2021 19:33

I wouldn't wait till next year, if things improve Covid wise the area will have the extra influx from EU visitors.

Best to look at the NC500 web site which has all the information and the details for sites and places to visit etc. smile

PMurph replied on 07/08/2021 09:36

Posted on 07/08/2021 09:36

So has anyone got a good route plan good campsite for mobile homes  would really appreciate it thanks travelling from Manchester 

brue replied on 07/08/2021 10:44

Posted on 07/08/2021 09:36 by PMurph

So has anyone got a good route plan good campsite for mobile homes  would really appreciate it thanks travelling from Manchester 

Posted on 07/08/2021 10:44

Depends on the size of your outfit and type. Smaller vehicles can reach some of the more remote camp sites easily. Larger outfits would probably stick to the more accessible sites eg  Kinlochewe, Poolewe, Ullapool, Durness, Dunnet, John o Groats, Dornoch etc. These are on the main circuit. It also depends on what you would like to see.

From Manchester you could head up via the M6 and M74 to the Stirling area onwards via M9 to Inverness and then it's either east or west. The east coast is more rugged with some long haul hilly stretches, the west coast meanders more and has lots of inlets and islands.

It's probably better to stay put for a few days on sites you think might suit you and travel out from them. Moving from site to site quickly will just be exhausting and you'll just be looking at the road. Hope you enjoy it, maybe you'll go back to special places you discover!

With just 10 days, I'd opt for Ullapool, Dunnet and Dornoch. smile

brue replied on 07/08/2021 11:10

Posted on 07/08/2021 11:10

A few years back TW people would probably have said "we're off to Ullapool or John o groats" for a holiday. With the advent of the artificial NC500 it produces a wave of stressful decision making. frown

Tinwheeler replied on 07/08/2021 11:49

Posted on 07/08/2021 11:10 by brue

A few years back TW people would probably have said "we're off to Ullapool or John o groats" for a holiday. With the advent of the artificial NC500 it produces a wave of stressful decision making. frown

Posted on 07/08/2021 11:49

"Stressful"? Gee, Brue, if that's stress one of us clearly doesn't understand the meaning of the word!

As it is, I fear the OP is going to miss out on much that Scotland has to offer as none of us know anything about his preferences so any suggestions could be wide of the mark. I hope yours help.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook