Nc 500

PMurph replied on 06/08/2021 18:44

Posted on 06/08/2021 18:44

Can anyone tell me the best route and sites  to stay on the nc 500 bit of a itinerary for us I have mobile home  thinking of going in 2 weeks time for 10 days.

SteveL replied on 07/08/2021 12:59

Posted on 07/08/2021 12:59

Personally if I only had 10 days I would make Ullapool my northernmost point that’s 430 miles.  There is some availability at CAMC sites for the time you mention, although it isn’t good at many. You could overnight at Strathclyde Country Park before going on for a couple of nights at Morvich. Then onto Kinlochewe or the C&CC site at Poolewe and onwards to one of the private sites in or close to Ullapool, if they’ve any availability. Back via a night at Culloden and Troutbeck. Still a fair bit to do in 10 days but at least you might get a chance to look at the scenery.

brue replied on 07/08/2021 13:57

Posted on 07/08/2021 13:57

Out of interest we once spent 10 days at Dunnet. This gave us time to visit Orkney, Duncansby and Dunnet Heads (sea birds.) The Castle of Mey, John o Groats, Wick museum, Thurso, the edge of Cape Wrath and the little croft museum near Dunnet. 

There are other ways to enjoy the far north rather than on a conveyor belt! But I hope the OP has picked up some useful tips. smile

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/08/2021 14:10

Posted on 06/08/2021 18:44 by PMurph

Can anyone tell me the best route and sites  to stay on the nc 500 bit of a itinerary for us I have mobile home  thinking of going in 2 weeks time for 10 days.

Posted on 07/08/2021 14:10

Check out-Cameron McNeish Outdoors on YouTube he has vids about new Aires for Moho’s only plus Campervan stopovers. Great Outdoorsman is CM👍🏻

Tammygirl replied on 07/08/2021 14:23

Posted on 07/08/2021 14:23

We did the NC 500 earlier this year in May. Not that busy at that time. July and August are the really busy months.

There are plenty of campsites on the route and if in a MH lits of places to park overnight if you are sensible. Some of the campsites don't take advance bookings, 2 that spring to mind are the Ullapool, arrive before 3pm if you want electric. The other one is Sango sands at Durness, again if you want electric ring them first or turn up early in the day. Both are worth a stop over.

I personally wouldn't waste my time stopping in places like Strathclyde or Kinlochewe for more than 1 night in fact there are private sites much better placed and not as expensive. 

With only 10 days it will be a push to stop for any length of time in any of the places but if you start early and do your sight seeing on route, stop for the night later in the day on some of the days, you can do the main route. What you won't be able to do is some of the alternative bits of the 500.

Once you are across the top, if you stop at Dunnet then coming back down the East you can cover a lot more miles in the day as the roads are much better and you will have seen the best bits of the 500. 

Enjoy

SteveL replied on 07/08/2021 14:51

Posted on 07/08/2021 14:51

I personally wouldn't waste my time stopping in places like Strathclyde or Kinlochewe for more than 1 night in fact there are private sites much better placed and not as expensive.

Can’t comment on Strathclyde, as we haven’t used it. Although if we did it would probably be just for a night in transit. Kinlochewe however we liked very much and would visit again. Certainly worth a couple, some lovely walks straight from the site, giving spectacular views. Toilet block, if your using it is a bit small, especially with the covid restrictions, when we were there. Good MH service point though. Kinlochewe is currently £22.90 per night for two adults, which I consider reasonable.

Tammygirl replied on 10/08/2021 18:00

Posted on 07/08/2021 14:51 by SteveL

Can’t comment on Strathclyde, as we haven’t used it. Although if we did it would probably be just for a night in transit. Kinlochewe however we liked very much and would visit again. Certainly worth a couple, some lovely walks straight from the site, giving spectacular views. Toilet block, if your using it is a bit small, especially with the covid restrictions, when we were there. Good MH service point though. Kinlochewe is currently £22.90 per night for two adults, which I consider reasonable.

Posted on 10/08/2021 18:00

We have used both sites in the past Steve.

I was giving my opinion to the OP as he wishes to fit it all in to 10 days.

While I agree with you that Kinlochewe has its benefits, for someone on a tight schedule I think a one nighter there and possibly more nights going further north than Ullapool would be better spent if that is what he wants to do.

Its always difficult giving advice about the NC 500, some folk just want to drive around stopping one night in each place, doing their sightseeing on route.

While others want to tick off ALL the places they have heard of.

To be honest its been said many times on here that to DO Scotland properly you need more than one visit, its bigger and slower than you think.

I have lived in Scotland for 35 years and have only scratched the surface. I like the north west coast from Ullapool up, I also like the Moray coast, a place very few doing the 500 have even heard of. Suits me fine leaves it nice and quiet for the rest of uswink

Rufs replied on 12/08/2021 16:57

Posted on 12/08/2021 16:57

Interesting article in The Press and Journal

"

A motorhome hire company has told customers to stay away from the NC500 amid claims vehicles have been egged and had tyres slashed.

By David Mackay 

"

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook