Let battle commence

young thomas replied on 19/07/2023 11:14

Posted on 19/07/2023 11:14

'Offers' emails from both clubs this morning....

CAMC......Book early and save 10% on Autumn Getaways

C&CC......No more booking in advance (to take advantage of 2023 offers...this looks like a bit of one upmanship over the CAMC 'qualifying' T/C

has the explosion of new campers and the desire to get out there slowed with folk getting back to their normal holidays of packages and cruises?

some (not all) anecdotal evidence on CT suggests (some) sites are running well below capacity...

prepare for more in the inbox...

Hja replied on 19/07/2023 11:22

Posted on 19/07/2023 11:22

On a CL in Cambridgeshire at present. Just us and a caravan. They have been touring around for a couple of weeks, Manchester, E. Yorks, York, Lincs and now here.  Booking the day before, no problems getting pitches, largely CLs. None of them full, not even York. Owners all saying much quieter than usual.

SteveL replied on 19/07/2023 11:45

Posted on 19/07/2023 11:45

It’s getting that you’re going to need a degree in offers to navigate yourself to the best price. Perhaps we need a Trivago.😂

ecocamping replied on 19/07/2023 11:53

Posted on 19/07/2023 11:53

Its getting very confusing, but I think the CCC offers not requiring advance booking are much better than the book early for Autumn.

Our experience has been so much choice and availability on sites this year making choosing where to go harder, we are no longer booking ahead as can't afford loss, if cant travel due to health, caring or high wind.

When on a club site in June we were very surprised at how empty the site was.

Cornersteady replied on 19/07/2023 12:12

Posted on 19/07/2023 12:12

Not sure what battle is being referred to? And how will anyone know who has won in the end?

Surely people will just choose the best option for them? And that includes a mixture of location as well as price and quality? And it's great that there is so much choice, what will fit one person in terms of the above won't fit another so just choose what is best for you.

Well below capacity - not sure what that means or even how it's measured. No one ever said all club sites were running at capacity though a lot are, and certainly the ones I've been on have been.For everyone saying club sites are well below capacity others will post otherwise. Difficult to tell.

And of course as always, extrapolating what is posted on CT to actual real life occupancy is really just total speculation in my view, especially when considering current high memberships levels? A more comprehensive picture will come out at the AGM.

But as said great there is no much choice, surely that is a very good thing for those booking?

DavidKlyne replied on 19/07/2023 12:21

Posted on 19/07/2023 12:21

Perhaps just an accident of history? Had there been no pandemic the new system, I imagine, would have been introduced a year or two earlier and as they say the rest would have been history? Since the last normal year, 2019, many things have been turned on their head. So I suppose we should be judging things against 2019 rather than trying to work out whether more are going overseas or those that took up camping as a means to an end and have now gone back to their usual types of holiday. Its all very well me saying we should judge against 2019 but I don't have the figures. We have only been on half a dozen sites this year, one commercial which I reckon was only half full, one affiliated which was probably 70% full, three CMC sites, one was packed at the weekend the other two had room and now on a C&CC site at Cambridge which seems to fill up every night. Interestingly we last stayed here in 2019 at almost the same time of year and the fees have gone up about 30p a night! £10 cheaper than Cherry Hinton!!! One of the C&CC site staff told me that have had a massive increase in membership recently. Whether that turns out to be the case we will have to wait and see. I think what the CMC might have overlooked is that they had a massive captive membership who only stay on their sites and the new booking system has come as quite a blow. Many of these members are probably of the age when they have medical conditions which are not as predictable as making a regular check up appointment with the dentist. So the new booking system introduces an element of stress. Any amount of discounts and lower deposits are not going to make it easier for that element of Club membership.

David

brue replied on 19/07/2023 13:05

Posted on 19/07/2023 11:45 by SteveL

It’s getting that you’re going to need a degree in offers to navigate yourself to the best price. Perhaps we need a Trivago.😂

Posted on 19/07/2023 13:05

Yes, that's true but if things change too much people give up and look for easier and mote reliable options. 

Customers are king, especially ones who pay a membership fee. Disaffected and disappointed customers will mean no business. 

young thomas replied on 19/07/2023 13:32

Posted on 19/07/2023 13:32

"and now on a C&CC site at Cambridge which seems to fill up every night. Interestingly we last stayed here in 2019 at almost the same time of year and the fees have gone up about 30p a night! £10 cheaper than Cherry Hinton!!!"

Anyone who's visited both sites will surely head to where you are.....??

replied on 19/07/2023 13:32

Posted on 19/07/2023 13:32

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 19/07/2023 13:37

Posted on 19/07/2023 13:37

The main school hols start this week in the south, we are expecting to hear the mass exodus from London as they hit the A303 to the SW. I think this will see the main test for holiday choices from now until early September. smile

young thomas replied on 19/07/2023 13:38

Posted on 19/07/2023 13:05 by brue

Yes, that's true but if things change too much people give up and look for easier and mote reliable options. 

Customers are king, especially ones who pay a membership fee. Disaffected and disappointed customers will mean no business. 

Posted on 19/07/2023 13:38

Brue, nail on head...I guess most folk thought the introduction of Dynamic Pricing would see a genuine contrast in prices asked at 'way ahead of booking', 'a few weeks away' and (genuine) 'last minute'.

price panels for CAMC do not show any significant variance with prices falling in the days before a potential visit....a few pence here and there (wit( no seeming logic) won't be the sort of magnet some thought it might be.

what did we, the customers, get?.....an inbox full of emails with offer after offer, changing in deposit levels (after hiking them recently) and myriad discounts with strings attached, still aimed away from last minute booking.

confused.com?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook