Flapping & Flashing

mickysf replied on 17/05/2017 07:44

Posted on 17/05/2017 07:44

On a recent outing we found ourselves pitched near others with large flags on tall flexible poles planted in the ground. Although the flapping was not particularly loud the movement was constantly in our vision and when sitting out the flag's shadow from the van next to us constantly waved across our hardstanding. To cap it all at night we were treated to a light show with flashes and colour changes up and down these poles. Now I don't mind such things at rallies or shows but on sites where we go to enjoy the peace and quiet and escape the hassles of modern living I feel these are intrusive and dominate the skyline of the entire site. Do others feel the same?

PhilHeller replied on 17/05/2017 07:52

Posted on 17/05/2017 07:52

Probably be accused of being moaning old gifts, but Yes!! Always make me think I have wandered onto a scout camp field by mistakeπŸ˜‚

SteveL replied on 17/05/2017 07:55

Posted on 17/05/2017 07:55

Personally as long, as they are well secured, I don't have a problem with it. Adds a bit of colour and I rather like the lights. At this time of year I would not have though the lights an issue as it gets dark so late and when the nights draw in, we are in the van with the blinds up, so would not see them anyway.

replied on 17/05/2017 07:56

Posted on 17/05/2017 07:56

Another that dislikes 

Merve replied on 17/05/2017 08:00

Posted on 17/05/2017 08:00

I agree Micky! Phil has it bang on- moaning old gits have a right to peace and quiet  too! I hate the bloody things!  Did you ask them to take it down and explain why? Shame you couldn't have lit a smokey BBQ with the wind in their direction and then wait for the response!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

N1805 replied on 17/05/2017 08:13

Posted on 17/05/2017 08:13

During poor weather conditions flagpoles are of concern to me as they, IMHO, could possibly cause problems to other campers & or their units/vehicles etc.  Having said that I did see that a flagpole was taken down & put back up next morning when bad weather occurred overnight on a club site we stayed at.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 17/05/2017 08:14

Posted on 17/05/2017 08:14

I can't imagine being asked to take it down being met with a favourable response. One wanting it up, one wanting it down-you have an impasse. It's the old argument of some like them & some don't. I'm a liker. I personally get my solace off site, I've not expected a site of potentially hundreds of folk going about their break to allow much of a level of 'peace & quiet'laughing

mickysf replied on 17/05/2017 09:06

Posted on 17/05/2017 08:00 by Merve

I agree Micky! Phil has it bang on- moaning old gits have a right to peace and quiet  too! I hate the bloody things!  Did you ask them to take it down and explain why? Shame you couldn't have lit a smokey BBQ with the wind in their direction and then wait for the response!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Posted on 17/05/2017 09:06

No I didn't mention it Merve, you see although I'm not keen on these things on 'ordinary' sites I've always considered myself to be pretty tolerant of others. I must say though that as the years roll on I may just be metamorphosing into a grumpy old git!  wink

ValDa replied on 17/05/2017 09:12

Posted on 17/05/2017 09:12

We moved sites because of this.  It wasn't on a CMC site, but in France, Two pairs of Leicester City football club loving caravanners, turned up each with a flagpole, foot ball flags and bunting, each pole with flashing lights in football colours, and each with a TV which they watched outside.  Not only that but they shouted over our (hedged) pitch to each other when they weren't watching TV. The next morning after our polite requests fell on deaf ears, we and the Dutch couple to the other side of one outside had both packed up and moved off by 9.00 am.!  It's the only time we've ever seen this in France.

We would consider ourselves pretty tolerant, but perhaps, like others, our tolerance levels reduce as we get older (and grumpier????). 

DavidKlyne replied on 17/05/2017 10:11

Posted on 17/05/2017 10:11

Personally don't like them and also don't see the point. What is someone trying to prove by having such enormous flags things adorn their pitches? Is it a sign of virility or just general a sign of dumbing down? Perhaps someone who displays such things could explain and why they should erect such things without consulting their neighbours.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook