Disabled Members

tristar replied on 05/08/2021 10:21

Posted on 05/08/2021 10:21

I am wondering if its best to phone the site direct and talk to the wardens prior to arrival to request a pitch reasonably close to the toilet facilities as my wife needs sticks for walking.

This is what we usually do but it does take up the time of the wardens and I feel as if I'm creating extra work for them.

Is there a better process for requesting a pitch by phoning the club direct or do as I usually do and phone the site,

Thanks

Raymond

brue replied on 05/08/2021 11:06

Posted on 05/08/2021 11:06

I think this comes under the term "special requests" when booking and it's probably better to continue what you have been doing. 

It says in the booking section blurb to try and give 14 days notice when doing so but I don't know if you've found this yourself?

smile

KjellNN replied on 05/08/2021 11:22

Posted on 05/08/2021 11:22

Best to phone the site direct.

In the past, we found it better not to ring more than a  couple of days ahead as if too far ahead the request could get forgotten, but this seems to have changed recently.  

As we were using mainly serviced pitches, either CAMC, CCC, or CLs, we only had to contact one site on our recent tour, and were told they would do their best, but that giving more notice would have been better.

Not sure why, as it is our experience that a warden will select the most suitable pitch that is available on the day of your arrival, and place a cone or marker on it to reserve it for you.

I had not seen anything in the "booking section blurb".......but then I did not think to read it, having been booking sites for over 20 years!

Brue, have you a link for the special requests thing?

DavidKlyne replied on 05/08/2021 11:45

Posted on 05/08/2021 11:45

Kj

I am not sure there is a link but part of the booking process for each site. 

At the moment I think I would take a belt and braces approach as its not so easy to get through to site receptions during COVID, although hopefully it is now getting back to normal. So probable best to mention it on the booking and then try and phone a few days ahead? Perhaps JK will come along and advise the best approach.

David

JVB66 replied on 05/08/2021 12:07

Posted on 05/08/2021 12:07

Since my OH has become more reliant on needing to be close tothe facilities  one thing we have been advised by site staff is to please ring the site concerned, if beedi g a pitch nearer the facilties ,in all staff wee have had dealings with advise that most sites do not have dedicated disabled pitches ,so to ensure we can get you as near as possible, on the booking pages special requests,  may not note them until the day of arrival when we may have been able to save a pitch before

brue replied on 05/08/2021 12:14

Posted on 05/08/2021 12:14

Even the ones that do have designated pitches would no doubt welcome a request well in advance, it must be quite difficult keeping an eye on usage and getting the timings right. Some probably have to be coned off more than a day early to prevent use.

KjellNN replied on 05/08/2021 12:59

Posted on 05/08/2021 11:45 by DavidKlyne

Kj

I am not sure there is a link but part of the booking process for each site. 

At the moment I think I would take a belt and braces approach as its not so easy to get through to site receptions during COVID, although hopefully it is now getting back to normal. So probable best to mention it on the booking and then try and phone a few days ahead? Perhaps JK will come along and advise the best approach.

David

Posted on 05/08/2021 12:59

As far as I can see, in on line booking, when you  come down to the special requirements bit, it just says to ring the site.  Did a trial booking for Edinburgh and also clicked on the "access statement" link, which told me "page not found"!

Following brue's link, I read what it said about 14 days, but going  back one step and trying to see how you get to the page brue linked to, I was totally stumped.  And it is not a page I have ever seen before.

We first joined back in 1998, and when on line booking was introduced you got a special requests box where we could request a pitch close to the disabled facilities, but, for reasons I never could understand, that was removed after a couple of years.  So now you have to ring every site you are booked on, which does not seem like progress to me!

brue replied on 05/08/2021 13:05

Posted on 05/08/2021 13:05

Just click on the last right hand visible info "how to book a site" which is at the top of my link. smile (You have to work backwards. HOME is the final bit on the left, you are just retracing the search steps via this method.) My page link is "important booking information." 

tristar replied on 05/08/2021 13:07

Posted on 05/08/2021 13:07

Thanks everybody for your responses.  It does say in the special requests as was also pointed out by the other posters that its best to contact the site wardens. I didn't realise it was 14 days notice was required. Been a member for a long time so I've never really studied the important booking conditions thinking I knew it all.

I'll continue to phone ahead as usual as I've always done.

Thanks again to all.

replied on 05/08/2021 13:11

Posted on 05/08/2021 11:22 by KjellNN

Best to phone the site direct.

In the past, we found it better not to ring more than a  couple of days ahead as if too far ahead the request could get forgotten, but this seems to have changed recently.  

As we were using mainly serviced pitches, either CAMC, CCC, or CLs, we only had to contact one site on our recent tour, and were told they would do their best, but that giving more notice would have been better.

Not sure why, as it is our experience that a warden will select the most suitable pitch that is available on the day of your arrival, and place a cone or marker on it to reserve it for you.

I had not seen anything in the "booking section blurb".......but then I did not think to read it, having been booking sites for over 20 years!

Brue, have you a link for the special requests thing?

Posted on 05/08/2021 13:11

In 2019 I was using a stick and found best to phone at least 3 days ahead. On Trewethett The warden put a cone over our peg a few days before our departure.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook