Curtailment of holiday / refund

alan1406 replied on 01/06/2023 09:08

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:08

My 94 year old mother is in failing health and in a care home. Both me and my brother are in the situation of taking holidays not really knowing what is going to happen with Mum.  We have numerous breaks booked over the next few months and I was thinking what would happen if we had to come home early from a break and we’d paid for the whole break at the outset. Would we get a refund under the sad circumstances?  Appreciate the cancellation / amendment policy is geared towards the start of the holiday but leaving early because of an emergency is a different scenario.  

Im sure many caravanners with aging parents are in the same boat as us. I’m just thankful Mum is now in care so we can actually get away on holidays. 

thanks in advance for any comments / recommendations 

peedee replied on 01/06/2023 09:25

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:25

Depends on your insurance but any good provider should make a refund. I had to return once in an emergency from a trip to Spain but I had no sites booked but I did have to pay rather a lot in excess to the ferry company for a ticket, which I sucessfully claimed off the insurance. Think it was RP at the time. 

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 01/06/2023 09:31

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:31

I thought Alan was referring to CAMC terms for leaving club sites early🤷🏻‍♂️. 

I can’t see anything in FAQ about leaving early.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/06/2023 09:34

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:34

I suspect there is not a simple answer to that? Some have indicated that in similar situations the Club have been sympathetic and given refunds but all circumstances are personal and different.Perhaps best not to worry about it and deal with it if and when it happens? On the issue of leaving a site early having paid in full the information you need should be covered here https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/booking-terms-and-conditions/

David

alan1406 replied on 01/06/2023 09:57

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:31 by Tinwheeler

I thought Alan was referring to CAMC terms for leaving club sites early🤷🏻‍♂️. 

I can’t see anything in FAQ about leaving early.

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:57

Correct, yes.  Uk CAMC booked sites. No travel insurance necessary

alan1406 replied on 01/06/2023 10:02

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:34 by DavidKlyne

I suspect there is not a simple answer to that? Some have indicated that in similar situations the Club have been sympathetic and given refunds but all circumstances are personal and different.Perhaps best not to worry about it and deal with it if and when it happens? On the issue of leaving a site early having paid in full the information you need should be covered here https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/booking-terms-and-conditions/

David

Posted on 01/06/2023 10:02

Thanks for this - the conditions on early departure do seem to be the same as before the new deposit scheme. 

peedee replied on 01/06/2023 10:26

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:57 by alan1406

Correct, yes.  Uk CAMC booked sites. No travel insurance necessary

Posted on 01/06/2023 10:26

Thanks for clarifying, both scenarios have been covered then. If there was a lot of money involved, even with a UK holiday and the loss would hurt, I would be inclined to take out insurance rather than rely on the generousity of the provider.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 01/06/2023 14:28

Posted on 01/06/2023 09:08 by alan1406

My 94 year old mother is in failing health and in a care home. Both me and my brother are in the situation of taking holidays not really knowing what is going to happen with Mum.  We have numerous breaks booked over the next few months and I was thinking what would happen if we had to come home early from a break and we’d paid for the whole break at the outset. Would we get a refund under the sad circumstances?  Appreciate the cancellation / amendment policy is geared towards the start of the holiday but leaving early because of an emergency is a different scenario.  

Im sure many caravanners with aging parents are in the same boat as us. I’m just thankful Mum is now in care so we can actually get away on holidays. 

thanks in advance for any comments / recommendations 

Posted on 01/06/2023 14:28

Alan,  Been there, done it. You may lose money but the main thing is to look after your mother.

We were near the Med when we got word that mother (92) was in hospital so we abandoned car and caravan and flew back to UK. Our insurance paid for the emergency flight home but then we ourselves had to pay to go back and collect the outfit.

You might one day have to hot foot it home in the UK if your mother is ill. And if you lose money shrug it off.. But best wishes to her.

Whittakerr replied on 01/06/2023 15:02

Posted on 01/06/2023 14:28 by eurortraveller

Alan,  Been there, done it. You may lose money but the main thing is to look after your mother.

We were near the Med when we got word that mother (92) was in hospital so we abandoned car and caravan and flew back to UK. Our insurance paid for the emergency flight home but then we ourselves had to pay to go back and collect the outfit.

You might one day have to hot foot it home in the UK if your mother is ill. And if you lose money shrug it off.. But best wishes to her.

Posted on 01/06/2023 15:02

I agree. In an emergency like this the last thing on my mind would be worrying about the cost of a lost holiday.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/06/2023 15:58

Posted on 01/06/2023 10:02 by alan1406

Thanks for this - the conditions on early departure do seem to be the same as before the new deposit scheme. 

Posted on 01/06/2023 15:58

I think you need to read the early departures section of the new booking terms and conditions carefully. Gone are the days when you just lost a nights fees, now the Club is looking to capture a portion of your deposit for any days you don’t stay, and maybe the whole outstanding fees if you have to leave at short notice. Obtaining a refund under even emergency circumstances isn’t guaranteed, that’s why the Club strongly advises taking out holiday insurance. Given the cost of a long stay on a Club Site, it still might be an idea to consider taking out insurance, or at least investigate the costs.

I am in the same situation, caring for my 94 year old Mum with my sister. We take each day as it comes. Any breaks we don’t book but go when things look stable. Club Sites aren’t a consideration, too restrictive. 

Amesford replied on 01/06/2023 16:09

Posted on 01/06/2023 16:09

Pre new booking system I went to reception to inform them we would leaving a day early due the to wife felling ill the assistant warden suggested we may get a refund ?? but on checking with the head warden stated you only get a refund if you have say 4 nights left for which you get only one nights refund so you will always lose 3 nights site fees, not sure if that has now changed 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook