Coverack CL a big thankyou

jlseagull replied on 23/03/2020 15:24

Posted on 23/03/2020 15:24

The bad news - our extended stay at Coverack CL had to be cancelled.

The good news our £200 deposit was returned the following day.   Now that is what I call service.  Thank you Nicola.

willbee replied on 25/03/2020 15:28

Posted on 25/03/2020 15:28

Very reasonable of them.

I contacted to sadly cancel all the CL's I had forward bookings with the day before the Club made it's move to shut everything down. I had 4 cl's that had taken deposits (willingly sent to secure an early booking), not asking for the deposit back, but to see if they would move the booking forward by 12 months. Three were more than willing, one, Riverside CL277, Penrith, refused the request. No explanation why, and a pretty curt email to boot. £40 in his pocket. So will I book with them again?  Fat chance!!

JoJo9 replied on 26/03/2020 18:34

Posted on 26/03/2020 18:34

Absolutely disgraceful. Usually  I have no problem when a CL keeps a deposit if, for whatever reason, someone has to cancel. But to refuse your request to transfer the booking is just wrong. When we hear of all the good things that people are doing for others in these very difficult times the owner of that site should be ashamed. I hope lots of people read this and decide not to visit when everything returns to normal.

greylag replied on 28/03/2020 11:42

Posted on 28/03/2020 11:42

I have had to cancel in the past and happily forgone the deposit.

In the present situation and having the network shutdown by the club, surely deposits should be returned.

Two of my deposits were returned (and I will stay with them in the future), but Heath Cottage CL in Tenby refused, saying that he would hold until I finally turned up.  When I explained that at my age 73, my future health may stop me from travelling long distances, he insisted that he was not refusing to return the money, just holding it for the future.

He was really stroppy and i gave up.

InaD replied on 28/03/2020 17:36

Posted on 28/03/2020 17:36

Riverside CL277, Penrith, refused the request. No explanation why, and a pretty curt email to boot. £40 in his pocket. So will I book with them again?

Interestingly on their website there is a whole page devoted to the fact that "Despite the recommendations from the C. & M. club, Riverside intends to stay open".  Also "If you need to be 100% safe & sure just don't use the site communal facilities, (shower & toilet) use your own".  Implying that the facilities are still open.

I was under the impression that all CLs were supposed to be closed, or is that optional?

Tinwheeler replied on 28/03/2020 17:42

Posted on 28/03/2020 17:36 by InaD

Riverside CL277, Penrith, refused the request. No explanation why, and a pretty curt email to boot. £40 in his pocket. So will I book with them again?

Interestingly on their website there is a whole page devoted to the fact that "Despite the recommendations from the C. & M. club, Riverside intends to stay open".  Also "If you need to be 100% safe & sure just don't use the site communal facilities, (shower & toilet) use your own".  Implying that the facilities are still open.

I was under the impression that all CLs were supposed to be closed, or is that optional?

Posted on 28/03/2020 17:42

I wouldn't think it’s optional, Ina. The club has issued the site owner with an exemption certificate. If the club subsequently tells the site to close that, in my opinion, withdraws the certification which surely leaves the site operating without planning permission and, thus, outside of the law. 

I may be wrong but that's my logic on the issue.

PS. We are not allowed to travel to use caravan sites and the Govt has told sites to close. I think he's on shaky ground.

Oneputt replied on 28/03/2020 17:53

Posted on 28/03/2020 17:53

I received my deposit back for my Easter break.  I did ask the owner what the score would be if the virus got worse but didn’t at that time cancel.  As it happened the club closed sites and the owners wrote to us, we elected, for a number of reasons, to have a refund

InaD replied on 28/03/2020 18:14

Posted on 28/03/2020 17:42 by Tinwheeler

I wouldn't think it’s optional, Ina. The club has issued the site owner with an exemption certificate. If the club subsequently tells the site to close that, in my opinion, withdraws the certification which surely leaves the site operating without planning permission and, thus, outside of the law. 

I may be wrong but that's my logic on the issue.

PS. We are not allowed to travel to use caravan sites and the Govt has told sites to close. I think he's on shaky ground.

Posted on 28/03/2020 18:14

No, I didn't think it was optional either TW.  But reading "Despite recommendations from the CAMC" etc implies it isn't compulsory.  Although of course that wording by the CL owner, who wants to stay open, is deliberately chosen I suspect, for exactly that reason.

I know that we aren't allowed to travel to use caravan sites, and I actually doubt he'll get much, if any, business.  Although saying that, in view of some of the irresponsible behaviour that has been going on, it wouldn't surprise me.

Have you read the website in question?  Interestingly, since I first posted a couple of the quotes from it, it has now changed and reads that it will re-open later in 2020, coincidence or what? Link HERE

Tinwheeler replied on 28/03/2020 18:56

Posted on 28/03/2020 18:14 by InaD

No, I didn't think it was optional either TW.  But reading "Despite recommendations from the CAMC" etc implies it isn't compulsory.  Although of course that wording by the CL owner, who wants to stay open, is deliberately chosen I suspect, for exactly that reason.

I know that we aren't allowed to travel to use caravan sites, and I actually doubt he'll get much, if any, business.  Although saying that, in view of some of the irresponsible behaviour that has been going on, it wouldn't surprise me.

Have you read the website in question?  Interestingly, since I first posted a couple of the quotes from it, it has now changed and reads that it will re-open later in 2020, coincidence or what? Link HERE

Posted on 28/03/2020 18:56

Well I never! Fancy that.😀

Somewhat contradictorily the website also says -

"Your Caravan or Motor home is your own self contained space which provides complete isolation from other individuals during these unprecedented times. If you need to be 100% safe & sure just don't use the site communal facilities, (shower & toilet) use your own. Caravan & Motor home time away in the remote countryside is surely a great deal safer than being in an urban environment, and a superb way to relax.
"Stay Healthy at Riverside"

I've alerted Rowena in case the club need to know about this.

davetommo replied on 28/03/2020 20:12

Posted on 28/03/2020 20:12

I don’t think Cumbria police will be happy if they catch you towing  caravan. Also I am sure that under government restrictions caravan sites have to close.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): caravan sites and holiday parks

What needs to be done
Campsites, holiday parks, caravan sites and motorhome hire businesses should:

shut with immediate effect to all new holidaymakers, tourers and other visitors
ask existing visitors on site or those hiring vehicles for non-essential travel to return home as soon as possible, provided it is safe and practical to do so
make sure this advice is clearly communicated and adhered to

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook