Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

GEandGJE replied on 25/07/2024 16:03

Posted on 25/07/2024 15:40 by mickysf

Run by the members for the members, I’m sure I’ve heard said. 

Posted on 25/07/2024 16:03

It is and it does. But the club also has to comply with legal and regulatory requirements as it registered as a company on Companies House.

LLM replied on 25/07/2024 16:21

Posted on 25/07/2024 16:03 by GEandGJE

It is and it does. But the club also has to comply with legal and regulatory requirements as it registered as a company on Companies House.

Posted on 25/07/2024 16:21

None of those legal and regulatory requirements prevent or discourage it from sharing its business information with its members.  

DavidKlyne replied on 25/07/2024 16:28

Posted on 25/07/2024 16:28

It is clearly not practical for members to have a say in every decision made by the Club. The structure should be robust enough for the right decisions to be made and to stand up to scrutiny. However communication from the management seems to be based on providing  the minimal amount of information. As ET says we should have more information. Closing sites, whether justified or not, is always going to be controversial. The Club could of approached the way they announced this  differently. It may have meant that this thread had 20 relies rather than 200! All they needed to do was the say something like the following. "We have monitored these sites over a number of years. Unfortunately year on year results of decreasing occupancy. We did investigate ways we might encourage more to stay but that has not worked. Unfortunately the option to improve and upgrade the sites was not available to us as they are all held on lease and the lease holders have indicated an unwillingness to extend the lease for a meaningful period so that we could spread the cost over a number of years in order to get a return on investment. So it was with real sadness the Club have decided there is no option but to close the sites listed." You can add or subtract what may or may not apply. It would hardly be commercially sensitive to publish such information. 

David

GEandGJE replied on 25/07/2024 16:38

Posted on 25/07/2024 16:21 by LLM

None of those legal and regulatory requirements prevent or discourage it from sharing its business information with its members.  

Posted on 25/07/2024 16:38

The issue that would raise if the club did publish that type of information to it's membership is if a member didn't agree with a decision it would  be posted on CT and other social media sites within minutes and therefore putting that information into the public domain. The Club could issue minutes etc but they would need to be heavily redacted and not worth reading.

Just my thoughts but I can't think of a club or a scheme that I'm a member of that publishes minutes of meetings etc apart from those required for legal and regulatory purposes.

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2024 18:26

Posted on 25/07/2024 15:15 by peedee

At least a bit more information than just "unsustainable" Are the sites leased or owned, were any alternatives considered?. Anything more would help understanding a little better. As it stands it is all down to under use, but one poster has pointed out there are 45 seasonal pitches in use on Nunnykirk!

As for sweetening the pill by pointing out what has been done in other areas, did we really need Dornafield when the Club already has four sites in the area?

peedee

Posted on 25/07/2024 18:26

Surly Rowena's post spells it out quite clearly. And unsustainable is pretty clear too.

I asked you before PD and you may have answered and I missed it, did you use any of these sites recently?

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2024 18:52

Posted on 25/07/2024 15:18 by peedee

But it is supposed to be a Club not a business!

peedee

Posted on 25/07/2024 18:52

And a club one has to pay a fairly substantial fee and then pay again if one wants to use club sites. So if it's run not to your liking why pay on membership, ok that might be for none site use, but then why pay to use club sites? Or if like you have found sites much cheaper (with bar and entertainment)what does it matter to you?

People paying in the largest indicator of elected members doing their job right in my view.

I don't care if it's a club or business as a long as it provides what I want 

SP here again full by the way with MHs too. I counted three empty pitches on driving round to the SP area, so the people who made the decisions for this site really got it correct.

peedee replied on 25/07/2024 19:43

Posted on 25/07/2024 19:43

So if it's run not to your liking why pay on membership,

That is something you come up with time and time again and it is something I increasingly think about. I am in my 36th year of continuous membership and wondering if there is any point in seeing it out for my final years of touring, after all, unlike the C&CC, there is no incentive to remain a continuous member. I could give up membership this year and only rejoin if I need to. I would miss the CLs though.

peedee

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2024 19:57

Posted on 25/07/2024 19:43 by peedee

So if it's run not to your liking why pay on membership,

That is something you come up with time and time again and it is something I increasingly think about. I am in my 36th year of continuous membership and wondering if there is any point in seeing it out for my final years of touring, after all, unlike the C&CC, there is no incentive to remain a continuous member. I could give up membership this year and only rejoin if I need to. I would miss the CLs though.

peedee

Posted on 25/07/2024 19:57

Nor sure what my repeating it has to do with anything. I have stated that I really cannot understand how anyone remains in the club, any club, that does not give them what they want or like. 

Yes there are other valid advantages besides club sites but if there are so many things not to one's liking then why remain.

I'm often seen as a loyal club user and supporter but I have also stated that once the club doesn't offer me what I require then I'm out. Now of course I've been saying that for years and the club continues in the way I like it.

I'm glad I've helped you with your thoughts but it appears you're more loyal than I am, and that's a compliment by the way.

peedee replied on 25/07/2024 20:12

Posted on 25/07/2024 20:12

I have stated that I really cannot understand how anyone remains in the club, any club, that does not give them what they want or like.

You cannot change anything from the outside, better to be on the inside and voice your views which if your passionate enough about, take them to a higher authority. The Club does provide the conduits.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook