Air angel

OnlyJen replied on 11/08/2018 21:35

Posted on 11/08/2018 21:35

I'm sure most of you remember my defence of WiFi on CAMC sites.

Really people sort your own problems and needs out.

well, smug cow, having returned to the club fold, what a pathetic lot of old rubbish it is.

The world has moved forward.  We all now expect a service. Air Angel is just a sick, bad, joke.

DavidKlyne replied on 11/08/2018 23:32

Posted on 11/08/2018 23:32

It does vary from site to site and sometimes it depends on the time of day. I am however using my smart phone and 4G more and more so in time maybe none of us will need site WiFi. 

David

SteveL replied on 12/08/2018 08:17

Posted on 12/08/2018 08:17

As. David says, it does vary from site to site. We have recently utilised it on four sites, two for extended periods, and it performed well on all but a few occasions. Some of the sites were nowhere near capacity and that obviously helps. However, one was full at the weekend and the WiFi was still adequate.

It does depend on what you are trying to use it for though, as it is really only intended for emails and general browsing. Also on what the speed provision to the site is. I think you mentioned Cirencester, where it is only bronze. I have always found it struggles there when the site is full.

The WiFi speeds on sites are being improved where possible. There are lots more gold sites than there were. A full list of site wifi speeds is HERE.

replied on 12/08/2018 08:22

Posted on 12/08/2018 08:22

I was happy to use the CC Wif for several years with our 12'' Acer laptop. Had very little trouble on round 16 CC sites a year of the 22 sites we stay on each year. 

for last 18 months both OH and I are using Galaxy Tab A tablets. These have worked well on most sites. We stay on sites generally for 5 nights and move. However over Christmas we spend 15 nights at Southport CC and last Christmas it was atrocious and we mainly use our mifi. 

As this year Only 10 of the sites are CC we have upgraded our mifi to 4G and given our 3G mifi to a friend who was having problems getting on line whilst in a nursing home. We have a 24gb 4G WW data sim which cost £50. 

On our last trip we spent 30 nights on non CC sites without free wifi provided. Data used about £17 and so for typical 90 nights on CC sites it would have cost the same as both of us purchasing CC wifi. The difference is that I follow some you tube vlogs and I have avoided doing so using data and also I have resolution on low for those that I do watch on the 12'' tablet anyway. 

Typically the 30 nights away on non CC sites without wifi would have cost us £60 anyway. (Most sites we find are £5 for 3 nights and £10 a week. Our 5 nights wifi therefore costs £10). 

Thornsett replied on 12/08/2018 08:33

Posted on 12/08/2018 08:33

My experience of the CMC wifi is much more positive based on the 6 sites we've stayed on so far. Much better value* than EE and the signal has been just as strong.

* PAYG and we don't download much; more usage would work out cheaper per GB.

SteveL replied on 12/08/2018 08:59

Posted on 12/08/2018 08:59

Whilst I think site Wifi  good value, fast it is not. Of course 3/4G is all dependent on having a signal. However, if I have one my EE phone normally gets a download of between 8 and 20 MB and upload of 5 / 10 MB.

The best I have achieved on club WiFi is 1MB down and 0.5MB up. As I said in my earlier post, adequate for emails, browsing and of course CT.😀

replied on 12/08/2018 09:17

Posted on 12/08/2018 09:17

I have generally happy with CC wifi Steve, as above. No idea why it was so poor at Southport for 15 days prior to and over Christmas. Same location on site as last year when it was fine. 

Not tried C&CC wifi but I noticed that their offering is capped. My CC subscription ran out at start of our last holiday and I did not renew as out of 41 nights remaining that holiday only 5 nights were on CC sites. Fliss still has a subscription though.

By the way my sim is EE - not WW I have fat finger syndrome it would seem! (We have a 24gb 4G WW data sim which cost £50. )

JVB66 replied on 12/08/2018 09:38

Posted on 12/08/2018 09:38

We have been "on a tour" since 2nd July  on cc sites and have noticed on club sites that the wifi (when available)is normally fine for what it is designed to be used for, but at w/ends and now school holidays ,it can be very slow,at times, today at the moment it is fine at Tewksbury but yesterday at times was not good, the site staff here a and at our last stop Cirencester have both said they have had "complaints?" From some saying that  The system is "rubbish" as their children cannot get their on line games to worksurprisedyell

DavidKlyne replied on 12/08/2018 10:28

Posted on 12/08/2018 08:17 by SteveL

As. David says, it does vary from site to site. We have recently utilised it on four sites, two for extended periods, and it performed well on all but a few occasions. Some of the sites were nowhere near capacity and that obviously helps. However, one was full at the weekend and the WiFi was still adequate.

It does depend on what you are trying to use it for though, as it is really only intended for emails and general browsing. Also on what the speed provision to the site is. I think you mentioned Cirencester, where it is only bronze. I have always found it struggles there when the site is full.

The WiFi speeds on sites are being improved where possible. There are lots more gold sites than there were. A full list of site wifi speeds is HERE.

Posted on 12/08/2018 10:28

Steve

Interesting link. I had not realised that the Club actually quoted speeds depending on what band of WiFi a site has. Having said that I assume that must be the speed for the entire site not individual connections as when I have done speed tests on site I have rarely got above 1 mbps which is fine if it's a consistent connection. I suspect that we won't see significant improvements in site WiFi until they have direct fibre connections, not the ones that are dependent on a BT WiFi cabinet?

David 

JVB66 replied on 12/08/2018 10:35

Posted on 12/08/2018 10:28 by DavidKlyne

Steve

Interesting link. I had not realised that the Club actually quoted speeds depending on what band of WiFi a site has. Having said that I assume that must be the speed for the entire site not individual connections as when I have done speed tests on site I have rarely got above 1 mbps which is fine if it's a consistent connection. I suspect that we won't see significant improvements in site WiFi until they have direct fibre connections, not the ones that are dependent on a BT WiFi cabinet?

David 

Posted on 12/08/2018 10:35

At home we are on BT "infinity"and at certain times of the day it it slows down to well below what they advertise,as most of the area only has,  like the majority of the UK,  fib're to the nearest cabinet not to individual houses, 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook