Ferry Crossing Advice

Keith1408 replied on 20/02/2024 17:51

Posted on 20/02/2024 17:51

Good evening, my wife and I purchased our first caravan last year and have been enjoying touring with it in the UK over the last twelve months. This summer will be our first venture to the continent and we're looking for advice on things we need to do with our outfit whilst it is parked up on the ferry. It's an overnight crossing so I'm assuming it's probably a good idea to disconnect the electrical cable to the car to avoid any unnecessary battery drainage (even though everything will be off in the van). Is this something most people do? Do I need to also apply the caravan handbrake for the crossing? If there are any other tips you can recommend I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, with regards to topping up the tow car with fuel, over the last year I have been either filling up prior to departure (no caravan attached) or just before leaving the site. What is everyone's experience of using petrol stations with the caravan attached. I'm just a little concerned with being able to maneuver the outfit. With it being diesel are we permitted to use the pumps for HGV lorries? Many thanks in advance for the advice.

SteveL replied on 20/02/2024 18:54

Posted on 20/02/2024 18:54

I always disconnected the cable, just on the off chance there might be some drain, although I don’t think it strictly necessary. I also applied the handbrake, they ask that you apply the one on the car plus leave it in gear and it seemed sensible to set the one on the caravan. They also ask you not to set alarms with motion / movement sensors. It was easy on our car and caravan, but the only way I can do it on the MH is to lock the cab doors using the dashboard button and exit via the habitation door locking that with the key.

I did occasionally use supermarket petrol stations here when towing, however would never attempt it in France, they are often challenging even with the MH and we have had to reverse out of a few. If necessary when towing I took the financial hit and filled up on the autoroute. They seemed to have adequate space on the normal pumps. I believe the HGV ones fill too fast but may have that wrong.

eurortraveller replied on 20/02/2024 19:44

Posted on 20/02/2024 19:44

Keith, French HGV diesel pumps are best avoided - the nozzle is often a larger size and the flow rate is too great.

As for French supermarket refuelling I have towed in and out of umpteen of them with a small Eriba caravan, but I always paused, wandered over, and had a look before committing myself. Your tactic of re fuelling solo is sensible. 

eribaMotters replied on 20/02/2024 21:12

Posted on 20/02/2024 21:12

Do not worry. You'll get told what to do when you pull up at the port and when you roll onto the ferry.

As regards fuel, I've never had a problem with access once pulled into a petrol station, but I have avoided a few in the 20+ years we've been abroad as I have noted they may be a bit tight. I usually keep a fairly full tank, filling up if I see a good price. By avoiding the toll roads this is easy as you normally pass by the massive out of town Hypermarkets.

Colin

AGOG replied on 21/02/2024 14:19

Posted on 21/02/2024 14:19

I agree re ferry.

Generally I use large supermarket stations. they tend to be in a corner away from the busiest parking areas and if you don't like the look of them easy to turn away. I have had to do this twice. 

Something else to consider is aires. Always follow the caravan signed route to parking and if there isn't one, use the HGV route. I followed a truck through a poorly signed one last year until it suddenly came to a stop. The driver got out and waved me backwards which, given the distance, I wasn't keen on. The driver was Romanian so language wasn't feasible and I went round to the front of the artic to discover the problem. At the end of the drive through was a very tight and very high radius bend kerb the HGV physically just could not achieve, not sure I and my wide caravan would have either. A 150m reverse for us both and all was well. Thankfully a kind and aware person at the far end of the aire had stopped traffic from entering the parking area and gridlocking us all in.

The French ignore parking signage and just go anywhere that suits them be it cars, coaches, caravans or HGV's, it can be very frustrating when there is nowhere to pull up because of one or two misplaced vehicles. If it happens to you, keep your cool, just go to the next one, they are never that far apart and if you need to use an hgv space don't worry about it.

Oneputt replied on 21/02/2024 14:31

Posted on 21/02/2024 14:31

I always disconnect the electrics although it’s not strictly necessary.  
We also freeze a large bottle of milk which keeps the fridge cool during the voyage

peedee replied on 21/02/2024 14:33

Posted on 21/02/2024 14:33

When I had a caravan and used the ferries I never bothered disconnecting the electric cable but like Steve I used to put the caravan handbrake on.

Eurotraveller is correct about the size of the HGV nozzles, you will not be able to use them unless your vehicle is fitted with the larger HGV filler opening. The same applies in the UK. My motorhome fortunately has the wider filler and I can use either the normal pumps or the HGV ones.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 21/02/2024 15:32

Posted on 21/02/2024 15:32

French supermarket fuel stations are often two sided. One set of pumps will feed you through to pay at the little concrete kiosk, but the chicane and narow exit there may well be impossible to negotiate with a caravan. 

But there is often another route to re fuel using the pay at pump with a credit card section - because the concrete kiosk may well be shut for lunch or for the  local saints day or whatever - and the route outwards from those pumps is often direct and straight and non stressful.

So caravanners should always look at the situation and form a plan in advance.

Happy days.

AGOG replied on 21/02/2024 16:47

Posted on 21/02/2024 14:31 by Oneputt

I always disconnect the electrics although it’s not strictly necessary.  
We also freeze a large bottle of milk which keeps the fridge cool during the voyage

Posted on 21/02/2024 16:47

not supposed to do that are you?

TobyLeeds replied on 21/02/2024 17:24

Posted on 21/02/2024 17:24

We always pitch, have a cuppa,  and if moving on the next day, I pop out to the local supermarket and top up - we often need bread/ milk etc so it’s no hassle.

Usually credit card only at the fuel (often unstaffed and if there is someone in the pay station they disappear from 12 till 14.00 hrs.) 

If you intend to stop in an aire for lunch (and you are travelling in July or August) stop early - 11.30 ish as the caravan spaces fill up with everything but caravans at 12.00!

Oneputt replied on 21/02/2024 19:29

Posted on 21/02/2024 16:47 by AGOG

not supposed to do that are you?

Posted on 21/02/2024 19:29

Not a problem if if it’s for personal use

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook