Caravaning through France and Spain

Lozzy replied on 30/12/2017 14:33

Posted on 30/12/2017 14:33

Hi there, we are first time posters in need of advice for traveling through France and Spain with a caravan.

My wife and I are retiring at the end of March and planning a three month tour from mid April with our twin axle van.

Most of the info we've read on this forum concerning this subject seems to be motorhome specific and therefore, we are seeking caravanning advice, specifically recommended routes, suitable sites and advice on whether advance bookings are advised on certain sites especially in Spain for extended stays.

We would be grateful for anyone taking the time to pass on any information.

Thanks in advance Steve and Lorraine.

eurortraveller replied on 30/12/2017 15:22

Posted on 30/12/2017 15:22

Hi S and L, That sounds like a great trip and crossing France with a caravan is just so easy. The route is whichever way you want to go,  calling at any of the places you want to see, with campsites in almost every village - just check they are open for the season before you get there. Get this Club's Touring France and Spain guides, and the ACSI Book and discount card , but if you want advice about anywhere in particular then someone on here will help. Take care. 

Metheven replied on 30/12/2017 15:41

Posted on 30/12/2017 15:41

Hi Lozzy, there are many on here that have toured quite a few countries with their caravans, personally I have been eastwards to Vienna, south east to Croatia and Italy's Adriatic coast not forgetting France.

Initially I purchased the ACSI campsite book and card, but there are alternatives. We will be setting off again for 3 months mid April and will have no need to book ahead until July (getting busy) when we will phone a few sites a day or two before travel, before that just turn up and pitch and give an indication of length of stay, you are free to leave whenever with payment usually the day before.

March may find some sites not opened but the ACSI book and others will give information on this.

It's your choice, but ours in France is to use non motorway and amble gently along as we are in no hurry without a final destination, and stop whenever or something of interest in the area grabs us. Basically we have no itinerary, only a rough route direction and a list of things to see and do.

replied on 30/12/2017 16:12

Posted on 30/12/2017 16:12

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 30/12/2017 16:16

Posted on 30/12/2017 16:16

As you have three months I would encourage you to make the journey very much part of the holiday certainly spending some time in France on the way down to Spain. We have only camped in Spain a couple of times and there was a 20 year gap between visits so I am unable to help much on that score. Generally during the months of April/May/June there is little need to book unless you want a specific pitch on a specific campsite. As you have a twin axle caravan you might want to seek out sites with larger pitches especially if you want to erect an awning. 

Good luck with your planning.

David

Lozzy replied on 30/12/2017 17:45

Posted on 30/12/2017 17:45

We'd like to than you all for your replies and are grateful for your advice.

Many thanks Steve and Lorraine .

Wherenext replied on 30/12/2017 20:14

Posted on 30/12/2017 20:14

Sensible advice given by one and all.

Only thing I would add is to make sure your household insurance covers the period of your unoccupancy, check that your motor insurance policy covers you for the time you are away and also sort out appropriate insurance for breakdown, health cover etc.

Oh, and enjoy yourselves.

hitchglitch replied on 31/12/2017 13:42

Posted on 30/12/2017 14:33 by Lozzy

Hi there, we are first time posters in need of advice for traveling through France and Spain with a caravan.

My wife and I are retiring at the end of March and planning a three month tour from mid April with our twin axle van.

Most of the info we've read on this forum concerning this subject seems to be motorhome specific and therefore, we are seeking caravanning advice, specifically recommended routes, suitable sites and advice on whether advance bookings are advised on certain sites especially in Spain for extended stays.

We would be grateful for anyone taking the time to pass on any information.

Thanks in advance Steve and Lorraine.

Posted on 31/12/2017 13:42

Never been to Spain but have met many people who split their holiday Spain/France. As you are going early season it makes sense to go fairly quickly to Spain to enjoy the best weather then head North into France where it can be quite hot in May.

Longtimecaravanner replied on 31/12/2017 17:09

Posted on 31/12/2017 17:09

My go to site for information on caravaning in Spain is

https://jondogoescaravanning.com/2015/10/06/welcome-to-my-blog/

Admittedly John goes over the winter but the routes and sites he mentions would all be open in summer and he has lots of advice of what to see on the way in Spain.

We went for the first time in late October this year but have spent many years bumbling through France so you may find something of use about sites in my blog

https://jennyandjohngocaravanning.wordpress.com/2017/11/11/spain/

When we took early retirement thirteen years ago we felt that unless we were unlucky we should have ten years to go and do it all and anything over that would be a bonus. We are now into the bonus years and have had so much pleasure from our caravanning. However it is only over the last five years that we have got a bit more adventurous and gone further afield i.e. Spain and Austria. You sound as if you are going for it straight away. I wish we had. Good luck to you and a very happy retirement.

Lozzy replied on 03/01/2018 10:31

Posted on 30/12/2017 20:14 by Wherenext

Sensible advice given by one and all.

Only thing I would add is to make sure your household insurance covers the period of your unoccupancy, check that your motor insurance policy covers you for the time you are away and also sort out appropriate insurance for breakdown, health cover etc.

Oh, and enjoy yourselves.

Posted on 03/01/2018 10:31

Thanks for that, I must admit it's something we hadn't thought of.

Again I'd like to thank everyone for their advice.

young thomas replied on 03/01/2018 14:53

Posted on 31/12/2017 13:42 by hitchglitch

Never been to Spain but have met many people who split their holiday Spain/France. As you are going early season it makes sense to go fairly quickly to Spain to enjoy the best weather then head North into France where it can be quite hot in May.

Posted on 03/01/2018 14:53

"Never been to Spain".....Hitch, ive seen you write this often and was wondering why not?

any plans to cross the border next time youre down that way?

its funny, i remember the first time we went (heading to Benicassim for some winter sunshine) and, as we crossed the border, nothing happened......we just carried on as if we still in France....wink

Spain is a wonderful country and it seems a shame that you haven't been, despite you being in the Perpignan/Argeles are before (from your posts...)

just curious, either way, happy travelssmile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook