What do people want or expect from a CL ?

JohnM20 replied on 25/09/2018 08:50

Posted on 25/09/2018 08:50

We have just returned from a wonderful 10 days on a lovely CL in the New Forest. This was exactly as all the reviews had stated, flat, peaceful, lovely owners and very well kept. We were surprised, however, by the remarks of one couple who were staying there who didn't like the CL one bit. They were complaining about the fact that there were three horses in the adjoining paddock (excuse me but we were in the New Forest famous for horses!), They claimed they could smell them and there were flies, neither point we could agree with at all. They also said that they thought the site was bigger than it was. The handbook states it is half an acre which is possibly underestimating the actual size as there was far more space per unit than any CC main site but this couple were trying to judge the size from the photos online. (If they looked at the photos they would also see horse jumping 'jumps' in the adjoining paddock which might have given them a clue as to the possible proximity of horses). Why not believe the owner's description? They then went on to say that they didn't believe the reviews on line claiming that they were probably all written by the owners themselves. What an insult.

Talking the the owners in very general terms about people going into the countryside and then complaining about the characteristics of the countryside, sounds and smells etc, I was told that one couple staying on the site last year asked the owners to do something about the noise of the sheep (which they didn't own) in a neighbouring field. What do people expect ? If you don't like the characteristics of the countryside stay in a city and listen to the traffic and breath in the fumes.

Takethedogalong replied on 25/09/2018 11:23

Posted on 25/09/2018 11:23

Take it from me John, there are some folks who should never visit CLs, or the rural areas altogether. Years ago, we had builders in doing a bit of work for us, a nice team, mainly in twenties age range. We said to them use garden for lunch as it was a lovely Summer. I came out with a pot of tea for them and one of the lads asked what those strange large birds were at bottom of garden. He had never seen a live chicken before!

Some members are dipping in a toe to CLs, as Club Site prices creep ever higher. Upon arriving there, a few are shocked to find live animals around, birds that hoot in the night, no peg dictating how to park and strange green stuff hitherto confined to parks! They then go online demanding things are brought up to Club Site standards!šŸ˜‚šŸ‘Ž

Tinwheeler replied on 25/09/2018 13:13

Posted on 25/09/2018 13:13

The daughter of a farmer friend of ours was asked by a work colleague where milk came from.

As TDA said, there are some people who should avoid the alien environment of the countryside. 

redface replied on 25/09/2018 20:10

Posted on 25/09/2018 20:10

There are also those of us, who have lived and worked in London all our lives up to retirement, who thoroughly enjoy the smells, sounds, muck and beautiful views afforded by CLs.

Quieter and more peaceful than some club sites we have been on.

Each to their own,

Tinwheeler replied on 25/09/2018 20:13

Posted on 25/09/2018 20:13

"There are also those of us, who have lived and worked in London all our lives up to retirement, who thoroughly enjoy the smells, sounds, muck and beautiful views afforded by CLs."

That's because you understand and appreciate the differences, RF, others don't.

brue replied on 25/09/2018 20:21

Posted on 25/09/2018 20:21

There are people who live in the countryside who don't notice what's around them, it's not the environment it's those who live in it without being aware of their surroundings, town or country. Luckily a lot of people do appreciate things.

Our tale is a someone at work who rushed in one morning here in Somerset and declared he'd just seen a Golden Eagle....even though he'd lived all his life in a spot where buzzards lived in the trees near him, he never knew what they were. So you can be amongst it and still not notice!

Takethedogalong replied on 25/09/2018 20:37

Posted on 25/09/2018 20:37

Had to laugh today. Had a day out at Chainbridge Honey Farm, which has a vintage double decker bus for a delightful cafe. Top deck, mid cuppa, cue mayhem as someone spotted a couple of wasps inside, and the arm flapping started! I just calmly grabbed a clean glass and a piece of paper, caught said "hornets" inside, then let them go out the window. Some embarrassed faces when I explained they were honey bees, often found on a honey farm! Some folks are just plain barking!undecided

Wherenext replied on 25/09/2018 21:06

Posted on 25/09/2018 21:06

We've lived in the countryside and holidayed mainly in country areas for the majority of our lives.

However my sister has always lived in a city. One year we took her with us on a flying visit to see some cousins in Dublin. The ferry docked back in Holyhead early in the evening and as I was driving through the Anglesey countryside she asked a very simple question:

"Where do they put the sheep at night?" 

She insisted on going home early when she stayed over at our house because she couldn't sleep due to the strange noises that some bird (an owl) was making and as for the birds in the morning. I wouldn't mind but she lived on a busy road in Liverpool.

Some people should never be allowed out in the countryside without taking an exam first.

Oneputt replied on 26/09/2018 16:36

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:36

Chickens to cluck, cockerels to crow, sheep to baa and cows to moo otherwise I’m in the wrong placesurprisedlaughing

JohnM20 replied on 26/09/2018 16:53

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:36 by Oneputt

Chickens to cluck, cockerels to crow, sheep to baa and cows to moo otherwise Iā€™m in the wrong placesurprisedlaughing

Posted on 26/09/2018 16:53

Wood pigeons tap dancing on the caravan roof at 4am can be a bit annoying!crysmile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook