Site Directory 2021/22 and OS references

Wherenext replied on 26/01/2020 13:53

Posted on 26/01/2020 13:53

When the current SD came out there was quite a furore over the lack of O.S.Grid References in the CL section. The club gave the lack of space as a reason stating that Sat Nav references were more pertinent in this day and age.

Well why can't we have both?

If you troll through the CL sections on any given page most of the CLs will make reference to having Coarse and/or Game Fishing within 5 miles. If you count the spacing that this information takes up it comes to 48 character spaces. Can someone tell me what is wrong with using the symbols that are used for CAMC sites and putting them with the other symbols used to describe the CL? I know that the site symbol is used to inform about fishing within 5 miles and the CL is used for site but the vast majority of CLs do not have fishing directly on their site. So if the CL wishes to inform you they have fishing on site then they can tell you, maybe by introducing, say, a tick next to the symbol.

This would free up an awful lot of space and we could have the OS references back and the fishing folk would still be kept informed.

As an aside I have never seen anyone in all of my caravanning years go off fishing, cleaning fishing tackle or talk to me about fishing whilst on a CL (except on 2 CLs which happened to have fishing lakes). So, without denigrating fishing in any way, why does fishing get special treatment over say walking or cycling or birdwatching etc.? Why the need to mention it? Us a symbol like you do for beaches or nature etc.etc.

Anyway, hopefully someone who is responsible for producing the S.D. might just have a think about it and gauge opinion.

Note to Mods - I have put this topic in the C.L. section rather than Club Products as I think more members who are interested in O.S. references for CLs will find it here.

SteveL replied on 30/01/2020 16:44

Posted on 30/01/2020 15:20 by peedee

How do CL owners provide them? If it is Latitude and Longtitude it will mean someone has to convert them and check they are correct before going to print. That's time and money. It could equally apply the other way around so without knowing how they are provided, difficult to comment further but I strongly suspect in this day and age it is Lat and long which is also more accurate than the judgement of a three figure grid ref.

In any case surely directions matter more than any position reference and the Club does provided a map with sites and CL positions marked. I think the Club has to start drawing a line somewhere if it is to cut costs and duplication of information seems to be an obvious choice to cut.

peedee

Posted on 30/01/2020 16:44

I agree directions matter and some are truly terrible making a positional reference very important. The actual amount of time needed to convert either way is minimal. What would take time is checking if they are correct ( no idea if they do) and that would take as much time however they were provided.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/01/2020 18:08

Posted on 30/01/2020 15:20 by peedee

How do CL owners provide them? If it is Latitude and Longtitude it will mean someone has to convert them and check they are correct before going to print. That's time and money. It could equally apply the other way around so without knowing how they are provided, difficult to comment further but I strongly suspect in this day and age it is Lat and long which is also more accurate than the judgement of a three figure grid ref.

In any case surely directions matter more than any position reference and the Club does provided a map with sites and CL positions marked. I think the Club has to start drawing a line somewhere if it is to cut costs and duplication of information seems to be an obvious choice to cut.

peedee

Posted on 30/01/2020 18:08

But that’s my point PD. The Club does provide a map with the supposed locations on it, but those of us who use CLs as our first choice, know that the dot on the map, the directions given and the actual grid referenced location can differ!

I don’t knock technology, and do in fact use it. But gadgets cost, and some CLs don’t offer a good signal. So a mobile is as useful as a chocolate fireguard in those circumstance. We only have a Sat Nav because our posh Jeep came with one. They are still useful. And if it’s right, the Grid reference will be there as long as the CL is, so it’s once only exercise.

peedee replied on 30/01/2020 18:50

Posted on 30/01/2020 18:50

However they are provided they are unlikely to be error free. I have already noticed an error in the latest POIs. The point of my posts is to point out not all of us need an out dated system of OS grid references.

JohnM, a lot of supposition in your post. Fishing happens to be the most popular sport in the UK.

peedee

cyberyacht replied on 31/01/2020 08:53

Posted on 31/01/2020 08:53

Apparently more people go fishing than watch football. Given the all-pervasive coverage on TV and in the papers, you would never guess. Why is the media so obsessed with football?

Takethedogalong replied on 31/01/2020 09:39

Posted on 31/01/2020 09:39

Erm..............money? 

There might well be more people actually go fishing, but I doubt there are more who watch it. Twice I agreed to get involved in my youth. Once on land (warm and sunny, I got a decent tan, but no fish were harmed that day😂) and then on an ill fated sea fishing trip.............(oh deary  me............🤢🤢🤮) It was a relationship that didn’t last.

I like watching football live. It’s as close as being a Roman going to the Coliseum as you can get! Slightly less blood of course, but very funny watching multi millionaire’s running around in snow and rain while the masses bay at them to run faster.😁

Navigateur replied on 31/01/2020 10:49

Posted on 31/01/2020 10:49

The whole problem stems from the fact that the world we live on is, more or less, round yet most people think about places locally on it as if it were flat.  Latitude and Longitude is a simple way to reference a point on a sphere but the "lines" of Longitude are all curves that meet at the poles and are widely seperated at the equator. Think Terrys Chocolate Orange.

To make a map that appears on a flat surface requires some form of "projection" and there have been hundreds devised over the years. All of them have to introduce a level of distortion. The National Grid as produced by the Ordnance Survey has grid lines that are parallel on the map and a consistent one kilometer apart. So the distance on the ground between two adjacent lines running north to south is the same at Land's End as it is at John o'Groats.

This makes for easy and consistent estimation of distance on the map. Try doing that with lines of latitude and longitude and you need to involve considerable calculations because they taper together the further north they are. Electronic devices will work it out if you specify points but are no use for looking at a general view.

The limitation of this far superior NGR system is that it can only work over a limited area, such as Great Britain. Ireland has a different grid but on the same principle. So for international use there would need to be many seperate grid systems, so Latitude and Longitude get the widespread use. Perhaps the next name change will be to The Worldwide Caravan Club?

It is interesting to note though that the Club's bi-annual map is still using a location grid based very closely indeed on the National Grid of the Ordnance Survey. Should one know a Grid Reference one can actually plot it directly onto that map with no electronics required.

Wherenext replied on 31/01/2020 19:12

Posted on 30/01/2020 18:50 by peedee

However they are provided they are unlikely to be error free. I have already noticed an error in the latest POIs. The point of my posts is to point out not all of us need an out dated system of OS grid references.

JohnM, a lot of supposition in your post. Fishing happens to be the most popular sport in the UK.

peedee

Posted on 31/01/2020 19:12

By the same token not all of us need or in fact use the new fangled system either.

As for keeping fishing folk happy then refer to my suggestion in the OP. It would save space and keep both factions happy.

It might be the most popular "sport" in the UK, participation wise, but once again I have yet to come across anyone who I have seen with fishing tackle on a CL, save for a couple of fishing lake sites. Cleaning walking boots yes, getting bikes out and going off cycling yes, even someone setting up a telescope for star gazing but fishing never.

TonyBurton replied on 31/01/2020 21:17

Posted on 31/01/2020 21:17

I really miss the NGRs and hope they will be replaced. When I plan a holiday I like to buy the local OS map and then use the NGR's to pick a site with local footpaths etc. I usually rely on the site instructions when navigating to the site because they tend to avoid difficult stretches of road. My vote is, please bring the NGRs back

peedee replied on 03/02/2020 19:26

Posted on 03/02/2020 19:26

The NGRs are available on the web site. If you can post on here there is no reason why you cannot get them for use when undertaking planning at home.

peedee

Navigateur replied on 03/02/2020 21:05

Posted on 03/02/2020 21:05

The NGRs are available on the web site.

. . . where they are referred to as "OS field ref". This says a lot about the knowlege of the people who are putting the information on the web-site and in the handbook, and may be at the bottom of the omission of NGRs from print.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook