Site Directory 2021/22 and OS references

Wherenext replied on 26/01/2020 13:53

Posted on 26/01/2020 13:53

When the current SD came out there was quite a furore over the lack of O.S.Grid References in the CL section. The club gave the lack of space as a reason stating that Sat Nav references were more pertinent in this day and age.

Well why can't we have both?

If you troll through the CL sections on any given page most of the CLs will make reference to having Coarse and/or Game Fishing within 5 miles. If you count the spacing that this information takes up it comes to 48 character spaces. Can someone tell me what is wrong with using the symbols that are used for CAMC sites and putting them with the other symbols used to describe the CL? I know that the site symbol is used to inform about fishing within 5 miles and the CL is used for site but the vast majority of CLs do not have fishing directly on their site. So if the CL wishes to inform you they have fishing on site then they can tell you, maybe by introducing, say, a tick next to the symbol.

This would free up an awful lot of space and we could have the OS references back and the fishing folk would still be kept informed.

As an aside I have never seen anyone in all of my caravanning years go off fishing, cleaning fishing tackle or talk to me about fishing whilst on a CL (except on 2 CLs which happened to have fishing lakes). So, without denigrating fishing in any way, why does fishing get special treatment over say walking or cycling or birdwatching etc.? Why the need to mention it? Us a symbol like you do for beaches or nature etc.etc.

Anyway, hopefully someone who is responsible for producing the S.D. might just have a think about it and gauge opinion.

Note to Mods - I have put this topic in the C.L. section rather than Club Products as I think more members who are interested in O.S. references for CLs will find it here.

Wherenext replied on 27/01/2020 19:17

Posted on 27/01/2020 17:54 by Takethedogalong

We use quite remote CLs, and have found the Grid references excellent for pinpointing locations of such CLs. Sometimes, simple really is good! 

Posted on 27/01/2020 19:17

Precisely put Ttda.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/01/2020 19:42

Posted on 27/01/2020 19:42

We have found that on occasion, the Grid reference is correct, but the CL location shown on the Club map isn’t! 🤣

nelliethehooker replied on 27/01/2020 20:18

Posted on 27/01/2020 19:42 by Takethedogalong

We have found that on occasion, the Grid reference is correct, but the CL location shown on the Club map isn’t! 🤣

Posted on 27/01/2020 20:18

Aye, there's a few of those!!

Wherenext replied on 27/01/2020 20:26

Posted on 27/01/2020 20:26

I agree with Steve that it was ridiculous to suggest space saving as a reason to get rid of them. I really can't understand why the club wanted to get rid of something which can help both members and CL owners. 

willbee replied on 28/01/2020 15:44

Posted on 28/01/2020 15:44

Bring back the OS Grid Refs!!!!

The Club sent me their list of the all the Club sites and CL grid refs, the information is there for the asking, but it makes much more sense if they put their hands up and admit it was a bad move to omit them from the directory.

That won't happen unless enough members make their feelings known.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/01/2020 10:02

Posted on 27/01/2020 20:26 by Wherenext

I agree with Steve that it was ridiculous to suggest space saving as a reason to get rid of them. I really can't understand why the club wanted to get rid of something which can help both members and CL owners. 

Posted on 29/01/2020 10:02

Well, at the risk of being controversial, I would suggest a degree of “dumbing down”. In this age of high tech equipment, lots of folks will use other methods..........until they can’t get a connection, or realise the Sat Nav isn’t compensating for a wide or long vehicle! 😂 Basic skills are so underrated nowadays.......

peedee replied on 30/01/2020 11:55

Posted on 29/01/2020 10:02 by Takethedogalong

Well, at the risk of being controversial, I would suggest a degree of “dumbing down”. In this age of high tech equipment, lots of folks will use other methods..........until they can’t get a connection, or realise the Sat Nav isn’t compensating for a wide or long vehicle! 😂 Basic skills are so underrated nowadays.......

Posted on 30/01/2020 11:55

But it is so much easier to use technology. It offers choice on how to access information and it can supply much more detail than leafing through a handbook. Anyone want to buy an almost new  handbook ? Excellent condition perhaps used once only!

peedee

SteveL replied on 30/01/2020 13:40

Posted on 30/01/2020 11:55 by peedee

But it is so much easier to use technology. It offers choice on how to access information and it can supply much more detail than leafing through a handbook. Anyone want to buy an almost new  handbook ? Excellent condition perhaps used once only!

peedee

Posted on 30/01/2020 13:40

I also prefer to use the technology and our handbook is equally pristine. Much of the tech can even be used offline. However, this is a Club and surely should be supplying the information in a format to suit all members. Particularly when it is not that difficult to do. I don't ever remember being asked in any of the surveys anything about navigation, so how have they decided that OS coordinates are no longer needed in the directory.

peedee replied on 30/01/2020 15:20

Posted on 30/01/2020 15:20

How do CL owners provide them? If it is Latitude and Longtitude it will mean someone has to convert them and check they are correct before going to print. That's time and money. It could equally apply the other way around so without knowing how they are provided, difficult to comment further but I strongly suspect in this day and age it is Lat and long which is also more accurate than the judgement of a three figure grid ref.

In any case surely directions matter more than any position reference and the Club does provided a map with sites and CL positions marked. I think the Club has to start drawing a line somewhere if it is to cut costs and duplication of information seems to be an obvious choice to cut.

peedee

JohnM20 replied on 30/01/2020 16:03

Posted on 30/01/2020 16:03

Why remove something that is valuable to many members. If to save space look at other information that isn't of value to many members. How many of us need to know that there is fishing withing 5 miles ? Not many I would suggest.

Whilst some members will never use OS grid references I suspect that there are very many that do, certainly more than go fishing. It should be no great problem to reinstate them in the directory as the club already have them - or should still have them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook