Sharing a holiday!

Takethedogalong replied on 12/12/2017 12:16

Posted on 12/12/2017 12:16

We love CL's, always our first choice when looking for somewhere to stay, and down the years we have shared visits on a few with like minded friends and family. This year we have been a bit down on our touring time away due to health issues, but we have come up with something great to enjoy for next year, and to solve a Christmas present dilemma for family member!

One of our relatives had a stroke a good few years ago, and needs help and adapted accommodation to enjoy a holiday. So, we have booked a couple of nights away at a lovely CL for us, and a couple of nights away for them in the gorgeous little cottage next door to the CL field! They can come across and join us in MH for a meal, we can go out in either our MH or their car, and our much loved relatives can still enjoy a break away in comfort and ease! There are lots of CLs that provide alternative accommodation alongside pitches, and just thought I would share this idea, and make others aware of just how easy it is to holiday with others, even if they don't have a van or a MH!laughing

eurortraveller replied on 12/12/2017 12:39

Posted on 12/12/2017 12:39

A nice kind thought.

We do the same sort of thing with friends and family without bothering with the CL bit.  We shared a cottage in the Scilly Isles with two of our very oldest friends, and had a big family reunion for 14 of of us when we rented a seven bedroom house and shared the cost. No quarrels and no tantrums! 

Happy Christmas to you. I hope things go better for you in 2018. 

Takethedogalong replied on 12/12/2017 12:47

Posted on 12/12/2017 12:47

Thanks Euro T. Yes, we have shared cottages, but with our dogs as well, which was fine with Mum and Dad, but they are a bit clumsy and we didn't want them knocking into our relative! Having the MH to go around in makes it great for going out all day as well, warm and cosy for A, who can't walk far, but has a snooze in comfort while we are having a stroll somewhere with dogs! Then we enjoy a hot cooked meal up on Moors! Can't beat it. They treat us to a nice pub meal as well. 

We shall be out exploring again in New Year, things are picking up now, we are getting there. Just need to erase 2017 from the memory banks!

Tammygirl replied on 12/12/2017 17:48

Posted on 12/12/2017 17:48

Lovely idea TTDA, I hope you all have a good time. Nice to hear that things are getting better for you, onwards  and upwards as they say hope 2018 is a good year for you.

We have been on holiday with family and friends in the past, sometimes it works sometimes not, I think you having your own space but share some of the time together is a good thing.

Takethedogalong replied on 12/12/2017 18:14

Posted on 12/12/2017 18:14

Yes, it works well. We very much like our own space, even if we take a holiday in a cottage, but this has worked out ideal for us. We can use the shower in the cottage as well if we want, and it gives SIL a break from caring if we can help a bit. The same place looks a very good idea to give my Mum and Sister a holiday away as well, they are not into caravans and MHs like we are, but will like the idea of a mobile picnic vehicle! laughing

Wherenext replied on 12/12/2017 20:18

Posted on 12/12/2017 20:18

Nice post Ttda. As you know we like to hire a cottage to go away with my Mother-in-law, usually twice a year. Whilst she is very active for her age she doesn't do stairs well and we have to find places with walk in showers as well. 

I do think it also helps me mentally as well, being aware of other people's needs and seeing places through their eyes. I love the planning aspect, finding places of interest or places to eat, like today. We went to Walsingham Abbey as her brother used to be a priest and took part in the Easter Service for quite a number of years. She had never seen the place so we built it into the days itenarary.

Hope all goes well for you and 2018 is a better year.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/12/2017 10:31

Posted on 13/12/2017 10:31

Yes, I remember seeing that OP, looks lovely. We have seen renovated gypsy caravans (horse drawn), yurts, pods, bunkhouses, and other things alongside cottages and the Garden room we have booked. You can stay in renovated classic railway carriages on NY Moors, but no pitches close by sadly!

CholseyGrange replied on 13/12/2017 15:02

Posted on 13/12/2017 15:02

As you say, quite a few CL's also run B&B or Self-catering alongside their CL site. 

We run a horse-riding business which has its own accommodation for those wanting to holiday with their horses.  Of course, it's also open to visitors to the CL.

More details here.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/12/2017 15:22

Posted on 13/12/2017 15:22

Very nice CG! We used to stay on a lovely private site in Cornwall, and often would have liked to have taken our horse with us! But it is a heck of a long way with just a trailer, and he wasn't the worlds best traveller, even to shows! We compromised, and found some decent riding stables not too far away. Still have wonderful memories of rides across Dartmoor! The diversity available when looking at the CL network is a real plus, just so much for visitors to try! laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook