No electric hook up and freezing cold

littlefairy replied on 21/06/2018 22:45

Posted on 21/06/2018 22:45

Is it just me or would you also be annoyed if you booked a site that says hook up available and arrived to find they only have enough for 3 units and you have no power, small children and it's 3  degrees overnight?  Oh, and they try to charge you more than their web page says. 

KjellNN replied on 21/06/2018 23:15

Posted on 21/06/2018 23:15

Yes, I would be disappointed, and likely very annoyed as we always want EHU.  IMO they should have told you they only had 3 EHUs.

The price on CLs often seems to be different from that stated, we always ask for confirmation of the price when we book.  If they have their own website, then there really is no excuse for not having all their info up to date.

Please do write a review so others can be better informed.

Elima replied on 21/06/2018 23:15

Posted on 21/06/2018 23:15

It is not you, I would be livid and would expect to have to pay less, not more.  Perhaps you could name and shame?

Takethedogalong replied on 21/06/2018 23:42

Posted on 21/06/2018 23:42

It's not perfect! Did you book online or telephone? We use a lot of CLs and much prefer to talk on the phone to check a few things out. Some webpages are either out of date, or state a "prices from......£x" which gives the site owners scope to charge more at peak periods. Does your van not have a gas heating option? 

Being able to ask some questions means we don't use online booking systems as a first option. With CLs new to us, we get lots of information prior to booking. Hope things work out for you, and that your weather warms up. We had a balmy 14c overnight here!smile

littlefairy replied on 22/06/2018 06:29

Posted on 22/06/2018 06:29

We moved to another site nearby, I have asaked for a refund but I'm not hopeful, I checked out the reviews, they had full marks when I booked, but they have since had others sating the same thing, I anted to know if it was just me, I'm glad to see others would also be upset by this, we are new to caravaning and I wanted to check, so thank you x

littlefairy replied on 22/06/2018 07:04

Posted on 22/06/2018 07:04

I booked by email,  a few months ago, I was worried before we left, I had an email the day before asking saying that we hadn't confirmed the booking, so I forwarded the email confirmation, the other bad review also said there were 7 vans on site and they couldn't do anything without the power tripping.

replied on 22/06/2018 07:09

Posted on 22/06/2018 07:09

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

littlefairy replied on 22/06/2018 07:43

Posted on 22/06/2018 07:43

We've never used the gas before, we're new to caravaining, we couldn't get it to work, and at 10 at night with little ones it was hard work, I also didn't want to leave  gas heating on as I don't know when it was last serviced, to big a risk. I will be leaving a review on the site and it will be a very honest one.

Bakers2 replied on 22/06/2018 08:52

Posted on 22/06/2018 08:52

I'd be very cross too. What a start to your new hobby 😲. Do write a review and don't let it put you off.

Too late now but often it's best to start it on a club site, knowledgeable wardens and fellow campers ☺. Do get a get habitation service, worth the money, as you have discovered. Then you could have heated the van on gas even if you didn't have it on all night. We don't like ours on gas all night. Do get a gas detector and place it low down in the van as another safety feature.

Enjoy your holiday if you're still away and ask questions here, sometimes you can get a very rapid response 😉.

Ì think tge moral of this tale for all of us, not had a CL issue - yet, is chat if possible, establish the cost and dates via email.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook