Extras

greylag replied on 19/07/2019 11:37

Posted on 19/07/2019 11:37

Just back from a tour round Staffordshire and was surprised at one site that wanted to charge me extra if I erected my awning and extra for my dog.

Needless to say I didn't put out the awning. 

I'm pretty sure they would not have come out to help me with the awning or offered to take my dog for a walk...so why the extra.  £15 a night is reasonable....an extra £1.50 for nothing is not.

Grumble over.

Apart from this the owners were very nice.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/07/2019 12:32

Posted on 19/07/2019 12:32

It’s quite common greylag. A lot of CLs apply extra costs for certain things. You just look at the bottom line and either accept it or not. Most still come in a lot cheaper than Club Sites. The CL owners may have their own reasons for putting a cost on certain items. Some provide a dog walk that is regularly mown and have bought a poo bin that they empty, that’s a time and expenditure commitment. Awnings on grass pitches can lead to problems with grass maintenance, that’s a commitment......

moulesy replied on 19/07/2019 13:07

Posted on 19/07/2019 13:07

Was this a CL greylag? I guess the acid test is would you have used it if the "basic" price was £16.50? I'd have thought that reasonable for a site with some basic facility,  maybe a toilet available for site users.

Wherenext replied on 19/07/2019 16:13

Posted on 19/07/2019 16:13

If you are going to use C.L.s on a regular basis then you have to understand that, with over 2,200 of them, you will come across a variety of charging structures. These should be, and are as far as I am aware are, fully disclosed to you at the time of booking , either on the clubs website page for that C.L, or in person by whatever means you make your booking.

Ttda is quite correct. There is a cost factor to maintaining a dog walk or a poo bin and I have seen grass pitches ruined by inconsiderate usage of an awning. In one instance the owner had to take the pitch out of use for some time, thus reducing their income potential.

If you are not happy paying for the extra then vote with your feet. Same applies if the C.L. is charging for a toilet/shower/wifi/Serviced pitch etc.etc.

EmilysDad replied on 19/07/2019 16:55

Posted on 19/07/2019 16:55

I paid extra for my awning at a CL the other week & have paid for the Mutt in the past at other CLs .... I did suggest that I should have asked for £2 back when I took it down a day early due to forecast rain innocent I don't really agree with it ... but paid up. Still better than being packed in on the club site across the road. The same CL did really want us to use the recycling facilities down the road .... not sure what she thought her pitch was for.

JohnM20 replied on 19/07/2019 16:59

Posted on 19/07/2019 16:59

We recently visited a very nice CL in Suffolk that didn't charge extra for an awning but did charge £1.50 per night for a ground sheet of any sort. It is, of course, frequently the groundsheet that does the most pitch damage.

The site also charged extra for electricity but the wifi was free. Basic price was £12.00 per night with a water tap on each pitch. Total price for us was £13.71 per night with no groundsheet. Excellent value. Excellent CL.

greylag replied on 19/07/2019 17:04

Posted on 19/07/2019 17:04

Just being a bit tight fisted.

I fully accept you pay your money or not.  We use CL's all the time and happy to pay up to £15.  Just give me water and electricity and I'm happy.

Not really had a bad CL, just some a bit better than others.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/07/2019 17:11

Posted on 19/07/2019 17:11

Location, being in the right place, carries a premium for us. Just as much if not more than being on a HS, having a hook up and definitely more valued than having a loo or shower. But we are happy doing it basic, if the location for a short stay is right. Likewise, we will pay a bit more for an ideal location if it suits. Our savings come choosing an option like we did a fortnight ago, we could have had two nights on a HS pitch at Bridlington for £71. Instead we had a huge firm grass pitch, excellent facility block and a quaint little shop all for £44. A mere mile and a half from the attraction we had gone to visit. 

HelenandTrevor replied on 19/07/2019 17:14

Posted on 19/07/2019 17:14

I have found that a few CL'S are now charging "extras" I booked a CL yesterday and the price was confirmed at £14, I was then asked if I intended to use an awning and told it was £2 extra per night,  we probably won't use the awning as its only for a weekend. I have also paid an extra charge for the dog , which is fair enough if the CL has some sort of dog walk and bin.

It's always worth checking about any extra charges with the owner when booking.

Wherenext replied on 19/07/2019 20:32

Posted on 19/07/2019 20:32

I do think it's fair to ask the owner why an extra charge is being made for a dog if absolutely no provision is being made for it.

Some members will find it hard to understand CLs pricing bands if coming to them straight from using CaMC sites as they may not have experienced add ons, but once again if you don't like it don't book it.

This year I've paid more than I thought the CL was worth but on both occasions it was for location and an adult free site in school holidays.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook