CL's that advertise incorrect prices

WanderingRover replied on 12/05/2014 18:33

Posted on 12/05/2014 18:33

Over the years of being a member I am amazed how many CL owners think advertising incorrect prices is acceptable and while I accept the club do not intervene with CL prices I do feel they owe a duty of care to members to ensure advertising is correct. Under normal advertising legislation this would be not allowed as misleading to consumers.

I personally will not book a CL when I confirm the price over the telephone if it differs to the club website (I accept the site book comes out every two years and prices can change). I would like to know if other members have similar problems. On some occasions site owners, when I have checked the price that is on the clubs website say ‘you must be using an old book’ my reply is the internet is NEVER an old book.

It really is an issue that I feel strongly about and quite often I don’t go to what may be good and affordable CL’s because they do not treat the customer with respect by being honest and upfront with  their pricing and this suggests to me they are not the people to do business with.

moulesy replied on 17/08/2017 17:22

Posted on 17/08/2017 17:22

I agree to an extent. I'm not sure, though, how often, if ever the club website updates details of CL prices, but I do have some sympathy with CL owners who may have increased their price a little during the second year of the handbook. What I particularly dislike is suddenly finding that a CL bumps up its prices in July/August.Normally I check prices by emailing the site if possible.

At the end of the day, though, it's the total nightly price that counts and as long as we're satisfied with that we'll stay. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 17/08/2017 17:32

Posted on 17/08/2017 17:32

As far as I am aware, all CL prices are advertised on website and in handbook as "prices from...." That leaves scope for add ons, seasonal changes, and even downright profiteering if they are so inclined. The wise CL user always confirms the price either by email, or by telephone, prior to booking to prevent any misunderstandings.

I do recall someone having a bit of a bad experience when a relative of a CL owner gave out an incorrect price, and don't think that ended happily, but surely a rare occurrence?

Edit: I have just glanced at half a dozen of our regular CLs, they all state "...from £x"

cariadon replied on 17/08/2017 22:21

Posted on 17/08/2017 22:21

I think the club must take responsibility for some of the errors. This year, cl we have been using for a few years, was showing a price reduction and a 7 for 6 offer, which they did about 4 years ago. They could not understand why the book and this site would show the old prices.

Tinwheeler replied on 17/08/2017 22:59

Posted on 17/08/2017 22:48 by briantimber

Blimey.... Must be getting desperate on heresurprised

Has anybody noticed the date of the OP?.......cool

Posted on 17/08/2017 22:59

Yeah but I wasn't going to say anything. laughing

nelliethehooker replied on 18/08/2017 21:43

Posted on 17/08/2017 22:59 by Tinwheeler

Yeah but I wasn't going to say anything. laughing

Posted on 18/08/2017 21:43

Just goes to show that nothing changes. You would think that with all the updates the CC  & CL owners could at least keep the site prices up to date

Endeavor replied on 18/08/2017 22:03

Posted on 18/08/2017 22:03

We have recently stayed on a site which was advertised at £20 pn, but when we booked we were told a deposit of £46 for 2 nights was required. We feel this is extortionate, but  we booked as curious as to how premium the Cl was to others. We feel there should be some grading by the Club as to quality, services, members feedback etc.for CL sites which we love to use and generally have good experiences. 

We feel the Club need to reiterate the values of the organisation - honesty, integrity and trust and we, as members, should adhere to these values.

From experience, whenever we have been required to pay a deposit  on a CL we have been very disappointed with the CL standards, whereas when no deposit has been required we have been usually delighted and surprised. So, we must all adhere to trust & respect. I fully understand CL owners must get terribly frustrated with cancellations and no-shows, so we must all be aware and respect this. We have taken to re-confirming the booking 2 days prior by email to check everything is OK for the assurance of the CL owner and ourselves.

Caravan & Motorhome Club please investigate some means of grading and rating CL sites & PLEASE enter the reference numbers as per handbook on the APP! The App is a boon to touring but very frustrating when required to spend an evening cross referencing map/handbook and app. Maybe this is an new "game" instead of dominos!

briantimber replied on 18/08/2017 22:21

Posted on 18/08/2017 22:21

Endeavor, why pay an extortionate price? If you're not happy, then don't pay. Was the price worth it, did you leave a review? Did you phone the CL and ask questions?

The beauty of the CL network is the ability for a one to one conversation with the owners, grading isn't needed, Reviews are normally a good indicator of the CL, plus you also have a phone number and most times an email address. A grading system doesn't appeal to all, as not everybody's opinions are the same....cool

Tinwheeler replied on 18/08/2017 22:49

Posted on 18/08/2017 22:21 by briantimber

Endeavor, why pay an extortionate price? If you're not happy, then don't pay. Was the price worth it, did you leave a review? Did you phone the CL and ask questions?

The beauty of the CL network is the ability for a one to one conversation with the owners, grading isn't needed, Reviews are normally a good indicator of the CL, plus you also have a phone number and most times an email address. A grading system doesn't appeal to all, as not everybody's opinions are the same....cool

Posted on 18/08/2017 22:49

I fully agree, BT.

I also wonder how CAMC could possibly cope with keeping the app up to date when the site numbers change each year and how they'd manage to incorporate gradings into the website and app. IT isn't their strongest point.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook