CL Owners being let down by the club?

Stuh01 replied on 14/09/2020 17:13

Posted on 14/09/2020 17:13

As a CL owner I feel that the club is neglecting the CL network, This year we have been advised that we must purchase our own booking diaries which have always previously been provided by the club and now we have been told that the club no longer offers a Public Liability insurance scheme for the sites. They have pointed us in the direction of a broker which is around 30% more expensive

The club has its own insurance division and it seems ridiculous that we now have to go to 3rd party suppliers for the insurance and then (I assume) we will have to provide copy insurance documents to the club which will just increase admin for everyone!  As a club they should have so much more bargaining power with the insurers!

I know that each CL is technically a separately owned business but it provides a huge membership benefit to the club and I have no doubt that many people join a purely for access to the CL network.

I realize that we are not talking about large amounts of money but all of this is just adding to the operating costs which will be passed on!

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2020 17:48

Posted on 14/09/2020 17:48

The insurance issue has been raised before, Stuh, and there’s an explanation on here somewhere. As I remember it, the decision was not of the club's doing but was due to the underwriter withdrawing provision. That may not be exactly the story but if you contact the club, they'll explain all.

Wherenext replied on 14/09/2020 20:07

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:07

To be honest with you Stuh01 if some other organisation took over the CL network, like the NFU for example, I would seriously consider leaving the CAMC.

As an insurance broker, now retired, I arranged schemes for similar type of cover for disparate groups who had a common theme. It's not difficult to do and I really cannot believe the club couldn't have found an alternative supplier if they really tried. If there's a profit to be made then there will be an insurer willing to make it.

Stuh01 replied on 14/09/2020 20:25

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:07 by Wherenext

To be honest with you Stuh01 if some other organisation took over the CL network, like the NFU for example, I would seriously consider leaving the CAMC.

As an insurance broker, now retired, I arranged schemes for similar type of cover for disparate groups who had a common theme. It's not difficult to do and I really cannot believe the club couldn't have found an alternative supplier if they really tried. If there's a profit to be made then there will be an insurer willing to make it.

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:25

I totally agree, I work within the insurance industry and with 2,000+ sites they have the clout to get the policy underwritten at better terms than an individual broker on a site by site basis.

Same with the booking diaries - they are a tiny cost in comparison to membership revenue that the CL network brings in , it just seems like they don't value they CL network  despite the fact that it provides a large amount of the club membership.....

Don't think I will be renewing my membership

cyberyacht replied on 14/09/2020 20:44

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:44

The CL network is my primary motivator and even then I'm thinking long and hard about renewal.

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2020 20:46

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:25 by Stuh01

I totally agree, I work within the insurance industry and with 2,000+ sites they have the clout to get the policy underwritten at better terms than an individual broker on a site by site basis.

Same with the booking diaries - they are a tiny cost in comparison to membership revenue that the CL network brings in , it just seems like they don't value they CL network  despite the fact that it provides a large amount of the club membership.....

Don't think I will be renewing my membership

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:46

Errr, isn’t it a condition of being exempted under the CAMC banner that you remain a member? 🤔

Btw, as you work in the insurance industry, are you in a position to organise something to benefit yourself and your fellow CL owners?

peedee replied on 14/09/2020 20:53

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:53

There are other Clubs supporting 5 van sites. No idea of their conditions but maybe worth checking if nothing more than for comparison.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 14/09/2020 20:59

Posted on 14/09/2020 20:59

Yes, check out the list of organisations holding the right to issue exemption certificates. It’s quite considerable. 

Wherenext replied on 14/09/2020 21:01

Posted on 14/09/2020 21:01

Who says he works at the selling end or outwith of a company TW? Might be a claims handler or auditor or....whatever.

Somebody who has put quite a lot of work into organising CLs, such as the groups that have banded together for Facebook etc., would be in a better position to at least approach a trusted Insurance Broker. They would certainly need to access a vast majority of the CLs to see how many would come on board. As mentioned on the previous thread some of them would be, or are, able to integrate this into their existing arrangements, such as added on to their Farm or Fishery Insurance etc.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/09/2020 21:14

Posted on 14/09/2020 21:14

I don’t think all CL owners are Members to be honest. It’s a condition for those new providers, but we know of lots of long time CL owners who never paid membership. Not sure if that still applies, and not all CLs in handbook state “Member Owned”, so who knows🤷‍♀️

Stuh, your Club webpage price is still dated 2018. Has it altered, or is this still correct?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook