Cancelling a CL booking at short notice.

NicolaW replied on 06/09/2017 21:14

Posted on 06/09/2017 21:14

I recently posted in the last minute availability section about a member cancelling a 25 night booking on my CL two days before he was due to arrive and there has also been a tremendous amount of discussion around this subject in the CL owners group.

With this in mind I’d be interested in what Members who regularly visit CL’s think is the right practice - if and when they have to cancel a confirmed CL booking at short notice - or have to depart early during their stay.  

One award-winning CL has the following policy on their website...

"If a pre-booked stay with us is cancelled at short notice, ( "within 7 days of the pre-booked arrival date" ) or terminated prematurely during your stay without sufficient warning,   before the arranged departure date,  ("for whatever reason" and especially the weather)  we reserve the right to charge the full rate for each night of un-attendance for the pitch, for which we have made a loyal commitment in your name. Also, no refund for the period of un-attendance will be given.   

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU GIVE US PLENTY OF NOTICE  IF YOU CAN-NOT, OR DO NOT INTEND TO COME ON YOUR PRE-BOOKED DAY OF ARRIVAL.             

We do not tolerate "No Shows" as they waste our time, and most importantly they deprive our loyal clients from having time with us.     

We make a record of "No Shows" for future booking attempts, who may be asked to pay the full amount at the time of booking, or even declined."

Do CT members feel this is an extreme policy or is it a fair one? 

Is there any established Club policy surrounding last minute cancellations? If not, do you think there should be one developed by the Club?

All comments and view points most welcome! smile

Nicola
www.skybarnfarm.co.uk
Telephone: 01522 681218
Email: enquiries@skybarnfarm.co.uk
Site 365, page 402 of the 2017/2018 Sites Directory
Read our many wonderful reviews!

Tinwheeler replied on 06/09/2017 21:38

Posted on 06/09/2017 21:38

It doesn't sound too unreasonable to me, Nicola. I have two thoughts - 1) I don't think a CL owner should hold on to site fees if he/she subsequently re-lets a pitch, and 2) extracting payment is unenforceable in the case of those who have not paid upfront unless the CL owner is prepared to enter into lengthy correspondence and resort to legal action, so those are empty words.

You'll find the club's cancellation policy by following the link below. There is no financial penalty as, again, it would be unenforceable.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/useful-information/how-to-book-a-site/cancellations-and-amendments/

nelliethehooker replied on 06/09/2017 21:41

Posted on 06/09/2017 21:41

I can understand the sentiment of the policy, but do not see how they could enforce the charging of the full price for the days of un-attendance, unless they ask for the full cost of the stay before arrival. If that's the case I can see that some members will not book the site and so the owners could well loose out on potential bookings. I agree that those that cannot turn up for should supply the site owners with as much notice as possible. I don't believe that the CC has a policy on last minute cancellations apart from a "rap on the knuckles" e-mail unless it becomes a regular occurrence by a specific member.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 06/09/2017 21:48

Posted on 06/09/2017 21:48

I personally have no issue with any of it as I'd not let anyone suffer any financial hardship on my account. I happily pay up front-in full. I would expect the CL to reimburse me for any dates filled. Trust is what it's about. I do see Tinny's point about getting money from folk who let you down. To most the wording is aggressive, but to honest folk who are honourable it won't worry them.

Oneputt replied on 06/09/2017 21:55

Posted on 06/09/2017 21:55

Had to cancel at short notice (48hrs) a 2 day stay last month.  I had paid up front, didn't expect a refund and didn't get one, owner never even mentioned that they wouldn't refund.  Will I book there again, can't say for sure.  

Another occassion on a different site said they would refund 1 day and keep 1 days fee.  I will definitely stay at their site again.

PS I think the policy quoted is a bit harsh as circumstances like ill health, death, breakdowns etc are a reality in life.  Perhaps the refund should be considered on an individual basis.  I probably wouldn't visit a CL who demanded the full fee upfront.  

EmilysDad replied on 06/09/2017 22:05

Posted on 06/09/2017 21:48 by Rocky 2 buckets

I personally have no issue with any of it as I'd not let anyone suffer any financial hardship on my account. I happily pay up front-in full. I would expect the CL to reimburse me for any dates filled. Trust is what it's about. I do see Tinny's point about getting money from folk who let you down. To most the wording is aggressive, but to honest folk who are honourable it won't worry them.

Posted on 06/09/2017 22:05

. I would expect the CL to reimburse me for any dates filled....

How would you know? Having had my fingers burnt once when I lost a deposit, paid for months before hand & cancelled very soon afterwards, I just phone a CL a few days before my stay. If they're full, there'll be another nearby that's not.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 07/09/2017 07:57

Posted on 07/09/2017 07:57

That's the-'trust' bit MM. I trust folk to do the right thing as do I. If I find out I'm cheated in any way I will then not use them again. I see it as a learning curve. I've not been let down, nor have I let down others yet. I left 1 day early in 2015 at a CL, I was offered the day's cost as a refund, I declined. I've used them since-'trust'smile

Longtimecaravanner replied on 07/09/2017 08:01

Posted on 07/09/2017 08:01

When we had to cancel a week booking at 24hours notice because of a breakdown we voluntarily sent a payment of two nights fees. We felt that was adequate in view of the fact we wouldn't be using the electric etc. In cases of a longer stay being booked I don't understand why a deposit isn't taken. You would have to pay at other holiday accomodation.

peedee replied on 07/09/2017 08:02

Posted on 07/09/2017 08:02

I don't have a problem with rules pointed out by the OP but it does seem rather over the top to administer. Surely it is easier for a CL owner to charge a none refundable deposit per booking or in the case of a short stay booking, insist that it is paid for on booking.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 07/09/2017 08:49

Posted on 07/09/2017 08:49

I booked a week at a cottage through an agency -  the owner chose to let the agency handle all her bookings to avoid risk to her .   The agency procedures were very smart - payment was required in full six weeks in advance - "click here to pay by card, click here if you wish to take out insurance in case you have to cancel". I was able to decline that as I had an annual travel insurance in place. 

Metheven replied on 07/09/2017 09:05

Posted on 07/09/2017 09:05

Agree with it in principle but an aggressively worded clause like that would have me looking elsewhere anyway, not because I might not turn up but just comes across as not a very friendly site/owner.

On a personal note I am a 100% turn up customer so far, and believe once a booking is made it is my duty to fulfill it or recompense the owner.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook