Bribery for leaving good reviews

GlobalNomads replied on 07/08/2017 20:08

Posted on 07/08/2017 20:08

We stayed at a CL site just outside Exeter the other week. The reviews all said how level the pitches were, picturesque views, peaceful etc. Sounds great!

The reality was far from that! While some aspects could be argued they are subjective, like noise, picturesque views, the pitch's flatness is fact. I wanted to warn other club members that all the pitches were not level, so I left a review stating this. We have a long, single axle, fixed bed caravan and our pitch had a 10" lengthways and 4" widthways difference.

A few days later I received a text message from the CL owner who was most upset that I had expressed my accurate and honest opinion of his site. He offered me a bribe of free nights if I left a favourable review! I'm disgusted at this kind of underhand behaviour and just wondered if anyone else has experienced this type of thing? It completely compromises the concept of reviews.

I send an email of complaint to the club last week, but have heard nothing from them so far.

Navigateur replied on 07/08/2017 20:37

Posted on 07/08/2017 20:37

Seems a fair deal as he is noton the level.  Tell us where it is and there can be hundreds of us going for a free night.  I think the owner would quickly see the error.

replied on 07/08/2017 21:03

Posted on 07/08/2017 21:03

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 07/08/2017 21:21

Posted on 07/08/2017 21:21

GN, your review does seem to buck the overall trend regarding the CL, so I can to a certain extent understand the frustration of the owners. It clearly can't have been that bad, as you did stay seven nights? The only time we realised we had made a mistake with a CL, we stayed the one night and then politely left, as it was a noise issue to us, that didn't affect other users. 

Oneputt replied on 07/08/2017 21:44

Posted on 07/08/2017 21:44

Looking at the photo's doesn't indicate picturesque views, pitches seem to look in to trees and shrubs.  The owners has, IMO, committed a cardinal sin by offering you free nights.  He could have easily posted a comment via the club.

KjellNN replied on 07/08/2017 23:15

Posted on 07/08/2017 21:03 by

I would have described a pitch with the runs that the OP is reporting flat.  It is not realistic to expect snooker table flat.  

Posted on 07/08/2017 23:15

I would not!!

Vans need to be level-ish for the shower to drain, a 4 inch side to side difference is huge, and not easy to deal with either.

AlanGL7 replied on 07/08/2017 23:19

Posted on 07/08/2017 23:19

I've stayed twice on this site and the review left by GlobalNomads is most unfair. The pitches can certainly be described as level and the complaints about the standard of the WC are just plain ridiculous. One reason why we like this CL is because the access is so good. Yes you might have to take a little care when joining the main road from the access lane but its no big deal. Mark and Linda are great hosts and deserve better.

replied on 08/08/2017 08:52

Posted on 08/08/2017 08:52

I can advise that on the CC Sandringham site I had to raise offside wheel by 6'' in order to level. I suppose that in so doing I would know the answer from a practical standpoint Husky wink

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook