1932 - not up to a adequate standard

Snowman2603 replied on 19/08/2020 12:18

Posted on 19/08/2020 12:18

We have just returned for CL 1932 in Kirkbean,and feel the need to make members aware of:

1. The surface is (like a poor car park quarry waste,) rough and weed strewn a recipe for a twisted ankle or worse
2. The view was obscured by the unkept hedge
3. It was impossible to peg out the awning due to the ground
4. The electric supply to say the least is flaky and cut out
5. The water in the toilets was dangerously hot – with only a hand written note to warn of this
6. Although the entry in the caravan club handbook indicates that a shower is available, we were told that this was not so.

Moderator Edit:

Can I suggest that you consider reporting this directly to the club if you feel it doesn't meet adequate standards as it's unlikely that anybody from the relevant department of the club will see this. 

The CL has mixed reviews the latest being July of this year.  You could also leave a review which would more likely be seen by anybody looking to visit the site rather than a post on here.

Many Thanks.

tricia11 replied on 19/08/2020 12:40

Posted on 19/08/2020 12:40

Not good Snowman, thank you for the warning. Have you told the Club?.

Wherenext replied on 19/08/2020 13:14

Posted on 19/08/2020 13:14

Your post is at odds with the 4 other reviews this fairly new CL has on the clubs CL section. One of the reviewers mentions that the pitching area is on gravel as it's a car park for the museum and all of them state that the views of the Solway Firth are "stunning".

The electric situation needs to be brought to the attention of the owners/museum. It seems a newish addition. We have stayed on 2 CLs recently following the lifting of lockdown and neither had opened their toilet facilities. I do not expect anyone to do so at the moment as it must involve a lot of problems for them logistically to keep them virus free.

I think the best course of action would be to leave your review of the site on where the club ask you to and it will be up to other members to make their choice based on all reviews rather than a one off such as this.

davetommo replied on 19/08/2020 13:17

Posted on 19/08/2020 13:14 by Wherenext

Your post is at odds with the 4 other reviews this fairly new CL has on the clubs CL section. One of the reviewers mentions that the pitching area is on gravel as it's a car park for the museum and all of them state that the views of the Solway Firth are "stunning".

The electric situation needs to be brought to the attention of the owners/museum. It seems a newish addition. We have stayed on 2 CLs recently following the lifting of lockdown and neither had opened their toilet facilities. I do not expect anyone to do so at the moment as it must involve a lot of problems for them logistically to keep them virus free.

I think the best course of action would be to leave your review of the site on where the club ask you to and it will be up to other members to make their choice based on all reviews rather than a one off such as this.

Posted on 19/08/2020 13:17

I think the picture sums it up

Wherenext replied on 19/08/2020 14:04

Posted on 19/08/2020 14:04

We intend stopping in the area in September but passed this site over after reading between the lines. 

However reviews should be left under Review sections of the relevant site or CL. For a matter of balance it felt only fair to mention more favourable reviews had been left.

DavidKlyne replied on 19/08/2020 14:46

Posted on 19/08/2020 14:46

I agree that the OP should leave a review in the review section for that CL as it will be more use to those looking for a CL in that area. Whilst its quite interesting to read about it here it will soon drop down the page and out of sight. Having said that had it not been posted here I would probably be unaware of it! Unfortunately not possible to move into the review section, OP has to start again.

It looks a site that is more attractive to motorhomers because of the firm base compared to caravanners who might want to put up an awning. 

David

davetommo replied on 19/08/2020 14:47

Posted on 19/08/2020 14:47

Give this one a try

Whinneyknowe
Hightae, Lockerbie, Dumfries & Galloway, DG11 1JY

It’s in the middle of no where but nice view and peaceful and the owner is really friendly.

We stopped there one night last summer on our way home.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/08/2020 14:54

Posted on 19/08/2020 14:54

What’s the CL actually called? The number isn’t relevant except when using handbook. 

Takethedogalong replied on 19/08/2020 15:08

Posted on 19/08/2020 15:08

Found it. Looks our kind of place to be honest, superb location, something of interest actually on site, short stroll to beach, and all year hard standing. We wouldn’t be using the toilets, our electrical requirements are minimal, so it could work for us. All about the location. We were driven all over this area a few years ago in a Tour of Britain race car, and said at the time how interesting it looked!

Sorry it didn’t suit the OP, but it’s definitely of interest to us. 

SteveL replied on 19/08/2020 22:13

Posted on 19/08/2020 22:13

Looking at the CL page it looks like it is one that would suit us as well. Now having a MH, I would like the fact it is all hardstanding, even if it is a bit rough. I can't see any mention of a shower on the site page, so the fact it is mentioned in the book is obviously a mistake. There are also mistakes on the site page with earlier, out of date, information on lack of EHU and price not removed. Although further down it states EHU available. If there were issues with EHU that would not bother us. Assuming it has a drive over MH waste disposal, as stated, we would be interested. Other reviews are very positive.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/08/2020 22:22

Posted on 19/08/2020 22:22

If you ask Steve, you might be able to ditch waste water into hedgerow, often case on CLs. If we stop on one without a drive over, we tend to carry a collapsible bucket, and just empty tank daily. We don’t let pot water into tank, it’s just handwash and shower suds, so usually very clean. It does look a good location though. Perhaps as DK mentioned better for a MH than a Van. We like a bit more grass with the van. It’s certainly a lovely area.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook