Disappointing WiFi

MLJ replied on 10/06/2017 12:29

Posted on 10/06/2017 12:29

just returned from Chatsworh and Richmond sites, and really must bring to attention the very poor WiFi . both sites struggled to meet 1 mbps at any time of day. having paid £25 for the annual usage, i found this was so slow it was virtually unusable and in most instance the standard GPRS on my phone was many times faster.

I have used the Clubs WiFi for a few years and speeds have been slow but reasonable, this years experience is totally unacceptable, if we can't get decent speed, its not worth having.

Come on club lets get this sorted, if we can mange to rebrand without any bother, surely we can sort out a simple issue like WiFi

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

SteveL replied on 10/06/2017 16:00

Posted on 10/06/2017 16:00

Although I think both are silver sites and as such should have reasonable speeds, it does depend on the number of folk using it. The club does state on their wifi information page, that at popular times speeds may be limited to 1Mbps. In fact I have often found this to be the case in any event and have only rarely found speeds of 2Mbps. However, this is well above the GPRS the OP quotes. It is quite adequate for general browsing of the internet, and emails. When my phone shows GPRS I can do none of these. The lower imposed speed also has the advantage of making streaming untenable and things like face time impossible, therefore preventing a few from monopolising the bandwidth.

I am on my third £25 year and in general have found it good value for money.

DavidKlyne replied on 10/06/2017 16:17

Posted on 10/06/2017 16:17

MJL

I have removed your other posts so that we can concentrate on this one.

I have rarely found a Club site where the speed is much above 1mb. That in itself is not really really the problem, it's when it can't provide a constant connection, especially inside the van that it becomes a problem with frequent disconnections. I have just started to use a Solwise booster aerial which I found to be good at giving the constant connection I needed but it didn't really increase the speed. What is unclear is whether the Club always use a high speed connection if it is available. Last year at Minehead we didn't get a very good signal and yet when we walked to the nearby shops we passed high speed broadband cabinets, well within the reach of the Club site. I have increasingly resorted to using my phone as a hotspot and often get much better speeds and a consistent connection. I sometime wonder if in a few years time WiFi will become a thing of the past?

David

JVB66 replied on 10/06/2017 16:39

Posted on 10/06/2017 16:00 by SteveL

Although I think both are silver sites and as such should have reasonable speeds, it does depend on the number of folk using it. The club does state on their wifi information page, that at popular times speeds may be limited to 1Mbps. In fact I have often found this to be the case in any event and have only rarely found speeds of 2Mbps. However, this is well above the GPRS the OP quotes. It is quite adequate for general browsing of the internet, and emails. When my phone shows GPRS I can do none of these. The lower imposed speed also has the advantage of making streaming untenable and things like face time impossible, therefore preventing a few from monopolising the bandwidth.

I am on my third £25 year and in general have found it good value for money.

Posted on 10/06/2017 16:39

I agree,i tend to use club site internet early am or when most have gone out for the day,it gets noticeably slower the as the site fills up late afternoon,

Their is one site i know in the Cotswolds that high speed internet cable has been laid at the end of the drive,but the cost to connect to a "business" was prohibitivesurprised

SteveL replied on 23/06/2017 22:08

Posted on 23/06/2017 22:08

I have just noticed the club provide the following information on the WiFi information page, in relation to Clumber Park.

Approval has now been granted to install Wi-Fi on Clumber Park Club Site. We are now working hard with our suppliers and hope to have Wi-Fi enabled by the end of the summer.

Very good news, if it happens. It has been promised for some time now. The site really needs something, as it has no mobile service. At least with reasonable WiFi, text messaging through applications like What's App, will be possible.

jj202b replied on 01/10/2017 19:54

Posted on 23/06/2017 22:08 by SteveL

I have just noticed the club provide the following information on the WiFi information page, in relation to Clumber Park.

Approval has now been granted to install Wi-Fi on Clumber Park Club Site. We are now working hard with our suppliers and hope to have Wi-Fi enabled by the end of the summer.

Very good news, if it happens. It has been promised for some time now. The site really needs something, as it has no mobile service. At least with reasonable WiFi, text messaging through applications like What's App, will be possible.

Posted on 01/10/2017 19:54

Just back from Clumber, they have wifi but it is completely unusable. Occasionally managed to log on but could not even get emails.

replied on 01/10/2017 20:10

Posted on 01/10/2017 20:10

We were on there for 6 nights mid September. Sunday pm until Saturday morning; it was usable until around 5pm onthe Friday evening. 

brightstar2 replied on 01/10/2017 21:32

Posted on 01/10/2017 21:32

I refuse to use club wi- fi anymore -so slow it wouldn't drag a mouse out bed - so I have now invested in a little Huwei mi-fi - cost me £39 up front and £9 a month rolling contract.

Just back from Blackpool and most times I was getting 74mbs.

It's  mine - paid for and I can use it absolutely anywhere in the world.

I must have paid the club £100 over the last 4 years with approx  8 weeks useable use.

Worth considering!

replied on 01/10/2017 22:06

Posted on 01/10/2017 22:06

Now you can pay £440 over the next 4 years. wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook