Spanish trip

marley1 replied on 23/06/2023 11:15

Posted on 23/06/2023 11:15

We have a 2008 Autotrail Dakota Motorhome with a 3 litre engine.

we would like to travel to Spain through France and just wondering if anyone has any tips/ advice on these emissions etc . We have been a bit put off with the fear of getting large fines ! .

Has anyone got any advice who goes regularly in an outfit of this size please .

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section, questions should always be directed to the Discussion area, thanks

Tinwheeler replied on 24/06/2023 11:19

Posted on 24/06/2023 11:19

This is it, Marley.

Explore the pages and you’ll see what there is on offer. 👍

replied on 24/06/2023 11:40

Posted on 24/06/2023 11:40

Content has been removed.

eurortraveller replied on 24/06/2023 12:28

Posted on 24/06/2023 12:28

Marley,  Currently there are restrictions in eleven cities ( see internet tor list) Rouen is the only one possibly  on your route, but you can avoid that one and all the others.  

chasncath replied on 24/06/2023 13:04

Posted on 24/06/2023 13:04

As a veteran has been ex-motorhomer, I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about as long as you stay out of cities. Follow ET's advice. We made the journey many times in winter from Calais heading south down the A26.

I would advise using motorways as the simplest and fastest way to get across France. It's  not cheap, especially if you're over 3.5 tonnes . Plan your night stops to include fuel top up at a supermarket. If you travel on n roads your average speed will be half that on the Peage. 60 v 30

young thomas replied on 24/06/2023 13:39

Posted on 24/06/2023 13:39

Some good advice above....also you haven't said when you will be travelling nor how long you will be away....and not where in Spain (and France for that matter) that you'd like to visit or to stay.

much of how you answer the above will influence the further advice given....

travelling slowly through France when the weather is pleasant could lead to numerous stops enjoying cities and countryside...crossing France in Jan/Feb to dash to the Spanish sunshine for a three month break is a different scenario.

similarly, depending where you live, there are many options for crossing La Manche form the tunnel and the Dover ferries, to the Western Crossings to northern France or the long hops to Bilbao or Santander.

then theres the different costs and timescales that each bring...there is no one answer but fill in a few blanks and you'll get tons of great advice and guidance.

good luck.

replied on 24/06/2023 13:45

Posted on 24/06/2023 13:45

Content has been removed.

peedee replied on 24/06/2023 13:59

Posted on 24/06/2023 13:59

If it is just the worry of straying into a LEZ, why not buy the French Crit Air sticker for your vehicle. It costs about 5 euros from the French government web site and is valid for the life of the vehicle. I believe it is also accepted in Spain. There are also web sites and Apps which will give you information about the LEZs across the whole of Europe.

You can order your French sticker >here<

peedee

peedee replied on 24/06/2023 14:08

Posted on 24/06/2023 14:08

As a veteran has been ex-motorhomer, I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about as long as you stay out of cities. Follow ET's advice. We made the journey many times in winter from Calais heading south down the A26.

Trouble is Chasncath, more zones are being added all the time including autoroute stretches and they are becoming more and more difficult to avoid. It is much easier to buy a sticker and be done with it. I have both the French and German stickers and on my last trip the German one proved valuable because I had to enter Stuttgart for a repair at the IVECO agent who was in the LEZ.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook