It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

SteveL replied on 30/08/2021 07:51

Posted on 30/08/2021 07:42 by peedee

There is a precedence, Black Horse Farm has and areas set aside for those using the ferries and tunnel. Dosen't Rookesbury Park have a similar area? It is common on the continent to have a smaller area set aside, not exclusively, but more usually for motorhomes. I guess that is for similar reasons to what the OP describes?

peedee

Posted on 30/08/2021 07:51

Admittedly it was a few years ago but when we used the ferry pitches at BHF there were loads of caravans using them, although that might vary with time of year. Personally I think there is a huge difference to what TTCA is suggesting. The ferry pitches are just that, for the use of everyone catching or coming from a ferry and isolated so as not to cause inconvenience to longer stay members. As to over there, I would assume that isn’t a club site where folk pay a membership.

peedee replied on 30/08/2021 07:57

Posted on 30/08/2021 07:57

so as not to cause inconvenience to longer stay members.

Isn't that what the OP is suggesting! My point is it could be done if it was felt necessary.

peedee

SteveL replied on 30/08/2021 08:05

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:05

Not how I read the post, they are particularly referring to MH as being the short stayers and wanting separate areas. As I put in an earlier post, whilst not agreeing, I could see some logic in a short stay area, but separate areas just don’t make sense.

replied on 30/08/2021 08:06

Posted on 30/08/2021 07:57 by peedee

so as not to cause inconvenience to longer stay members.

Isn't that what the OP is suggesting! My point is it could be done if it was felt necessary.

peedee

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:06

Very different situation. The OP can't get the booking he wants because it is booked. Doesn't matter which one it might have been

replied on 30/08/2021 08:08

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:05 by SteveL

Not how I read the post, they are particularly referring to MH as being the short stayers and wanting separate areas. As I put in an earlier post, whilst not agreeing, I could see some logic in a short stay area, but separate areas just don’t make sense.

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:08

I cannot see any logic in specific short stay areas. Merely limits pitch choice

SteveL replied on 30/08/2021 08:13

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:08 by

I cannot see any logic in specific short stay areas. Merely limits pitch choice

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:13

Indeed it would, and as I put I don’t agree with it. However, if they were available to everyone, it would at least be a fair system. It wouldn’t help TTCA though, that can just be put down to lack of planning.

replied on 30/08/2021 08:20

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:20

The Difference at BHF is also very different with pitches in the ferry users area being vacated at unsociable hours

eurortraveller replied on 30/08/2021 08:27

Posted on 29/08/2021 22:34 by takethecatalong

I have another issue I tried ivain to bock 7 or 10 consecutive nights at several club sites only to find intermittent days this was never the case several years ago when we were just caravan club   now we are getting out numbered by campervans that only stay2 or 3 nights and making it more and more difficult to get  7 or 10 consecutive nights  I think it is about time we had designated area  campervan only and caravans only with a limited number of pitches for 2 or 3 or 4 night stays if not a 40 year caravanner will leave my beloved club 

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:27

Which problem are you trying to answer?  There are 78 Club sites across the network where you can book a full week starting today. 

JVB66 replied on 30/08/2021 08:42

Posted on 29/08/2021 22:34 by takethecatalong

I have another issue I tried ivain to bock 7 or 10 consecutive nights at several club sites only to find intermittent days this was never the case several years ago when we were just caravan club   now we are getting out numbered by campervans that only stay2 or 3 nights and making it more and more difficult to get  7 or 10 consecutive nights  I think it is about time we had designated area  campervan only and caravans only with a limited number of pitches for 2 or 3 or 4 night stays if not a 40 year caravanner will leave my beloved club 

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:42

The situation now is that there are even more LV users chasing not enough, at times, pitches

It is not  very different as far as pitch use, with the growth in motor caravan use, many it seems are used as a replacement for a caravan, without towing

If noted, even before more motor caravans became the must have item ,pitch use was basically the same with caravans , and off peak to fill pitches mid week discounts were introduced as noticed on sites that have them the influx of LVs on a Monday to leave after a few days 

Then there are those who say that weekends a block booked that the club it seems can find no evidence

Weekends are,   especially at school holiday periods. filled by Sat to Sat families  In the summer long distance travellers may well book a Friday night to break the journey, and a Saturday night on their return

cyberyacht replied on 30/08/2021 08:49

Posted on 30/08/2021 08:49

It would seem from this discourse that there is actually a need for an aire type setup which would be non-bookable for casual one-nighters.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook