Payment of balance

jeben replied on 22/09/2023 19:49

Posted on 22/09/2023 19:49

How is it when arriving at site the balance due for pitch has been paid using the card I used to pay deposit?

this must mean they have my card details saved without any authorisation and automatically presume this is how I would pay balance 

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Arch replied on 23/09/2023 08:51

Posted on 23/09/2023 08:51

I always pay the balance on arrival, there is a payment option box to tick when making the the booking, check its still payment on arrival before confirming your booking and it will also say on your booking confirmation balance of payment is due on arrival, now that deposits are required you do need to read and check the details of your booking.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/09/2023 10:12

Posted on 23/09/2023 10:12

I think if you agree, even if unwittingly, by not unticking the box, the deposit and final payment are treated as a single, two stage, transaction. The details won't be held by the Club but by whatever payment company the Club uses to process payments, an example would be WorldPay which you have probably seen on other online transactions. If you don't wish to pay until arrival you must make sure you untick the payment box as the last thing you do before confirming booking. Personally I don't mind the automatic second half of the payment as we are used to it with the C&CC where there is no choice. I accept the Club could make it a bit clearer by offering a choice of two boxes to tick one for automatic payment and one for payment on arrival. I suppose it depends on how much feedback they get with people being dissatisfied with the system?

David

JollyKernow replied on 23/09/2023 19:00

Posted on 22/09/2023 19:49 by jeben

How is it when arriving at site the balance due for pitch has been paid using the card I used to pay deposit?

this must mean they have my card details saved without any authorisation and automatically presume this is how I would pay balance 

Moderator Comment - Moved from the Story Section

Posted on 23/09/2023 19:00

Evening

Just before you click on the payment button you have to click the box that says you accept the terms and conditions of the booking. Then at payment there is as mentioned above a box you have to untick if you'd like to pay on arrival. You've already ticked the t's & c's box before you arrive at payment so I'd have thought anyone parting with money would take the time to go through them. Might be long winded and wordy but what t's &c's aren't? You only have to read them once. Why not also read the club's privacy policy? That will tell you exactly what the club does /can do with your data.

It's a legal requirement to have terms and conditions and a privacy policy available to view.

JK

young thomas replied on 23/09/2023 20:37

Posted on 23/09/2023 20:37

Just a question....

if you arrive on the day, no booking, is the payment just one 'transaction'...ie is there no deposit and no balance, just one single 'payment'?

there's a reason for my question.... we have a site voucher but the voucher isn't valid (apparently) for the 'deposit'...im looking to book on the day out of season and not actually have the need for a 'deposit' per se...

JollyKernow replied on 23/09/2023 22:28

Posted on 23/09/2023 20:37 by young thomas

Just a question....

if you arrive on the day, no booking, is the payment just one 'transaction'...ie is there no deposit and no balance, just one single 'payment'?

there's a reason for my question.... we have a site voucher but the voucher isn't valid (apparently) for the 'deposit'...im looking to book on the day out of season and not actually have the need for a 'deposit' per se...

Posted on 23/09/2023 22:28

Evening

It's correct you can't use a voucher for a deposit but if you book and opt to pay on arrival the deposit can be refunded on site and the voucher used for the full amount, or as you say just turn up and pay the whole fee on arrival. Digital vouchers can be split down in their use ie if you have £100 voucher you don't have to use it in one go.

If you do a dummy booking anywhere it will show you availability on the day, if there's room just turn up and the site will do your booking on arrival.

Hope that makes sensewink

JK

AKDL replied on 11/10/2023 14:27

Posted on 11/10/2023 14:27

I have just arrived on site, with a voucher in hand to pay towards the balance.

The warden told me it was fully paid for. I said no, I selected option not to fully pay the night before. It took the money anyway.

I know that I set the option to not take payment the night before, I always do, my adult son checks it, I also screen shotted it. (Didn’t bring that with me unfortunately!)

Yet it seems that the club can change my option and take the money anyway.

The warden was great, said she can refund the voucher onto my credit card, and suggested in future ringing the site direct to make a booking, as they can only take the deposit.

To say that I am fuming is the understatement of the year. To the point where after 26yrs, I am thinking of leaving the club.

Can someone from the club please explain to me why when I have selected no prepayment, you take it anyway?

No wonder members are not using sites.

We are on a site that used to be full all the time, I think it is 20% full at moment. We would normally have booked the full week, but stayed elsewhere for last 5 nights as was much cheaper and they have no underhand payment tactics.

Moderator Edit:

If you need a direct and official response from the club then I recommend that you contact them directly as club staff members don't tend to post on this forum other than perhaps site managers who do so to be helpful to members.

DavidKlyne replied on 11/10/2023 15:17

Posted on 11/10/2023 15:17

AKDL

There seems to be a flaw in the system (which I have pointed out to the Club) whereby even if you agree to pay in advance the paperwork still informs you that you pay arrival! The only way to avoid this is to make sure you un-tick the advance payment box as the last thing you do before accepting the booking. As you discovered the site staff can refund the value of any voucher so all is not lost fortunately. 

I appreciate that until the Club changed its system last year T&C's were very generous and even now they are more generous than most with even the C&CC not giving an option other than to pay the day of arrival in advance. No option to pay in person. Most commercial site demand full payment weeks in advance! Not a frequent user of CL's so can't really comment.

David

young thomas replied on 12/10/2023 08:48

Posted on 12/10/2023 08:48

notwithstanding the 'issue' of unticking/re-untick to pay box, would be so simple would be for the system to allow customers (the ones who use and pay for sites...) to select a 'do you have a voucher' box where either deposit only or full amount can be credited against a voucher.

so many other retail organisations have the option to apply vouchers and gift cards during online purchases...if you're selling gift cards then make it easy for customers to redeem them.

Ive just been through the above process where I had to pay a deposit on a card then to try and pay the balance in the office with the voucher. I also wanted to pay the deposit from the voucher so this had to be 'unpicked' and reprocessed then the deposit I'd already paid via card had to be refunded to that card, phew!

all done by helpful warden but it could have been so much easier if 'pay full amount' had allowed 'do you have a voucher' option.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook