Towcar of the Year 2021

RowenaBCAMC replied on 08/12/2020 14:30

Posted on 08/12/2020 14:30

The results are in! Forty vehicles for towing have been evaluated by a panel of industry respected judges.

We're excited to announce the Caravan and Motorhome Club Towcar of the Year 2021 is the ŠKODA Superb Estate SE L Executive 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG.

Find out more about what made the ŠKODA our overall winner and see all class winners on our website: www.caravanclub.co.uk/towcar

EmilysDad replied on 09/12/2020 08:42

Posted on 09/12/2020 08:42

@Flatcoat. Many people have & do tow with FWD. I just don't like the general understeer of FWD and have only ever owned a FWD as a general run-about, never my 'proper car'. I've frequently seen FWD vehicles starting off on the modest incline on the approach to Burrs scrabbling to get traction. 😎

JVB66 replied on 09/12/2020 09:30

Posted on 09/12/2020 09:30

Not that we seem to get any real snow south of Watford gap now,but as noted when any where gets snow or soft ground it is far better having a front wheel drive vehicle (and even better with traction control/hill start) than being stuck behind a rear wheel drive "fish tailing"surprised

Lutz replied on 09/12/2020 09:33

Posted on 09/12/2020 09:33

I wonder who attaches any importance to such an award. Depending on prevailing conditions, everybody has got their own criteria for choosing a particular towcar. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Rufs replied on 09/12/2020 10:18

Posted on 08/12/2020 22:50 by

I find an estate is great for carrying all the kit that the payload of caravans doesnt allow and I often wonder how folk with dog cages in the back  manage

Posted on 09/12/2020 10:18

very easily.....fido in boot, with table top BBQ, rear seat back raked towards the rear, on rear seat/between seats, we get, awning (heaviest piece of equipment we carry, approx 20kgs, so good place for it), 2 folding chairs, 1 table, 2 x groundsheets, 1 x windbreak, our coats and wellies, just in case, rest goes into caravan, we do have a 5 berth so no problems with weight in caravan for 2 people, dam good car Sorento with loads of space, you should know. undecidedWe do have a roof box but seldom use it, travelling at 60 mph generates a lot of wind noise.  

Rufs replied on 09/12/2020 10:27

Posted on 09/12/2020 09:30 by JVB66

Not that we seem to get any real snow south of Watford gap now,but as noted when any where gets snow or soft ground it is far better having a front wheel drive vehicle (and even better with traction control/hill start) than being stuck behind a rear wheel drive "fish tailing"surprised

Posted on 09/12/2020 10:27

our next door neighbour when we lived in Scotland, in the outback, had a BMW 3 series, used to put it into hibernation when the snow and ice came, was a complete nightmare trying to get up a very narrow icy track.cool

replied on 09/12/2020 11:01

Posted on 09/12/2020 09:33 by Lutz

I wonder who attaches any importance to such an award. Depending on prevailing conditions, everybody has got their own criteria for choosing a particular towcar. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Posted on 09/12/2020 11:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2020 12:23

Posted on 09/12/2020 09:33 by Lutz

Posted on 09/12/2020 12:23

I think we have to remember that not everyone is a car "enthusiast" so they don't always follow the usual motoring press/online forums places where they would get the information they need? They are, however, more likely to get their information from the clubs and Caravanning magazines I would suggest. TCOY is only a snapshot of what is available from those cars offered up by manufacturers. The uninitiated might well come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that if a particular car is not offered to the competition it might not be any good as a towcar? Perhaps the usefulness of TCOY is not the cars that win but the ones that don't? Just glad I don't need to bother about towcars anymore!!!

David

Lutz replied on 09/12/2020 13:05

Posted on 09/12/2020 13:05

If the car is only going to be used occasionally to tow the caravan, say two or three times a year, will play a significant role in a purchasing decision. I had a dedicated towcar once for a couple of years. It was great for that purpose, but then, when I disposed of the second car, it proved to be totally unsuitable to take on the job as a means of transport on a daily basis as well. For that it was far too big and the running costs for all the miles driven solo were completely unjustifiable. I don't think that such considerations are adequately taken into account in any award.

One must also bear in mind that only cars submitted for the award can be taken into account. Others, not submitted, may be a lot better so it's still up to the customer to do his homework before a purchase.

flatcoat replied on 09/12/2020 13:27

Posted on 09/12/2020 13:27

Everyone has differing needs and budgets so such ‘awards’ can at best only be a guide of what might be worth considering. Look how many COTY winners in the past have bombed in the showrooms... In pure terms rear or AWD will or should provide the best driving dynamics and traction. In practice a friend of ours found his 3 series estate rubbish at towing and much preferred his previous Passat. I found the FL2 a good tow car but cr8p build, fit, finish, reliability. Pre caravanning days the MG ZT i had was simply a superb handling car, far far better than anything else FWD at the time but still no match for my 944turbo. Current Volvo towcar has not (to the best of my knowledge) been awarded any towing awards, previous Passat Alltrack did. The Volvo is turning out to be a better towcar (except for boot volume) for me than the Passat on almost all measures. However a car with good driving dynamics will also be inherently safer irrespective of the owners interest in such matters. In the end we pays our money and takes our choice.... 

Takethedogalong replied on 09/12/2020 13:55

Posted on 09/12/2020 13:55

Having spent a day in a Skoda Superb following Tour of Britain all over Lake District and Dumfries and Galloway, up hill and down dale, I can confirm they are a nice, bland, comfortable ride for following a bike race. Towing a van? Havent got a clue.

We have only once towed with a conventional car. A very nice and powerful Rover. It survived, but only just around our hills. Give me a proper gutsy LR, Jeep or big 4x4 everytime for towing. Plenty of room for dogs as well......

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook