Discovery Sport experience

ktansdell replied on 07/12/2017 19:19

Posted on 07/12/2017 19:19

New to caravanning, I am trying to decide which used 4x4 tow car to buy to pull a MTPLM 1439kg caravan.  I have read all the bad press about the Discovery Sport 2.2 L (reliability, electronics, build, etc.).  Can any members please share their experiences of the new Discovery 2.0L (SE Tech or HSE) to help me - good and bad.  It seems to be much better on economy and I am hoping that LR have sorted the electronics issues with the new version? (from Sep 2105).  Many thanks in anticipation.

dwlgll20 replied on 07/12/2017 21:02

Posted on 07/12/2017 21:02

Been towing with a MY17 HSE 180 this year with the 2.0 engine. Overall very impressed a great tow car.

Tow bar fitting, this isn’t as straight forward as it seems. If you need to get a tow bar fitted and have the 7 seater it can get expensive as extra parts may be needed. The exhaust system differs between the 5 and 7 seater which is further impacted upon if it has a underslung spare or inside spare (as standard it comes with an inflation kit). It’s worth getting some quotes, but make sure the fitters give the quote on your exact model. We’ve got the factory fitted heavy duty electronic tow bar with the tow pack which is great.

Just some things to check out:
B Pillar rattle which if you get requires extensive work.
Oil dilution, pre June 2017 vehicles which have the service plan get free extra oil changes for the first five years. If used check it has the service plan otherwise it can get expensive. Check the in built computer which will show when next oil service is due.
MPG nothing like Land Rover say, I’m getting on normal drives 40 (ish) mpg with towing a 1550kg van and lots in the car around 30mpg
Small fuel tank, because of AdBlue tank?
Poor in built sat nav (it loves B and narrow country roads, well it is a Land Rover). 

ktansdell replied on 07/12/2017 21:12

Posted on 07/12/2017 21:12

Thanks dwlgll20.  Food for thought. I had already been quoted about £1,200 for a LR dealer to fit a towbar. Ouch. And I’ll look for remaining service plans. 

bill replied on 08/12/2017 08:35

Posted on 08/12/2017 08:35

If you go for the 2.0L engine, available from 2016, ensure that you get the 180 bhp version as the smaller power engine just does not tow well.

Always prefer automatic gearboxes on LR's.

stephen p replied on 08/12/2017 20:31

Posted on 07/12/2017 19:19 by ktansdell

New to caravanning, I am trying to decide which used 4x4 tow car to buy to pull a MTPLM 1439kg caravan.  I have read all the bad press about the Discovery Sport 2.2 L (reliability, electronics, build, etc.).  Can any members please share their experiences of the new Discovery 2.0L (SE Tech or HSE) to help me - good and bad.  It seems to be much better on economy and I am hoping that LR have sorted the electronics issues with the new version? (from Sep 2105).  Many thanks in anticipation.

Posted on 08/12/2017 20:31

It may well be 2105 wink

MikeinaVan replied on 09/12/2017 15:15

Posted on 09/12/2017 15:15

Just to add something on towbars.

Recently bought a low mileage (prob ex demonstrator) 2017 Disco Sport.

Being old fashioned I definitely wanted a spare wheel. Some come with it, some do not. If a spare is supplied from the factory the exhaust layout is different, meaning it would be hard (and expensive!) to fit a spare later.

Having the spare limits what towbars will fit. Genuine LR will not as far as I can tell unless you have the one with a sticky-out lump on the back.

Two I found did fit OK and I went for one made by tow-trust.  That needs a small bumper cut but not obtrusive and most of the cutaway is in the small clip on rear panel so not horrendously expensive if you slip.

Fitting is relatively straightforward but a bit worrying as all the rear bumper has to come off.  If you have fitted a towbar before you will be OK. You will need an 18mm socket (pref 6 sided) and a LONG bar to undo 2 bolts that hold the towing eye on, These are done up very VERY tight.

Wiring is childsplay - just plugs in.

If you look round https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/ you will find links to youtube videos of a towbar being removed and installed. That shows a car with no spare wheel but apart from the exhaust being different the process is the same.

Tows our Abbey GTS 215 (1450kg) with little effort which is what I would expect.

Oil dilution from DPF issues is the only concern I have - time will tell on that one.

Mike

Cornersteady replied on 09/12/2017 16:00

Posted on 09/12/2017 16:00

just off topic but we looked at the Discovery Sport but chose the Kia Sorrento. This daily Telegraph review might be of interest : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AijVPpqlOtc

Basically buy a Kia with your head, a Sport with your heart.

The Kia's longer warranty (and more toys per £) together with biggest towing limit and Kia Volvo being this year most reliable makes according to JD power made us go with the Kia:

The brands that have topped the reliability chart this year are Kia, Volvo and Skoda, while Land Rover, Audi and BMW occupy the bottom three places https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/most-reliable-cars-0493

also the Sorrento's almost twin sister the Santa Fe comes with a substantial  (up to £6000) saving using the club's offer see 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/member-offers/Hyundai/

Which ever car you buy have you looked at the carwow website?

ktansdell replied on 09/12/2017 17:02

Posted on 09/12/2017 17:02

Many thanks for all the posts. It looks to me that when it comes to towcars, if you base a buying decision on looks, comfort, reliability and price, nothing scores highly on all four! Land Rover on the first two and Kia or Hyundai on the last two! What a nightmare. I thought choosing the caravan would be the hardest bit! 😉

davetommo replied on 09/12/2017 20:05

Posted on 08/12/2017 08:35 by bill

If you go for the 2.0L engine, available from 2016, ensure that you get the 180 bhp version as the smaller power engine just does not tow well.

Always prefer automatic gearboxes on LR's.

Posted on 09/12/2017 20:05

I have the 150 bhp engine, it tows like a dream

allanandjean replied on 12/12/2017 10:51

Posted on 12/12/2017 10:51

In regard to carwow would also recommend that you take a look, I have posted re this before,as they can supply new, to order, or stock cars.

With no idea of your budget can't say if they will be able to get near secondhand prices but my new Q5 was less than my nearest dealer was asking for a s/h model with a lower spec.

We knew what car the and minimum spec we wanted so it was just a case of getting the best deal.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook