Recovery company assistance please

armourer replied on 01/09/2020 20:18

Posted on 01/09/2020 20:18

was a member of the AA relay for 30 yr today but cancelled when i found out my caravan has to attached to my tow car if it has to be recovered

ie  caravan on campsite and we go out for a day the tow car breaks down and needs to be relayed to my home address the caravan is not attached

so is not recovered

does any of the other companies cover the caravan when not attached ??

Tinwheeler replied on 01/09/2020 21:39

Posted on 01/09/2020 21:30 by armourer

nothing on there about what im asking

but thanks

Posted on 01/09/2020 21:39

You've been given clues but you need to go to the websites of the providers and check them out for yourself. 👍🏻

forsythia replied on 01/09/2020 21:43

Posted on 01/09/2020 21:43

The £105 yearly fee for Green Flag cannot be beaten for service in our opinion. A few years back we had to make use of this, staying at one site our car broke down whilst out we called them sent out low loader and took the car and ourselves to our site. But the next day we were moving to another site, so they sent low loader back and took car and husband to the nearest garage to our second site for repair, then came with another vehicle to tow our caravan and myself to our second site. We found the service invaluable and have continued with them ever since.

EmilysDad replied on 01/09/2020 22:15

Posted on 01/09/2020 20:18 by armourer

was a member of the AA relay for 30 yr today but cancelled when i found out my caravan has to attached to my tow car if it has to be recovered

ie  caravan on campsite and we go out for a day the tow car breaks down and needs to be relayed to my home address the caravan is not attached

so is not recovered

Posted on 01/09/2020 22:15

... does any of the other companies cover the caravan when not attached ??

May Day through the Caravan Club ☺

You also need to be aware that when the cheap recovery companies say that your caravan/trailer is covered, it'll only be recovered ifvthe fault is with the tow car & not if the fault is on the Caravan.

eurortraveller replied on 02/09/2020 08:42

Posted on 01/09/2020 20:18 by armourer

so is not recovered

Posted on 02/09/2020 08:42

In the situation you describe about a breakdown when out for the day a breakdown company will take you back to the caravan to stay there while the car is being repaired at a local garage. 

allanandjean replied on 02/09/2020 09:11

Posted on 02/09/2020 09:11

A few years back there was a similar thread and as I was looking into cover at the time decided to confirm the situation where the car was remote from the van and had a breakdown.

Initially I had app 14 companies that offered cover. Then looking at the max van length they would recover, tow ball size etc, reduced this to app 6.

I contacted all of them by phone and only 2 confirmed, in writing, that they would recover the car AND van if at the time of breakdown they were not together.

These were Red Penant and Safeguard and I chose Safeguard, on cost, but have since decide that a combination of the manufacturers recovery service, which includes vans of my vans size, and my travel insurance is adequate.

Ray Gill Dino replied on 02/09/2020 13:32

Posted on 02/09/2020 13:32

Last year we broke down whilst out on the car AA called as per warranty on car,they were unable to repair so arranged to relay car to campsite and return next day when we had packed up and related us home. Car and caravan placed on drive then AS returned the next day to transport car to dealer's. Couldn't fault service at all.

wink

replied on 02/09/2020 14:30

Posted on 02/09/2020 08:42 by eurortraveller

In the situation you describe about a breakdown when out for the day a breakdown company will take you back to the caravan to stay there while the car is being repaired at a local garage. 

Posted on 02/09/2020 14:30

And in the case of serious accident damage making the car a write off or if, due to the age of the car the repair is uneconomical what do they do then? 

If on route to a hotel with the car to meet friends then, depending on chosen cover will all transport you there and collect later? If in a motorhome I suspect that many have arrangements for your accommodation costs at a hotel etc depending on cover.

eurortraveller replied on 02/09/2020 15:29

Posted on 02/09/2020 14:30 by

And in the case of serious accident damage making the car a write off or if, due to the age of the car the repair is uneconomical what do they do then? 

If on route to a hotel with the car to meet friends then, depending on chosen cover will all transport you there and collect later? If in a motorhome I suspect that many have arrangements for your accommodation costs at a hotel etc depending on cover.

Posted on 02/09/2020 15:29

Serious accident damage making the car a write off is a matter for regular car insurance, not for breakdown insurance .

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook