Be Prepared as Essex Police stop Caravans on A12

The Bridges replied on 03/05/2017 23:54

Posted on 03/05/2017 23:54

ALMOST 40 drivers have been stopped during a roads policing operation in Chelmsford targeting vehicles towing caravans and trailers.

Officers were stopping vehicles at the Boreham Interchange at Junction 19 on the A12.

In total 39 vehicles were stopped during the operation including 13 towing trailers, 19 towing caravans, two vans and three cars.

Of the vehicles towing caravans or trailers, 12 were found to have faults.

Four of those had either incorrectly fitted or no breakaway cables fitted at all. £50 fines were given and immediate prohibitions put in place on the trailers until a cable was fitted.

Some of the tyres fitted were over the recommended five years and leaflets and advice were given about changing these as soon as possible.

Five vehicles towing caravans or trailers were found to have no extendable mirrors fitted and were fine £50.

The drivers were found to be driving otherwise in accordance with their licence, fined £100 and given three points on their licence.

Four drivers were dealt with for using mobile phone behind the wheel.

Three fines of £100 were given out to drivers for index plate offences on trailers.

One van was also found to be over its allowed 3.5 tonne weight limit and the driver was fined a total of £300.

Pc Gary Winfield, of Essex Police’s Casualty Reduction Unit, said: “This was a successful operation, helping to keep Essex’s roads safe.

“Whilst these appear relatively small issues they still pose a risk.

“Any defect of a car, any caravan or trailer not attached properly, or any vehicle overweight could potentially pose a danger other road users.

“This operation highlights that Essex Police is determined to tackle these issues and anyone flouting the law will be dealt with.

“Road traffic collisions can have a devastating impact on those affected and we all have a responsibility to keep the county’s roads safe.”

tigerfish replied on 04/05/2017 00:48

Posted on 04/05/2017 00:48

There's not really any answer to this. The Law is the Law!

What idiot thinks that its OK to tow without a breakaway cable fitted?

Why did someone think that it was OK for him/her to tow without extension mirrors fitted?

Those driving without proper licences were just taking a chance!

The use of mobile phones at the wheel should result in an instant ban!

The driver over the 3.5 tonne weight limit must have known that he was pushing it!

I change my tyres religiously at 5 years, and earlier if I have any concerns about their integrity.  Safety is not something to be gambled with!

Sadly earlier in my Caravanning life I was also a Police Traffic officer called upon to deal with the result of far to many of these problems.  I took the trouble to try to look at the root cause of many of the accidents that i dealt with.  Many had the factors listed above incorporated in the causal factors. Tyre age was a common one.

So too was overtaking or excessive speed down hill, poorly and unevenly inflated tyres, Poorly and over loaded vans. Mis matched cars & caravans.

The towing of caravans is a bit like marriage, not to be entered into wantonly, carelessly and without a great deal of thought.  If planned properly the marriage can last a long time, and be very fruitful.

Ive been married 48 years now, and caravanned for 40 of them!  Trying to make 50 of the former!

TF

TF

Extugger replied on 04/05/2017 07:07

Posted on 04/05/2017 07:07

Ditto

Totally agree with all the above. IMHO, the fines should be much, much heavier too. Surely towing a caravan without extendable mirrors, or without a breakaway cable is driving without due care and attention?

We've all seen family saloons driving in the opposite direction on the M6 towing a twin-axle with the rear end of the car virtually touching the tarmac. It's nearly as stupid as using a mobile phone whilst driving.

Hopefully the Police and VOSA will step up their efforts this year in a more coordinated and widespread policy to rid the roads of the idiots. Those who do take the trouble to be legal and safe will then, hopefully, not have to endure 7 or 8 hour tailbacks, caused by the aforementioned.

EmilysDad replied on 04/05/2017 07:56

Posted on 04/05/2017 07:56

're break-away cables. The term used was missing or incorrectly fitted cable ...... we have various opinions on the gorum of how it should or shouldn't be fitted. 

And 5 plus year old tyres can only be advisory.

And the rules 're thev3.5 tonne limit for newer drivers could be clearer otherwise people wouldn't be asking about 'towing licences' when there's no such thing.

Oneputt replied on 04/05/2017 08:24

Posted on 04/05/2017 08:24

Isn't this a repeat of a story a few weeks ago?

I can see the subject of trailer MOT's coming to the fore again

triky auto replied on 04/05/2017 08:37

Posted on 04/05/2017 08:37

surprised Oh !! You should see some of the decrepid trailers that arrive at the boatyard ,with boats on them !!  !! Breakaway cables ?? some hope !! Brakes ?? some hope !! lighting boards ?? ??  ??  yell.

Milothedog replied on 04/05/2017 09:10

Posted on 04/05/2017 09:10

Tyers are an interesting topic.

How many owners be it  Car, Caravan, Motorhome etc understand about date codes and know how to read them.  I would suggest a very small percentage.

I would also suggest that most drivers, when they have new tyres fitted, just pay the bill and assume what they have paid for are new as in recently manufactured, with cars it's probably the case but in the case of caravan tyres that are not really high volume fast moving parts. For instance, lets say a major caravan service centre buy's in a stock of popular sizes and the more they buy the bigger the discount they get so make more markup on them. They may have had them in stock for 18 months before they are fitted to your caravan and they may have already been a year old when the caravan dealer bought them from their supplier.  

Food for thought surprised 

Milothedog replied on 04/05/2017 09:16

Posted on 04/05/2017 08:24 by Oneputt

Isn't this a repeat of a story a few weeks ago?

I can see the subject of trailer MOT's coming to the fore again

Posted on 04/05/2017 09:16

Unlikely I think.

Not official yet, but will be announced after the general election and implemented in may 2018.

Cars built before 1977 will be exempted for the MOT test, at the moment it only applies to pre 1960 .

There is also talk of new cars being extended to 4 years for the first test.

EmilysDad replied on 04/05/2017 09:48

Posted on 04/05/2017 09:10 by Milothedog

Tyers are an interesting topic.

How many owners be it  Car, Caravan, Motorhome etc understand about date codes and know how to read them.  I would suggest a very small percentage.

I would also suggest that most drivers, when they have new tyres fitted, just pay the bill and assume what they have paid for are new as in recently manufactured, with cars it's probably the case but in the case of caravan tyres that are not really high volume fast moving parts. For instance, lets say a major caravan service centre buy's in a stock of popular sizes and the more they buy the bigger the discount they get so make more markup on them. They may have had them in stock for 18 months before they are fitted to your caravan and they may have already been a year old when the caravan dealer bought them from their supplier.  

Food for thought surprised 

Posted on 04/05/2017 09:48

But when fitted to a car, tyres will likely be worn out before you need to think about how old it is. A tyre sat around at Michelin/Pirelli etc will have been stored correctly, and the date fitted will have as much significance as the date manufactured.

EmilysDad replied on 04/05/2017 09:57

Posted on 04/05/2017 07:07 by Extugger

Ditto

Totally agree with all the above. IMHO, the fines should be much, much heavier too. Surely towing a caravan without extendable mirrors, or without a breakaway cable is driving without due care and attention?

We've all seen family saloons driving in the opposite direction on the M6 towing a twin-axle with the rear end of the car virtually touching the tarmac. It's nearly as stupid as using a mobile phone whilst driving.

Hopefully the Police and VOSA will step up their efforts this year in a more coordinated and widespread policy to rid the roads of the idiots. Those who do take the trouble to be legal and safe will then, hopefully, not have to endure 7 or 8 hour tailbacks, caused by the aforementioned.

Posted on 04/05/2017 09:57

Plod and VOSA are to be commended for the excersie, but I wonder how many caravaning 'idiots' are to be blamed for scattering their caravan across 3 lanes of a motorway. Last time out with the caravan we were very nearly taken out by a Mercedes Sprinter van driver trying to retrieve sonething from his passenger foot well. Trouble was, as he leaned over, he turned the steering wheel too. He came within a couple of feet of us despite me brakihg hard & swerving. It pays sometimes to have a large 4x4 as a tow car.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook