Satellite TV

George and Dawn replied on 27/06/2020 15:28

Posted on 27/06/2020 15:28

Ok as i am wading into another mine field I feel.

I need to purchase a TV.

We intend travelling into Europe at times

Whats going to be the best set up, I would like something automated. I dont want to be watching TV while my wife is standing on the car roof on one leg because it gets the best picture ?

(it will be me up there to be honest)

So a system that we can switch on and it does all the searching for us, without having to read 15 chapters of fast set up directions.

So good set up that is user friendly and more than adequate viewing for them bad weather nights,if possible a prefixed Ariel or receiver too.

Any ideas to point me in the right direction

ocsid replied on 27/06/2020 16:37

Posted on 27/06/2020 16:37

If the "dream" is to be receiving UK main channels via satellite technology then that depends where in Europe you are going to be, compounded by the dish size that is viable on an automatic system suitable for a caravan.

Basically if North of the Loire you will be okay, south it starts becoming more challenging.

To get the ever weakening UK channels signal as we go south  needs an ever increasing dish size, and or good weather. The trouble is auto systems tend to have restrains on the dish size, the more so if we have a caravan with its rather delicate roof structure.

Where are you thinking you "need" UK satellite TV in Europe, that's key to the validity of the answer?

George and Dawn replied on 27/06/2020 17:54

Posted on 27/06/2020 16:37 by ocsid

If the "dream" is to be receiving UK main channels via satellite technology then that depends where in Europe you are going to be, compounded by the dish size that is viable on an automatic system suitable for a caravan.

Basically if North of the Loire you will be okay, south it starts becoming more challenging.

To get the ever weakening UK channels signal as we go south  needs an ever increasing dish size, and or good weather. The trouble is auto systems tend to have restrains on the dish size, the more so if we have a caravan with its rather delicate roof structure.

Where are you thinking you "need" UK satellite TV in Europe, that's key to the validity of the answer?

Posted on 27/06/2020 17:54

UK tv is not a priority 

Just English speaking

Maybe film channel  ect 

replied on 27/06/2020 18:06

Posted on 27/06/2020 18:06

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ocsid replied on 27/06/2020 18:41

Posted on 27/06/2020 17:54 by George and Dawn

UK tv is not a priority 

Just English speaking

Maybe film channel  ect 

Posted on 27/06/2020 18:41

I am sorry as I have zero knowledge on what viable options from other satellites cover your requirements.

Our own practice for "canned" entertainment abroad, is to record films etc that might be of interest transmitted through the year in SD on a spare Humax Freeview PVR. Then load these onto a number of 32 GB USB sticks for use in our Avtex. [The technique is not enabled for HD recordings.]

In practice, we view very little of what we take, having most evenings lost ourselves sitting out in the warmth, keeping an eye on the world, whilst enjoying a decent red.

George and Dawn replied on 28/06/2020 01:04

Posted on 27/06/2020 18:41 by ocsid

I am sorry as I have zero knowledge on what viable options from other satellites cover your requirements.

Our own practice for "canned" entertainment abroad, is to record films etc that might be of interest transmitted through the year in SD on a spare Humax Freeview PVR. Then load these onto a number of 32 GB USB sticks for use in our Avtex. [The technique is not enabled for HD recordings.]

In practice, we view very little of what we take, having most evenings lost ourselves sitting out in the warmth, keeping an eye on the world, whilst enjoying a decent red.

Posted on 28/06/2020 01:04

i’m with you here on every aspect. maybe i am going in the wrong direction. i think a decent tv that will link to wifi. and my netflix account maybe all we need. 

now the question. what tv and what’s the best wat to get on the internet 🤔

allanandjean replied on 28/06/2020 06:34

Posted on 28/06/2020 01:04 by George and Dawn

i’m with you here on every aspect. maybe i am going in the wrong direction. i think a decent tv that will link to wifi. and my netflix account maybe all we need. 

now the question. what tv and what’s the best wat to get on the internet 🤔

Posted on 28/06/2020 06:34

Hi, first off let me say that I am in agreement with the other posters and your self.

I have as others wasted hours trying to get a signal when I could hav just sat and chilled but my wife likes to see the UK news so have persevered.

In order to make things easier I ditched the old Sky box I had been given and bought a Cello Satellite TV, as in the sat tuner is built in.

We have been pleased with the TV ,it is a lot cheaper than an Avtex, and the setup is certainly easier with all UK channels available via a 60 cm dish in the Landes region last year.

Last year our friends, who liked the TV, bought a Cello that is a Smart TV so that he can connect to it and view things like, I believe, Netflix, Sky etc.

As we dont have any TV subscriptions its no advantage to us but may be suitable for you. This is the one that they have;

https://celloelectronics.com/product/22-smart-full-hd-traveller-tv-with-satellite-tuner/

ocsid replied on 28/06/2020 07:22

Posted on 28/06/2020 07:22

On the TV, I would certainly go the Smart route and one with a satellite decoder [ideally a Freesat ™] as that adds flexibility without extra clobber wiring etc.

Ours is an ageing Avtex with just a generic rather than true Freesat ™ satellite decoder, okay but the "failing" here is the satellite decoder has no electronic programme guide. That is more an irritant than a show stopper as abroad as well as at home we can find a TV guide on our mobiles, but that is just a bit more hassle best avoided if possible.

The TV can record, I like that feature although it is either watch or record not both at least differing channels. I can "can" an F1 race off the German satellite and still be out enjoying the Sunday afternoon.

The issues with pulling things in from the internet are basically "bandwidth" and GBs at your disposal. I have not played in Europe for a couple of years but in our much loved France the available bandwidth and its consistency through a programme, even paid for Wi-Fi was typically inadequate.

That might be resolvable via a smart phone's tethering ??? but it really "Hoovers up" one's roaming GB allowance. An now out of the EU their obligation on phone providers to furnish UK visitors with "like home" mobile services, is going to be something that needs resolving one way or another, no guarantee here. There is buying a Continental SIM with adequate data option, just needs the cost reviewing.

Back on the satellite, I use a 65 CM portable Triax dish. Given not too challenging weather I get a consistent signal on our UK serving satellite cluster down as far as Martel area in the Lot, along the Dordogne riverside. South of there it becomes hit and miss and more weather dependant. Basically just so irritating, therefore too much hassle.

Thankfully I have for whatever reason a natural aptitude to set this up with near zero hassle, in places within a viable signal and being portable can move it about on site to find a view of the satellite.

cyberyacht replied on 28/06/2020 07:50

Posted on 28/06/2020 07:50

I only ever use my TV on Freeview in the UK. We don't bother taking it when abroad. Can't say I've found the evenings drag at all. If I was overwintering in the sun, I suppose I might then miss my cultural input.

ocsid replied on 28/06/2020 08:22

Posted on 28/06/2020 08:22

Whilst presently having an ageing Avtex, if that went belly up it wold not be replaced with a "camping specific TV" but a quality domestic TV.

This is despite being at "home" near  a100% summertime off grid caravanners, I would go back to coping with the limitation of 12 VDC rather than mains, by using my pure sinewave inverter. We did that for a decade pre getting the bundled Avtex, using a SONY 15" TV.

So any replacement will be a quality Smart domestic TV with integrated satellite decoder from either SONY, LG or Samsung. The Avtex is okay but not brilliant and silly money for what you get relative to a recently aquired domestic LG. The inverter is a tad more parasitic in energy use, but the solar set up easily copes with that for the few hours use we ever make of a TV.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/06/2020 10:39

Posted on 28/06/2020 10:39

After years of struggling to set up a freestanding satellite dish we decided to bite the bullet with our previous motorhome and have an 85cms automatic dish installed on the roof. We used this all over Europe until they decided to narrow the signal range but even then we could still get all UK channels of free to air via our Avtex TV with a built in satellite tuner. We have recently changed motorhomes and as yet we have not decided to have another dish as we are uncertain about going abroad at the moment. An automatic dish is a big investment, best part of £2000 for the type we had and you can spend more! There are various freestanding set ups than have a degree if automation which might take some the the frustration out of setting it up.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook