Kampa Awning Leaking

Clincton replied on 21/08/2018 17:15

Posted on 21/08/2018 17:15

I'm tearing my hair out here with both Glossop Caravans and Kampa.

We decided to buy an air awning in January 2017 opting for a Kampa awning because they seemed to be the best from the reviews I read. We bought it from the Manchester Caravan Show with both Kampa & Glossop reps being there.

On holiday last year in August we noticed that water was gathering on the inside of the awning when it rained causing a lot of damage to the grandkids games we left in the awning.

We contacted Kampa and they told us it was either condensation or the that the awning needed to be weathered i.e. the stitching needs to swell. After looking on the Kampa website and in my instruction booklet it did indeed say this.

So we persevered and have took it out a total of 4 times when its rained with the same results.

When its dry i.e. not raining the awning gets a bit of condensation but acceptable.

So....we are guessing after the 3rd time out in the rain that it must be weathering (which to me its unacceptable to expect the awning to pass water in the first place you would accept it if it was a tent).

Ok so we have just come back from Anglesey and it rained again water developed on the inside of the awning fair to say it was worse inside the awning than it was outside as the drops where everywhere.

I contacted Glossop telling then I had photos and video footage of the problem. They told me to send it to them and they will pass it onto Kampa a week later (now) I get an E-mail telling me from the photo (not the video) Kampa are guessing its the Keder and it wants weathering (lol how many times). or use seem sealer (no offer of supplying it though).

I do have a videos which I cant post showing a build up of water on the roof canvass and looking likes it forms droplets through the canvass.

I'm not quite sure were to take this further as nothing seems to be getting resolved.

I suppose I could use the seam sealant but then would I invalidate the warranty that they don't seem to want to honor?

Looking forward to hearing about similar incidents that have a resolution

replied on 21/08/2018 18:16

Posted on 21/08/2018 18:16

Apparently some sort of inner roof can solve the problem. The thing I have read is that the fridge vents can also cause the condensation. I do agree that expecting the seams to take a number of time to weather is unacceptable, I know that it took a couple of holidays to ake mine waterproof.

IanTG replied on 22/08/2018 09:09

Posted on 22/08/2018 09:09

we have 2 Kampas (a small porch awning and 390 - both Rally Air Pro) and have not experienced droplets like those shown in photo. Yes, some condensation sometimes, but that is really just a thin film of moisture on the inside roof, and does not form into droplets.

(there are no vents for fridge etc within our awning area).

If we are pitched on unlevel ground, which can distort the geometry of the awning, then even if we have had pooling in the roof in wet weather, it has not penetrated like yours seems to have. I simply lift the pooled area, and the water runs off down the front.

So, your experience doesn’t mirror ours, so my comments above are simply to draw the comparison, although that in itself doesn’t help you I’m afraid.

i should just add, though, that your contract of sale is with the dealer, and it is them from whom you should seek redress. One could argue the awning is not fit for purpose, and pursue the route as you would with any faulty item. (Sale of goods)

commeyras replied on 22/08/2018 12:49

Posted on 22/08/2018 12:49

Further to Ian's comments - and don't forget that if you paid by Credit Card the company is equally liable with Glossop Caravans.  But give Glossop a chance first.  I have a Kampa frame awning and never had the problem you describe.  Are you able to adjust an air awning to increase the slope thus stopping pooling as you describe?

IanTG replied on 22/08/2018 14:52

Posted on 22/08/2018 14:52

No, comeyras, IME, you cannot adjust an air awning for an uneven pitch. Of course, there is natural ‘give’ in the air cushions, so it does adjust in the sense that the four corners are grounded, but on some terrains, that causes the pooling. 

We have never had a conventional frame awning, so unsure what effect wet weather would have as regards pooling, but I assume, unless ‘legs’ are adjusted perfectly, the canvas between the (near) horizontal poles would indeed pool.

The OP does not mention pooling, so not sure if that is happening when he gets the interior droplets.

commeyras replied on 22/08/2018 15:52

Posted on 22/08/2018 15:52

Ian. With the Kampa frame you have about 9in of adjustment in the legs to cater for uneven ground.  Also I have 3 fibre glass poles which clip into the roof of the awning thereby stopping a dip between the solid poles.  Seems to work as I do not get pooling of water.  Agree, OP does not mention pooling but he does say he has a 'build up of water on the roof' which I take to be pooling.

bobsblackdogs replied on 23/08/2018 11:29

Posted on 23/08/2018 11:29

you could try reproving with kampa spray it's not expensive and works well but i would make a lot of noise at the dealers first

bobsblackdogs replied on 23/08/2018 11:29

Posted on 23/08/2018 11:29

you could try reproving with kampa spray it's not expensive and works well but i would make a lot of noise at the dealers first

IanTG replied on 23/08/2018 20:24

Posted on 23/08/2018 20:24

Comeyras - not sure about your reference to frames, legs or poles. There are none of these in the air awning.

commeyras replied on 24/08/2018 10:50

Posted on 24/08/2018 10:50

Ian, yes I know!  But was just expanding on my earlier aside asking if air awnings had any adjustment in themwink.  Think I'll stick with my frame one.

OP. Any progress? 

lornalou1 replied on 24/08/2018 13:41

Posted on 24/08/2018 13:41

Agree with what's been said earlier about build up/pooling. Surely the roof has a good slope to allow rain to run off. Is the awning rail on the van at the correct height for the Kampa air awning. Just a thought. Here's a clip from google/Kampa

Kampa  Pop AIR awnings suit an awning rail height of 184-198 cm, with the exception of the Pop 260 AIR Pro which suits a height of 168cm. This height is adjustable primarily from the use of the adjustable pegging on the sides of the awning.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook