Commercial or Car Tyres fitment to your Caravan?

Mulan replied on 07/05/2018 23:45

Posted on 07/05/2018 23:45

I read a post recently that the tyres fitted to most vans including ours are car tires and as such have a 2 Ply side wall and a tyre fitter stated it would be better to fit a Commercial Style tyre, as they have a 8 ply side wall and therefore much stronger and in most cases the blowouts are through the sidewalls. It seems to make sense, as most people are saying that the tyres are running at a high PSi and the obvious weak link is a 2 ply side wall. Has anyone fitted commercial tyres to their van? If so what do they recommend?

DavidKlyne replied on 08/05/2018 00:18

Posted on 08/05/2018 00:18

When we caravanned we had mainly Swift group caravans  and they always had commercial  grade 6/8 ply tyres. Would suggest that nothing lower than that quality should be used.

David

JVB66 replied on 08/05/2018 08:28

Posted on 07/05/2018 23:45 by Mulan

I read a post recently that the tyres fitted to most vans including ours are car tires and as such have a 2 Ply side wall and a tyre fitter stated it would be better to fit a Commercial Style tyre, as they have a 8 ply side wall and therefore much stronger and in most cases the blowouts are through the sidewalls. It seems to make sense, as most people are saying that the tyres are running at a high PSi and the obvious weak link is a 2 ply side wall. Has anyone fitted commercial tyres to their van? If so what do they recommend?

Posted on 08/05/2018 08:28

Have you checked that those fitted to your van are 2plyundecided

replied on 08/05/2018 10:45

Posted on 08/05/2018 10:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Boff replied on 08/05/2018 11:18

Posted on 08/05/2018 11:18

I am not sure I agree that most vans run on 2 ply tyres.  I think that most vans, particularly single axle caravans run on what are broadly known as commercial tyres which do tend to have reinforced side walls.  The important thing is, as DD states, to have tyres that have correct load and speed ratings.   In my personal opinion buying a unbalanced no brand tyre made in China, is a false economy.   This is not an opinion neccessarily shared by Caravan manufacturers. 

markflip replied on 09/05/2018 10:19

Posted on 09/05/2018 10:19

Tyre choice has been debated a lot on this forum, it's an important safety issue and there are always different opinions. 

I made a choice to go 'up' a load range from original fitment when replacing the tyres on my large single axle van, as the original tyres were carrying ~90% of the max load.  I chose Hankook Vantra LT (which stands for 'light truck') tyres.  My experience has been that the van tows a lot better with them on, probably because of the stiffer sidewalls (by design and the fact that they are inflated to a higher pressure than the OEM tyres).  

This boils down to personal choice at the end of the day, but I would go for the same tyres again based on my experience, they were also one of the cheapest available in the size/load rating.  

Obviously, you MUST chose a tyre with a load rating equal or greater than the OEM requirements and it's worth comparing what that load rating equates to compared to your van's MTPLM, especially if it's been replated.

bigherb replied on 12/05/2018 11:22

Posted on 12/05/2018 11:22

8 ply doesn't mean it has 8 plys it is just a rating system from the crossply days which would have had the stated number of plys. My 8 ply tyres only have two side wall plies and 5 tread plys. Commercial tyres are tougher construction than passenger tyres and often cheaper too because they are not so high a speed rating.

commeyras replied on 12/05/2018 13:19

Posted on 12/05/2018 13:19

Whilst you will get lots of advice on this forum, why not just ask your local Tyre Depot and discuss it with them.  My caravan has commercial (van) tyres fitted which is I understand the norm for caravans.

ocsid replied on 12/05/2018 13:26

Posted on 07/05/2018 23:45 by Mulan

Posted on 12/05/2018 13:26

Whilst most catastrophic caravan tyre failures are I believe as stated associated with the sidewall, I don't think they are “instantaneous” true blowouts. I think they are the inevitable outcome of wall structure overheating from running under-inflated simply because we can pick up slow punctures and drive on unaware. The running on underinflated leads to excessive sidewall flexing and drag friction both pumping a great deal of heat into particularly the sidewall. This soon denatures the compound and most non metallic reinforcing, rendering the tyre a write-off sometime before it actually disintegrates catastrophically. A carbonised "rubber" tyre is very fragile and weak!
Here in respect to withstanding excessive heating I really don't see any difference in correctly rated tyre, whether they be a modern knitted reinforcement or various numbers of laid up plys. More generally, I much prefer a knitted toroid reinforcement than the labour intensive laying up of ply sheets with their inevitable compliance variations as adjacent layers overlap, and bigger balance issues.
IMO, by far the most important thing after buying correctly rated tyres is to use a TPMS so be aware of any loss of pressure, hopefully before thermal damage writes a tyre off, either dramatically or insidiously.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook