Awning Pegs

fatbelly replied on 25/06/2020 19:41

Posted on 25/06/2020 19:41

We're about to dive into the world of awnings. We've decided on the Kampa air awning. A friend said we should get better pegs than those supplied with the awning. I've been looking and there seems to be screw in or large nail types. Do the screw in pegs need a cordless drill to use (I don't have a drill). We mostly pitch on hardstanding so will the nail type pegs be enough.

Thanks

Cornersteady replied on 25/06/2020 20:04

Posted on 25/06/2020 20:04

The pegs supplied in my experience with awnings are usually not that good, and the hammer supplied is usually only good for grass, so I would get the toughest rock pegs you can get and the largest lump hammer you can manage to deal with. Then just whack away as hard as you can.

I have tried those screw in ones and yes they do need a drill and really not had much success especially on some of the club's hard-standings an found it 'easier' as above.

davetommo replied on 25/06/2020 20:11

Posted on 25/06/2020 20:11

Try the ones that look like a giant size nail with a bar on the top. I they are the best and have tried lots.

JVB66 replied on 26/06/2020 09:44

Posted on 26/06/2020 09:44

Wait for Aldi or Lidl to do their camping promotions they both do good rock pegs in plastic boxes and cheaper than other placescool

stephen p replied on 26/06/2020 10:22

Posted on 25/06/2020 20:04 by Cornersteady

The pegs supplied in my experience with awnings are usually not that good, and the hammer supplied is usually only good for grass, so I would get the toughest rock pegs you can get and the largest lump hammer you can manage to deal with. Then just whack away as hard as you can.

I have tried those screw in ones and yes they do need a drill and really not had much success especially on some of the club's hard-standings an found it 'easier' as above.

Posted on 26/06/2020 10:22

Screw Pegs.... Hammer in, Screw out!! (electric drill).

I have moved on to the big nail type, as long and as big as possible, big club hammer (4lb) and pull them out by gripping the top with a pair of Mole grips, straight pull and Robert is your Dads brother. I have a few bent ones but I have never been beaten by a hard standing yet. Even on soft ground if you use the longest you can find (seem to be green topped) you can usually get some decent grip.

I have never understood the shape and usefulness of the plastic top on these (any) pegs and they are usually broken easily by a misplaced hammer blow (ouch!). I now put a penny washer under the top, it holds the ladder strip much better.

A very imperial thread, pennies & pounds

KeithL replied on 26/06/2020 10:48

Posted on 25/06/2020 19:41 by fatbelly

We're about to dive into the world of awnings. We've decided on the Kampa air awning. A friend said we should get better pegs than those supplied with the awning. I've been looking and there seems to be screw in or large nail types. Do the screw in pegs need a cordless drill to use (I don't have a drill). We mostly pitch on hardstanding so will the nail type pegs be enough.

Thanks

Posted on 26/06/2020 10:48

The Kampa ones are good on grass but useless on hard standings. I use the giant nail type with a good lump hammer. I also carry a crowbar to remove them easily.

One thing to consider with the nail types is there are two basic designs, ones with a t-bar welded on about an inch down from the head and ones with a plastic block at the head. I found the t-bar ones really easy to remove but with the inch plus raised above the ground found I tripped over the damn things a lot, very painful with bare feet. I now only use the plastic block type as they go right down to the floor.

JVB66 replied on 26/06/2020 10:53

Posted on 26/06/2020 10:53

Just a tip which i find makes for "easier" to get rock pegs out of the ground is to twist before pulling as it normally releases the grab of the hardstand ,then use another peg under cross lifts it outwink

to insert the rock peg i have a Thor "soft face" hammer(about 30years of use now) plenty of thump but little noisecool

no one replied on 26/06/2020 11:03

Posted on 26/06/2020 11:03

I carry a box of rock pegs and a box of screw in type, in my van the boxes are the right size to fit alongside the water heater along with the fridge vent covers and anti slip tracks. I have used the screw type a couple of times where there is an issue hammering in the rock pegs I use a socket and ratchet to put them in, once they have been hammered down as far as they can, or to take them out.

On average I probably use 3 or 4 screw in pegs depending on the ground, the rest being the rock pegs (nails)

Don't bother with the 'glow in the dark' type, because they don't! I found the orange tops are just as good if not better to see. don't even consider the plastic pegs surprised

richardandros replied on 26/06/2020 11:04

Posted on 26/06/2020 11:04

The standard plastic Kampa pegs are excellent on a grass pitch - probably the best you can get - so don't chuck 'em away!  In really windy conditions, I tend to double-peg key points of the awning just to be on the safe side.

My experience with the screw in pegs is that they don't work and you're better off doing as most others say - lump hammer and rock pegs.  I use a claw hammer to pull them out, having first given them a twist, as JVB says.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook