Advice on a new battery

winni1974 replied on 11/04/2023 21:35

Posted on 11/04/2023 21:35

i have bought our first twin axle caravan and it doesn’t come with a battery i am having power touch twin motor movers fitted and would love some advice on a decent battery. The caravan dealership only have one type which is a Monbat 110 ah and I have also looked at the Halfords HLB 750 which is 100ah but really don’t have much experience of knowing which would suit the best or if i should be looking at others and help would be very much appreciated 

Cornersteady replied on 11/04/2023 21:43

Posted on 11/04/2023 21:43

I have a mover and my battery is 105 ah bought from the dealer. I recall that there is a difference between car (engine starting) batteries and those for leisure like caravans and boats but also from discussions on here that if you are going to use EHU all the time it perhaps doesn't matter? 

Post edit:

Caravan batteries are quite different to car batteries, so it’s important to know how to charge and maintain them properly to get the best out of them. If looked after carefully and used efficiently, a leisure battery should meet several days’ basic habitation needs between charges and will provide many seasons of service before replacement.

Caravan or ‘Leisure’ batteries are designed to supply currents of a few amps for longer periods and to be discharged and recharged many times. Battery life is enhanced if it is kept well charged, so the battery should always be kept on charge if a mains hook-up is available - here's some information on using the electricity supply at our sites for when you're touring from location to location

From the club's webpage here

Double post edit some information here

I'm sure others will give better replies than me, as I said I just got mine from the dealer and it's worked very well every time I needed the mover.

replied on 11/04/2023 22:00

Posted on 11/04/2023 22:00

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Lyke Wake Man replied on 12/04/2023 09:21

Posted on 12/04/2023 09:21

try Tanya batteries they have a lot of different leisure batteries, but first check the measurements of your battery housing

Burgundy replied on 12/04/2023 09:33

Posted on 12/04/2023 09:33

Powrtouch recommend 100 amph leisure battery for all their motor movers. 
I buy my batteries online from Tayna Batteries, next day delivery. Check your battery box size, they have a wide range of sizes and capacities.

Freddy55 replied on 12/04/2023 20:45

Posted on 12/04/2023 20:45

Another vote for Tayna. It’s worth noting that they offer options when it comes to the position of the + and - terminals.

winni1974 replied on 13/04/2023 08:35

Posted on 13/04/2023 08:35

thanks everyone for the comments and advice i have ordered one from Tayna last night, i ordered the Yuasa L36-EFB 12V 100Ah as it looks to be a great battery for the price. yes some others maybe better but they also are much more expensive and i also found some cheaper ones from places like euro car parts but i wanted one with a good reputation and the Yuasa seems to fit what i wanted plus i get a 4 year warranty although some reviews say that Tayna dont always follow up with warranty issues so fingers cross i dont need to use the warranty 

replied on 13/04/2023 09:55

Posted on 13/04/2023 08:35 by winni1974

thanks everyone for the comments and advice i have ordered one from Tayna last night, i ordered the Yuasa L36-EFB 12V 100Ah as it looks to be a great battery for the price. yes some others maybe better but they also are much more expensive and i also found some cheaper ones from places like euro car parts but i wanted one with a good reputation and the Yuasa seems to fit what i wanted plus i get a 4 year warranty although some reviews say that Tayna dont always follow up with warranty issues so fingers cross i dont need to use the warranty 

Posted on 13/04/2023 09:55

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 13/04/2023 12:41

Posted on 13/04/2023 09:55 by

A very good choice.  My experience of Tayna and whether they honor their warranties was excellent.  I purchased a Enduroline for our car which would not hold it's charge.  I discussed it with them and they replaced it overnight.  They did not even want the faulty battery returned.  To qualify that the battery had failed within 30 days of delivery, possibly if it had been towards the end of the 4 years warranty period it may have been a different story.  

Posted on 13/04/2023 12:41

That surprises me DD, I had one of the early 200w solar generators that failed within 7months I reported to the company I bought it from & within the week a courier delivered a new upgraded SG & took the old one away. I received an email shortly after explaining a part had failed & the manufacturer had been consulted & was aware. That to me is real world service & attitude. They actually wanted  the SG back to ensure any ongoing issue would be solved. I have upgraded with them over the years without any further problems👍🏻

replied on 13/04/2023 15:20

Posted on 13/04/2023 12:41 by Rocky 2 buckets

That surprises me DD, I had one of the early 200w solar generators that failed within 7months I reported to the company I bought it from & within the week a courier delivered a new upgraded SG & took the old one away. I received an email shortly after explaining a part had failed & the manufacturer had been consulted & was aware. That to me is real world service & attitude. They actually wanted  the SG back to ensure any ongoing issue would be solved. I have upgraded with them over the years without any further problems👍🏻

Posted on 13/04/2023 15:20

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook