TurfMesh 1800

JaneandIan replied on 15/06/2020 14:45

Posted on 15/06/2020 14:45

Hi everyone. We are looking to establish a parking area for our 3500kg motorhome on an unused area of grass. I have two issues I need to solve. Firstly I need to find grass reinforcement that will take the weight of the motorhome. Secondly I will need to find ramps to get the motorhome over the kerb of the pavement.

I have found TurfMesh 1800 and wondered whether anyone had any feedback on this or some other similar suggestions. I have also seen quite a few kerb ramps on Amazon but am not sure that they would suffice for something heavier than a car. Suggestions would be very welcome 

With thanks in advance

Jane

ABM replied on 15/06/2020 15:31

Posted on 15/06/2020 15:31

Be careful about Kerbs, Jane ~~  My local council is Cheshire East and they look with much disfavour on folks driving over the normal Kerbs.  They much prefer you to attack your wallet and pay to let them provide the  Official  and Preferred { for a fee  money-mouth } dropped kerb . If nothing else it would avoid damage to your tyres  frown

DavidKlyne replied on 15/06/2020 15:42

Posted on 15/06/2020 15:42

Something that might be worth considering rather than ramps is a round garden post, the sort they usually use in series to make a retaining wall. Depending on how high the kerb is but the poles are about three inches in diameter which should be enough the soften the kerb. I used similar for years getting my caravan in and out of the back garden. 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 15/06/2020 15:56

Posted on 15/06/2020 15:56

There is nothing to stop someone parking alongside a normal kerb but, if it’s a dropped kerb, they are classed as causing an obstruction because they are blocking your access. 

I'm with ABM, the councils don't like you driving over their kerbs and pavements which are not constructed to take the weight of a vehicle.

Be aware too of the planning regs if you consider creating any form of hardstanding from tarmac, concrete or paving.

EmilysDad replied on 15/06/2020 19:21

Posted on 15/06/2020 15:56 by Tinwheeler

There is nothing to stop someone parking alongside a normal kerb but, if itโ€™s a dropped kerb, they are classed as causing an obstruction because they are blocking your access. 

I'm with ABM, the councils don't like you driving over their kerbs and pavements which are not constructed to take the weight of a vehicle.

Be aware too of the planning regs if you consider creating any form of hardstanding from tarmac, concrete or paving.

Posted on 15/06/2020 19:21

They're building a grass hard standing ... hence the Turfmesh ๐Ÿ˜‰

JaneandIan replied on 16/06/2020 08:15

Posted on 15/06/2020 15:42 by DavidKlyne

Something that might be worth considering rather than ramps is a round garden post, the sort they usually use in series to make a retaining wall. Depending on how high the kerb is but the poles are about three inches in diameter which should be enough the soften the kerb. I used similar for years getting my caravan in and out of the back garden. 

David

Posted on 16/06/2020 08:15

Im loving the idea of poles David. Thanks for this. Definitely worth checking out embarassed

Tinwheeler replied on 16/06/2020 08:43

Posted on 15/06/2020 19:21 by EmilysDad

They're building a grass hard standing ... hence the Turfmesh ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted on 16/06/2020 08:43

Yes, I read the post. Hence I said if you consider....

Takethedogalong replied on 16/06/2020 10:48

Posted on 16/06/2020 08:15 by JaneandIan

Im loving the idea of poles David. Thanks for this. Definitely worth checking out embarassed

Posted on 16/06/2020 10:48

Wood poles come in a variety of diameters, so you could construct something graduated. (Good idea by the way๐Ÿ‘)

We have heavy duty plastic mesh underpinning our back yard area, where we store our MH. It’s not used with grass though, we have it covered with pea gravel. Been down around 8 years now, driven over every day with a big Jeep (a very big, heavy Jeep๐Ÿ˜‚). Mesh is undamaged, we get the odd bit of gravel kick up occasionally. Never have trouble getting MH on and off, and it’s a bit of a slope as well. Gravel is like a burglar alarm, only thing I have seen creep over it without making a noise is next door’s cat, everything else crunches like mad, that sets the dog off, and we know who or what is around.

no one replied on 16/06/2020 12:40

Posted on 16/06/2020 12:40

See if this post is accepted!

I have mesh down it was originally for the same kind of reason, to park vehicles on. However in the rainy season (all year!), my ground soaks up the water and becomes boggy, the mesh over the years has sunk into the ground and is now about 2 inches down.

A better option would be those plastic grids that clip together then you can fill them with the substance of your choice. 

my answer was to redesign the garden and lay 900x600 x50mm council slabs which easily support any vehicle.

JollyKernow replied on 16/06/2020 13:15

Posted on 16/06/2020 13:15

Hi

In the past I have screwed 3 wooden windbreak poles together to make a triangle shape, works fine against the kerb. 

I'd agree with rajohno above, could you not put down 2 lines of slabs?

JK

brue replied on 16/06/2020 14:59

Posted on 16/06/2020 14:59

We inherited what looked like a good sized gravel parking area, however everything parked on it sank. So we let the grass grow through it and then put two lines of slabs, these break occasionally due to the weight of the M/H. So as others have said beware sinking ground (we do have a tarmac as well and we had to widen our driveway to get previous caravans up the driveway. It wasn't difficult to apply to the council to get more of the kerb widened and dropped, it saves a lot of damage and hassle.

We did look at mesh but realised the underpinnings needed to be just as good as tarmac.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook