TurfMesh 1800

JaneandIan replied on 15/06/2020 14:45

Posted on 15/06/2020 14:45

Hi everyone. We are looking to establish a parking area for our 3500kg motorhome on an unused area of grass. I have two issues I need to solve. Firstly I need to find grass reinforcement that will take the weight of the motorhome. Secondly I will need to find ramps to get the motorhome over the kerb of the pavement.

I have found TurfMesh 1800 and wondered whether anyone had any feedback on this or some other similar suggestions. I have also seen quite a few kerb ramps on Amazon but am not sure that they would suffice for something heavier than a car. Suggestions would be very welcome 

With thanks in advance

Jane

DavidKlyne replied on 16/06/2020 15:31

Posted on 16/06/2020 15:31

We are lucky that we can store our motorhome in the back garden and it's the same place we used to keep the caravan. However, as Brue points out, there is a difference in weight and I have had to do a lot of reinforcement under what Rajohno  calls Council Slabs. Access over a kerb and converting an  area of garden as a parking area does have different rules depending where you live. Here in MK it cost £450 just for the Council to consider it!!!  They will also probably insist that the pavement will have to be reinforced which would be costly. Best if you can to operate under the radar if you can and providing you don't upset any neighbours (who are likely to engage with the Council) One thing I would ask is the mesh area going to be level? If not be aware that motorhomes with front wheel drive could slip on this sort of surface if wet and on a slope.

David

peedee replied on 16/06/2020 16:02

Posted on 16/06/2020 16:02

I had my parking area block paved. It was fine for my 3.8 ton motorhome but my current one (6.5 tons) causes pits to form where the wheels sit. I just periodically take up the blocks an chuck more sand/aggregate under and put them back down. When if I do change I will be downsizing and do not think there will then be any problems.

peedee

DGAJ replied on 16/06/2020 18:15

Posted on 16/06/2020 18:15

I have just laid MatsGrids on an area of grass which got boggy for our 3.8 ton motorhome. It works fine for us. They went down on hardcore and then topsoil. We seeded them and now have the area looking like lawn again.  Their website also includes the installation guides which were helpful. 

https://www.matsgrids.co.uk/porous-paving/179-green-porous-paving-grids-5060423910138.html#/pack_size-1m

MikeyA replied on 16/06/2020 20:01

Posted on 16/06/2020 20:01

Just for your guidance, if you intend to lay hardcore/stone, it is always a good idea to remove all the top soil, lay a sheet of geotextile ( commonly called terram) before filling with the aggregate. The geotextile stops the subsoil punching through the aggregate. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook