Swift MH weights

young thomas replied on 03/09/2017 07:32

Posted on 03/09/2017 07:32

for 2018, Swift have lumped all their Bolero and Bessacarr models together in one range....Bessacarr.

some have been stretched (again) to produce a 'cheaper' version of the Kon Tiki, with some layouts at 8.11m.....now, thats a lot of van...

incredibly, they are marketing this lump with a std 3500kg chassis, which, with the obvious option of the 150bhp engine and auto box, leaves a 'payload' (i use the term loosely) of under 200kg.

now, some caravanners might think thats a decent amount BUT this does not include ANY other juicy options (satellite, twin batteries, bike rack, tow bar etc) NOR ANY water, nor passenger, not camping gear nor ANYTHING....

not only that, looking at the huge rear overhang and the rear water tank, its likely the rear axle limit will be close to being exceeded before the first passenger sets foot in the van.

certainly adding anything at the rear (water, 'stuff'', bikes/rack etc) will render this van useless before its turned a wheel....

its not good Swift offering a chassis upgrade (which they dont, youd have to do it yourself.....) if the 3.5t carrot has cost someone £60k+ for a van they dont have the license to drive....

this seems to me to be wholly irresponsible marketing which will end in heartbreak for the unwary. 

JVB66 replied on 03/09/2017 07:55

Posted on 03/09/2017 07:55

But as proven so many times "marketing deparments"can sell anything to the nieve,look what has happened to the motor caravan and the caravan clubwink

young thomas replied on 03/09/2017 08:15

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:15

i posted this to raise awareness for those whose eye gets caught by just that hype, not for you to wade in and have (yet) another go at motorhomers (who are obviously all 'nieve' (sic))undecided

JVB66 replied on 03/09/2017 08:23

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:15 by young thomas

i posted this to raise awareness for those whose eye gets caught by just that hype, not for you to wade in and have (yet) another go at motorhomers (who are obviously all 'nieve' (sic))undecided

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:23

That chip you have is turning into a log and has just proved what I postedundecided

SteveL replied on 03/09/2017 08:43

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:43

It was a unfortunately, to a lesser extent a general problem when we were looking around at last years show. Due to age we want to stick within the 3.5 limit. Trouble is most of the higher spec vans had so much kit, that without the upgrade did not offer a particularly generous payload. We particularly wanted the Alde heating, but it was very difficult to come by on the more basic MH's. So as well as the extra weight of the Alde you had to have all the rest.

It really did feel like they were selling a product not fit for purpose. Unless of course you went for the upgrade. None of the sales people we talked to highlighted this. So it would be very easy for someone to get drawn in by all shiney add ons. Especially someone coming from caravanning, where at least you may have the option of carrying some heavy stuff in the car and don't generally travel with onboard water.

EJB986 replied on 03/09/2017 08:45

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:45

What's the problem jvc...are members not supposed to offer useful information?

JVB66 replied on 03/09/2017 08:53

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:45 by EJB986

What's the problem jvc...are members not supposed to offer useful information?

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:53

undecided did the smiley in my first post not give a hintsurprisedsome are so touchy cool

Randomcamper replied on 03/09/2017 09:59

Posted on 03/09/2017 09:59

this seems to me to be wholly irresponsible marketing which will end in heartbreak for the unwary.

I agree with you BB.

I think the last few cars we have bought in our household the selling dealer has gone through some "wants & needs" type discussion at the point of sale, with everything ticked off on a check sheet and both parties have to sign it.

Given that many M/H purchasers are of a "certain age" and there is the burning issue of age and weight (of van!) it would seem reasonable that dealers ensure this is addressed during the sales process.

Given that even large companies are completely incapable of behaving in an ethical manner ( household names behind the miss-selling of PPI, interest only mortgages or even airlines failing to adequately compensate for delays until forced to) perhaps the Club should press the relevant trade bodies (NCC ?) to introduce something......

It would not surprise me if one day there is a miss-selling scandal around this or the crime of "Use, cause, permit an overloaded vehicle". Perhaps a few prosecutions of dealers would help focus minds.....??...undecided

young thomas replied on 03/09/2017 10:24

Posted on 03/09/2017 08:43 by SteveL

It was a unfortunately, to a lesser extent a general problem when we were looking around at last years show. Due to age we want to stick within the 3.5 limit. Trouble is most of the higher spec vans had so much kit, that without the upgrade did not offer a particularly generous payload. We particularly wanted the Alde heating, but it was very difficult to come by on the more basic MH's. So as well as the extra weight of the Alde you had to have all the rest.

It really did feel like they were selling a product not fit for purpose. Unless of course you went for the upgrade. None of the sales people we talked to highlighted this. So it would be very easy for someone to get drawn in by all shiney add ons. Especially someone coming from caravanning, where at least you may have the option of carrying some heavy stuff in the car and don't generally travel with onboard water.

Posted on 03/09/2017 10:24

Steve, as a 'rough' yardstick, any MH over 7m is going to be blooming hard to run at 3.5t, especially as most 'sources' suggest around a minimum of 500kg of 'genuine payload (after extras) for a couple, which must accommodate the passenger, all kit, water, bikes, awning etc etc...

in fact, just about everything a caravanner stuffs in their large towcar, plus the water, OH shoeswink etc...

our previous van at 7.35m 'could have' but not at a practical lavel...it happened to come on a 4.25t chassis anyway....

this van, at 6.4, and a 'lightweight' slimline version runs with around 80-100kg spare 'all up'.....fluids, gas, water, shoeswink etc.

ok, we have a few 'extras' that some vans might not have but you can see where this is going...

anything larger, approaching 7m, and certainly wider (like the latest Baileys) will be staritng from a much heavier position.

im sure there are existing owners who are in a similar (blissfull ignorance) position...

many times, ive mentioned 'weight'in threads and can hardly remember anyone coming back and saying that this issue has caused them to visit a weighbridge.

yes, three or four (knowledgable members anyway, IMV) have mentioned their weights and that was in a 'tyre pressure' thread.

im convinced of one CTmember being overweight (van, lol) who has a long van, long overhang, bikes and a rear rack....yet despite several broaches of the subject has chosen to remain quiet on the subject.

obviously, thats their prerogative, but ignoring the issue doesnt make it go away....and ignorance is no defense if plod (or worse, le Gendarmerie) wants a chat

young thomas replied on 03/09/2017 10:45

Posted on 03/09/2017 09:59 by Randomcamper

I agree with you BB.

I think the last few cars we have bought in our household the selling dealer has gone through some "wants & needs" type discussion at the point of sale, with everything ticked off on a check sheet and both parties have to sign it.

Given that many M/H purchasers are of a "certain age" and there is the burning issue of age and weight (of van!) it would seem reasonable that dealers ensure this is addressed during the sales process.

Given that even large companies are completely incapable of behaving in an ethical manner ( household names behind the miss-selling of PPI, interest only mortgages or even airlines failing to adequately compensate for delays until forced to) perhaps the Club should press the relevant trade bodies (NCC ?) to introduce something......

It would not surprise me if one day there is a miss-selling scandal around this or the crime of "Use, cause, permit an overloaded vehicle". Perhaps a few prosecutions of dealers would help focus minds.....??...undecided

Posted on 03/09/2017 10:45

TT, up until last year (i think) there was a directive (eu?) that said what elements had to be included in the MIRO so that the buyer knew that what was left, really was payload....notwithstanding passengers and extras.

from memory it was something like...

90% fuel

90% fresh water

driver (nominal 75kg)

one full large gas cylinder

battery

tool kit

spare wheel

these days MIRO can be whatever the manufacturer decides to include, or not. the obvious one to leave out is water.....suddenly ALL vans seem to have 100kg or more of extra payload.....wow!

now i know, not all folk carry a full tank, depending on where youve been and where ypu are going (amongst other things) but at some time most of us have a whole heap of water on board and if youre marginal on weight its easy to get caught out...

most folk forget that there is only a 75kg allowance for the driver and none for the OH or other passenger....so anyone a tad over the nominal amount and an 'average' sized OH will be adding another 100kgto the pot...

ive read recently of a chap with a 3.5t van taking it to the weighbridge after purchase and finding he was 300+kg over weight....

my advice for ANYONE buying a MH new or used, weigh it before purchase.....either empty with the certain knowledge of everything you will ever carry (incl allowances for fluids) or better stil weigh it fuly loaded.....

good luck, stay aware...theres a lot of mind numbing bling out there

Tinwheeler replied on 03/09/2017 13:43

Posted on 03/09/2017 13:43

You're on the nail, BB. The vans are being targeted at those with licence limitations and I suspect many will be overloaded and significantly overweight in use.

We deliberately searched out a 3500kg model 3-4 years ago before the current round of 'not fit for purpose' vans grew to present proportions. It quickly became clear even then that only the small to modest size MHs would give us an adequate payload and it was fortunate that the size suited us.

The thought of a family using a large 3500kg MH and filling it with all their gear, probably in blissful ignorance, is the stuff of nightmares.

We weighed ours and with the addition of towbar, spare wheel and all our stuff it's only just inside the limit even with a payload of 400+kg. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook