Problems After a Year! Wellhouse Terrier

ScgtPoole replied on 15/08/2017 12:01

Posted on 15/08/2017 12:01

We are still having issues with our Wellhouse Ford Transit CustomTerrier Campervan, supplied by Brakes Motors Illminster, after twelve months. Wellhouse Terrier Campervans have since joined with Lunar Caravans. Issues have been many, various and quite serious. Ranging from an insecure roof and water ingress, to panel trims repeatedly coming away. Wellhouse have looked at the vehicle on numerous occasions, yet Issues continue to arise. We own our vehicle outright (no loan or HP) yet Wellhouse fitted a trim that doesn't match the others in the van and which they were told several times that we didn't want! - Several people have picked out the mismatched trim, without being told which one it was! - We parted with £47,500.00 and regret it! We've been told that we have been unlucky. However, we haven't had "the attention to detail" or "craftsmanship" that others claim, especially when Panel Trims are coming away for a third time. And I don't consider that has anything to do with bad luck!

young thomas replied on 15/08/2017 12:16

Posted on 15/08/2017 12:16

i agree with you, have you placed your concerns/expectations in writing and presented to the MD of the dealership.

it is their responsibility to resolve them for you and to a reasonably acceptable timescale.

the dealer may need (substantial) help from the manufacturer, but this is his problem to resolve and manage on your behalf.

luck shouldnt have anything to do with it, there are laws to cover bad work,anship and customer service masquerading as bad luck.undecided

Tinwheeler replied on 15/08/2017 12:20

Posted on 15/08/2017 12:20

You beat me to it, BB.

The other thing you could try, SC, is to contact the club for legal advice but I'd urge you to act soon as the clock is ticking.

ScgtPoole replied on 15/08/2017 13:07

Posted on 15/08/2017 13:07

I am in Direct Contact with David Elliott, The Director of Wellhouse, who are responsible as all of the issues are on the Conversion side of the van. Although he concedes that he cannot force Brakes Motors, - The Supplying Dealership to do anything, he believes that Brakes should now give me a full refund and indeed gave me every indication that was likely to happen. Brakes have stated that they won't do this and are now consulting their Solicitors. I have contacted my own Solicitor and The Club's Legal Helpline. - Thank you.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/08/2017 13:19

Posted on 15/08/2017 13:19

The supplying dealership of the finished vehicle is responsible. Your contract is with them, not the converter, unless you bought from the converter.

ScgtPoole replied on 15/08/2017 16:09

Posted on 15/08/2017 16:09

Tinwheeler, Yes, I'm aware of that. It seems that Brakes Motors in Illminster are not as keen on resolving this issue as The Director of Wellhouse Leisure is!

Tinwheeler replied on 15/08/2017 16:32

Posted on 15/08/2017 16:09 by ScgtPoole

Tinwheeler, Yes, I'm aware of that. It seems that Brakes Motors in Illminster are not as keen on resolving this issue as The Director of Wellhouse Leisure is!

Posted on 15/08/2017 16:32

But he can't resolve it - you've already said as much.

I urge you to pursue the correct body in the recommended manner. If it comes to legal action you will be laughed out of court for citing the wrong company on the summons, or for not pursuing the legally responsible retailer in the first place.

Still, it's up to you.

ScgtPoole replied on 16/08/2017 10:54

Posted on 16/08/2017 10:54

Tinwheeler, I am aware of this as both my Wife and I have been in Law most of our careers. In Civil Litigation, if it gets to a Courtroom, The County Court Judge will expect that both parties have done everything reasonably possible to avoid it getting that far. As the Director of Wellhouse gave us the impression that he has far more influence over Brakes Motors than he clearly does, it seemed sensible to let that angle bottom out first. We are fully aware that our Contract is with Brakes Motors and regardless that all of the issues are on the conversion side of the van, (Wellhouse), Brakes Motors are The Party responsible in Law. Like most people, we have Legal Services Insurance included in our Home Insurance Policy and it specifically covers pursuing a Case of Unsatisfactory Goods or Services. - As I have given both Wellhouse and Brakes Motors every opportunity to resolve this issue, it appears that I am going to be using it, unfortunately. - It’s a great pity, as we bought this vehicle just after my Wife was told that she was in remission having survived Breast Cancer. Shortly after her good news, her Father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly and within three weeks, so did my Mum. - We then bought the van hoping that it would help to start to put things behind us as we were getting away from everything at the weekends. I doubt that we have had more than one or two trips in the van without yet another issue arising every time we use it. Amidst all of that, My Mother in Law was then diagnosed with a tumour behind her eye, and we are taking her from Bournemouth to Moorfields Hospital in London on a regular basis, as it is the nearest place that can treat her for. - There have then been three deaths in quick succession on our Daughter's Fiancée’s side of the family including the Fiancée’s blood Father and then Step Father that was to be his Best Man at the Wedding this week, and a suicide! Brakes are aware of the reasons for buying the van, and The Director of Wellhouse is aware of all of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not so naïve as to believe that sentiment comes into business, but my point was to let them know that we really could do without any more aggro at the moment. - (And that's what Solicitors are for!)

Moderator Comment - Steve I am not sure why you have posted this in the Story Section as well as a discussion? I have hidden the story from view to avoid duplication on the forum.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/08/2017 13:30

Posted on 16/08/2017 13:30

SC, I'm not trying to start an argument here but you consistently gave the impression of not understanding the legal position so I have been trying to help you, as did BB. However, it seems your posts were rather misleading and we were wasting our time. I wonder what you hoped to achieve from posting.

I'm sorry you've had a chain of unfortunate personal issues but would caution against posting too many personal details on an open forum.

ScgtPoole replied on 16/08/2017 18:52

Posted on 16/08/2017 18:52

Tinwheeler. - Thank you so much for your compassion and humanity! - We're going through hell here and have been since my wife's diagnosis in 2014. I'm sorry if I've dented your ego, but where have I given the impression  that I have no understanding of the legal position? Show me where I have intentionally misled anybody. Show me where I gave the impression that I wanted Legal Advice? - The Club provides that by Professionals. As for wasting your time, what are you going to do, bill me for it? I didn't ask you to either read or respond to my post. - As for what I 'I hoped to achieve,' - If I save one person, particularly one that has all of the other issues to deal with, that we have, from suffering the same, I think that's a positive out of a negative, don't you?

DPF replied on 20/08/2017 08:45

Posted on 20/08/2017 08:45

Hi Steve,

I hope you get everything sorted in the end. It would be bad enough if it were just the poor workmanship in the van, but your awful personal circumstances make matters terrible. Sadly, there is too much bad workmanship out there in the RV industry. I have a friend who bought a new Autosleeper - the roof leaked! The supplying dealer (Marquis) tried several times to fix it ( a £70,000 coachbuilt). Eventually they took legal action and got a full refund, and also compensation for the loss of use while the van was off the road. Apparently it was Autosleeper, not Marquis who resolved the situation. Hope things go better for you.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook