Pilote P746C 2019

Annie Adria replied on 24/06/2019 07:15

Posted on 24/06/2019 07:15

We are the very proud owners of a new Pilote P46C but have two 'irritations' about which we are seeking help.

1) The Pilote Experience tablet fails to show the correct battery charge level.  We have two solar panels and two leisure batteries and have ensured that these are accurately reflected in the settings, but the reading steadfastly refuses to show >85% charge and we know this is not right.  Anybody else experienced this?

2) We have a Fiat Ducato automatic gearbox; this does not have a park setting.  If we need to use levelling blocks, there seems no way we can then make use of the driver's swivel chair as it is impeded by the handbrake.  Are we missing something or is this a design fault?

Thank you.

Qashqai66 replied on 25/06/2019 13:26

Posted on 25/06/2019 13:26

It seems beyond extraordinary that Fiat are still fitting lever type handbrakes rather than an electronic button.  It's yet another reason for us to choose the new Sprinter as our base vehicle.  It has a proper auto box and no old fashioned handbrake to wrench my ageing shoulder.

Ayf replied on 25/06/2019 13:40

Posted on 25/06/2019 13:40

Hi BB, the Legal Notice is highlighted on the last page of the 52-page 2019 Pilote catalogue; as below:

LEGAL NOTICE:
Official seating classification and Mass in Running Order are calculated as accurately as possible in compliance with European legislation. These take into account
basic and standard equipment with a tolerance of +/- 5%. Mass In Running Order figures include freshwater tanks with a capacity of 20 litres and diesel tanks
90% full, one gas bottle 90% full, but do not include the weight of the driver or other occupants.

MichaelT replied on 25/06/2019 14:29

Posted on 25/06/2019 13:26 by Qashqai66

It seems beyond extraordinary that Fiat are still fitting lever type handbrakes rather than an electronic button.  It's yet another reason for us to choose the new Sprinter as our base vehicle.  It has a proper auto box and no old fashioned handbrake to wrench my ageing shoulder.

Posted on 25/06/2019 14:29

Disappointing rather than extraordinary as these base vehicles are really just a white van.  Of course if you want to blinker yourself and go Merc route that is your prerogative but as probably 90% of MH makers choose Fiat there must be a reason and of course the extra savings can be used for some little extraswink

Qashqai66 replied on 25/06/2019 16:15

Posted on 25/06/2019 14:29 by MichaelT

Disappointing rather than extraordinary as these base vehicles are really just a white van.  Of course if you want to blinker yourself and go Merc route that is your prerogative but as probably 90% of MH makers choose Fiat there must be a reason and of course the extra savings can be used for some little extraswink

Posted on 25/06/2019 16:15

We would prefer a good quality transmission to extras.  Extras add weight.  Yes, Fiat offer an auto of sorts but is in in fact an electronically controlled manual gearbox.  Rolls Royce and Bentley gave up manual transmission in the early 1950's.  I can't understand why the rest of the industry has held on to outdated technology.  Electrification will bring the clutch to an end.

peedee replied on 25/06/2019 16:58

Posted on 25/06/2019 16:58

I actaully prefer the semi auto boxes  it is useful on occasions to be able to flick it into manual mode and flick through the gears rather than let the computer decide. My motorhome and toad both have semi auto boxes.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 25/06/2019 17:08

Posted on 25/06/2019 16:58 by peedee

I actaully prefer the semi auto boxes  it is useful on occasions to be able to flick it into manual mode and flick through the gears rather than let the computer decide. My motorhome and toad both have semi auto boxes.

peedee

Posted on 25/06/2019 17:08

PD, I’ve yet to meet an auto you can’t do that with. American boxes might behave differently but you can certainly select manual mode with TC, DC, CVT…

peedee replied on 25/06/2019 17:19

Posted on 25/06/2019 17:19

I have owned vehicles with fully auto boxes but do not recall the manual functions behaving exactly like the semi auto ones. My wife's Volvo is fully auto, I rarely drive it but will check it out later.

peedee

young thomas replied on 25/06/2019 18:56

Posted on 25/06/2019 13:40 by Ayf

Hi BB, the Legal Notice is highlighted on the last page of the 52-page 2019 Pilote catalogue; as below:

LEGAL NOTICE:
Official seating classification and Mass in Running Order are calculated as accurately as possible in compliance with European legislation. These take into account
basic and standard equipment with a tolerance of +/- 5%. Mass In Running Order figures include freshwater tanks with a capacity of 20 litres and diesel tanks
90% full, one gas bottle 90% full, but do not include the weight of the driver or other occupants.

Posted on 25/06/2019 18:56

Ayf, thanks for that.....I did say 'would normally include' the weight of the driver but this is worrying...

a few years ago, included MIRO items were well known in the industry and then later it became acceptable for converters to include (exclude...) what they liked, as long as it was listed somewhere....

this gave carte Blanche to the industry who promptly decided that (for most vans) this would include NO water (rather than the 90% previously....and vans miraculously got (say) an extra 90kg payload....

if we are now saying that the nominal 75kg of the driver is excluded then (even with 20kg included) we now have an extra 'apparent' 145kg of payload which is not usable in the real world...

the worrying thing for me is that salesman won't be highlighting these shortcomings (not that they are forthcoming now) and many a buyer might now be sold an unusable van....

i like pilote vans but that is sneaky and not what the industry should be doing...

poor show.

young thomas replied on 25/06/2019 19:04

Posted on 25/06/2019 14:29 by MichaelT

Posted on 25/06/2019 19:04

the new Ducato is being converted now for 2020 season vans and, amongst other things, includes a new 9-speed torque converter gearbox.

i don't know what the handbrake will be like, the exterior of the van itself is very, very much an evolution not a revolution....

incidently, the fly-off handbrake in the Merc was always central between the front seats (may have moved on new model?....) but was totally impractical for swivelling seats without it...

the Ducato handbrake is a bit of a stretch for some (extenders available) but is better placed, out of the way...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook