Pilote P746C 2019

Annie Adria replied on 24/06/2019 07:15

Posted on 24/06/2019 07:15

We are the very proud owners of a new Pilote P46C but have two 'irritations' about which we are seeking help.

1) The Pilote Experience tablet fails to show the correct battery charge level.  We have two solar panels and two leisure batteries and have ensured that these are accurately reflected in the settings, but the reading steadfastly refuses to show >85% charge and we know this is not right.  Anybody else experienced this?

2) We have a Fiat Ducato automatic gearbox; this does not have a park setting.  If we need to use levelling blocks, there seems no way we can then make use of the driver's swivel chair as it is impeded by the handbrake.  Are we missing something or is this a design fault?

Thank you.

young thomas replied on 24/06/2019 08:53

Posted on 24/06/2019 08:53

1. not sure about the calibration of the 'tablet' (app?) just ensure that the mains charger and solar controller are set to the correct charging profile for your battery type....gel/lead acid/ AGM etc...

2. standard ducato seats can be swivelled with the handbrake fully engaged (I've done it on all four of our vans) but it might mean a little back and forth sliding as you spin the chair. one you've grasped and mastered this, it becomes automatic and straightforward.  

good luck with your new van

MichaelT replied on 24/06/2019 12:25

Posted on 24/06/2019 12:25

We have same issue with the handbrake, to fully swivel it round like BB says you have to go back and forward a bit but also release the handbrake if you want to turn fully180 degrees.  For the comfromatic gearbox you must never leave it in Neutral but always in gear when turning the engine off, this will then hold the van in gear and you can safely release the handbrake even on blocks to move the chair round then re-apply for safety once done.  If you turn engine off whilst in Neutral you will get a beeping and a warning on the dashboard.

Annie Adria replied on 24/06/2019 13:52

Posted on 24/06/2019 13:52

Thanks for the advice on the 'swivelling', I shall try that out this weekend.  I think the tablet app has flawed software/firmware.

young thomas replied on 24/06/2019 19:01

Posted on 24/06/2019 19:01

a couple of other points....remember to re cab seats

ease the steering wheel and push it forward into the dash to give more room to swivel....

also, I've seen hand brake modes documented where a small 'spacer' is inserted to push the handbrake a tad further away from the driver to give a little more room to the seat squab....apparently, no impact on handbrake use. 

i must say, I just did mine earlier when arriving on site and it took me less than 15 seconds to spin them both....

just to add, I see you have the P model (low profile) whereas.Michael and I have A classes which give more width to the cab area.

i just read an article where a van (Chausson) was on a Transit base and the cab doors had to be opened to enable the seats to be swivelled....frown

Tinwheeler replied on 24/06/2019 19:25

Posted on 24/06/2019 19:25

There are handbrake levers available for many base vehicles which lie flat after the brake is applied. We had one on our Merc Sprinter. Google collapsible handbrake levers for info.

The Fiat automatic is an automated manual gearbox and cannot have a park position. Leaving it in gear is no substitute for the handbrake in my opinion. 

PS. The Highway Code states in Rule 239 that the hand/parking brake must always be applied when a vehicle is parked.

Ayf replied on 24/06/2019 22:34

Posted on 24/06/2019 22:34

If your Pilote is built on the standard camper chassis then be very careful if its registered at 3.5T.

The P746C has a payload (before any EU allowances) of 550kg for the basic model and 490kg for the Sensation trim but this only includes 20 litres of water, 90% fuel and one gas bottle.

This does not include the weight of the driver; the three other passengers; the oven, the 150BHP upgrade (15kg), the comformatic box (17kg), awning, tv and aerial,  solar panel, water, radio, personal gear, any factory options etc etc so with two people you'll be on the maximum axle weights before you know it.

Great quality vans but this should not be sold as a 4-berth van due to its payload restrictions, even if registered at 3,650 or 3,850kg unless it is built on the maxi chassis @ 4.4T.

MichaelT replied on 25/06/2019 08:52

Posted on 24/06/2019 19:25 by Tinwheeler

There are handbrake levers available for many base vehicles which lie flat after the brake is applied. We had one on our Merc Sprinter. Google collapsible handbrake levers for info.

The Fiat automatic is an automated manual gearbox and cannot have a park position. Leaving it in gear is no substitute for the handbrake in my opinion. 

PS. The Highway Code states in Rule 239 that the hand/parking brake must always be applied when a vehicle is parked.

Posted on 25/06/2019 08:52

Agree about engaging handbrake but its OK to hold it on the gear whilst swivelling the seat, but re-apply afterwards.  

I do wonder if in the new version of the Ducato coming out next year if they will have an electronic handbrake like cars, would be a real boon in the MH.

peedee replied on 25/06/2019 10:02

Posted on 25/06/2019 10:02

its OK to hold it on the gear whilst swivelling the seat, but re-apply afterwards

That is exactly what I do.

peedee

young thomas replied on 25/06/2019 12:52

Posted on 24/06/2019 22:34 by Ayf

If your Pilote is built on the standard camper chassis then be very careful if its registered at 3.5T.

The P746C has a payload (before any EU allowances) of 550kg for the basic model and 490kg for the Sensation trim but this only includes 20 litres of water, 90% fuel and one gas bottle.

This does not include the weight of the driver; the three other passengers; the oven, the 150BHP upgrade (15kg), the comformatic box (17kg), awning, tv and aerial,  solar panel, water, radio, personal gear, any factory options etc etc so with two people you'll be on the maximum axle weights before you know it.

Great quality vans but this should not be sold as a 4-berth van due to its payload restrictions, even if registered at 3,650 or 3,850kg unless it is built on the maxi chassis @ 4.4T.

Posted on 25/06/2019 12:52

agree, we should all be aware of the weight of our vans and weighing them, in a known state, is recommended.

just a point, the MIRO (mass in running order) would normally include the weight of the driver....but any long van (7.5m or so and over) will be difficult to manage at 3.5t....

however, upgrading to 3650/3850 or even purchasing on the heavy chassis will require C1 license.....

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook